In India, Shilajit has been used since ages. The Vedas have references of shilajit as used by the ancient health physicians in numerous ways for curing number of health problems. Although, scientific benefits of shilajit is still under research but Planet Ayurveda recommends its use as a dietary and best anti-aging supplement only. It can be used as a supplement only and should not be taken in place of proper medical treatment.
Charak Samhita Sthana 1st chapter deals with anti-aging treatments which consists of 4 chapters. It deals with anti-aging recipes using Triphala, Long pepper, Amla and Shilajit.
In this article, we are going to discuss the properties of Shilajit as an anti-aging Rasayana.
Shilajit Qualities and Uses
Botanical Name: Asphaltum
In Ayurveda, Shilajit is known as conqueror of mountains or destroyer of weakness.
- Astringent taste
- Not very sour
- Undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion.
- Neither too hot/nor too cold
- It exudes from the stones/ores of the four types of metals—gold, silver, black iron and copper. The shilajit obtained from the black iron ore is the best.
- Its potency increases by impregnating it with the Kashaya of herbs which can alleviate Vata, Pitta and kapha.
- Impregnation can be done by these drugs individually or by all of them taken together.
- It is rich in anti-oxidants that our body requires to flush out toxins. Because it is rich in anti-oxidants, many people take it as a natural supplement for anti-aging.
- It is rich in Humic acid and Fulvic acid
- It helps to increase stamina and vigor.
- It is considered as a good Ayurvedic supplement for relieving stress and mind relaxation.
- Anti-oxidants present in Shilajit help in the rejuvenation of brain cells.
- The trace elements present in Shilajit act as co-enzyme factors that help in enzyme action.
Shilajit used as Rasayana
Shilajit capsules is immersed into the hot decoction of the drugs that are prescribed for alleviating the aggravation of the doshas and after it has absorbed the decoction, it should be immersed again. This process must be repeated for 7 days. For example, Shilajit mixed with iron in the powder form must be taken with milk.
Benefits of taking Shilajit
- It prevents aging and diseases.
- Shilajit is an elixir for a long life.
- It is an excellent herb for promoting sturdiness in the body.
- It also promotes intellect and memory.
How long Must Shilajit be taken?
- For excellent effect – Shilajit must be taken for 7 weeks.
- For moderate effect – Shilajit must be taken for 3 weeks.
- For very little effect – Shilajit can be taken for 1 week.
Varieties of Shilajit and their utility
1. Shilajit obtained from the stones containing gold – Stones of metal like gold in the mountains get heated up by the sun and exudate that comes out in the form of smooth and clean gum is known as “Shilajit”.
Properties of Shilajit obtained from the stones containing gold
- Sweet and bitter in taste.
- Undergoes pungent taste after digestion.
- It has pungent taste
- It is white and cooling in nature.
- Undergoes sweet taste after digestion.
- It is bitter in taste
- Undergoes hot and pungent taste after digestion.
- It is bitter and saline in taste.
- It is cooling in nature.
- Undergoes pungent taste after digestion.
- It is derived from the stone containing iron. This variety of Shilajit is the best among all.
- In diseases caused by Vata – Pitta imbalance – gold containing stones are beneficial.
- In diseases caused by Kapha – Pitta imbalance – silver containing stones are beneficial.
- In diseases caused by Kapha imbalance – copper containing stones are beneficial.
- In all the three doshas – iron containing stones are beneficial.
- Foods that cause burning sensation and heavy foods must be avoided.
- Horse gram (Kultha) must be avoided forever or till such time as the person has the effects of Shilajit in his body.
- Decoction of different types of drugs.
2. Shilajit obtained from the stone containing silver
3. Shilajit obtained from the stones containing copper
In addition to these varieties, there are exudates that look like the gum of Guggulu (Commifora mukul). Its properties are
All these types of Shilajit having the smell of cow’s urine are useful in all types of therapies. However, for the rejuvenation therapy, the variety of Shilajit derived from the stone containing iron is more useful.
Shilajit capsules of Planet Ayurveda
Shilajit capsules of planet Ayurveda is the best supplement for anti-aging which is also beneficial in preventing a large number of diseases. The major reason of efficacy is attributed to the richness in humic compounds, an individual will start getting the result within 5-7 days of its usage. It can also be used as a natural rejuvenator by anyone who wants to feel anti-aging benefits of shilajit. Its medicinal properties make it a good adaptogen, rejuvenative, restorative and “Rasayana”.
Shilajit capsules of Planet Ayurveda are 100% pure, natural and contain high quality extract of potent Shilajit resin. It is procured from the best available trees under completely hygienic conditions. At Planet Ayurveda, the manufacturing of capsules is done in closed germ-free environment and the packaging of the Shilajit capsules is done with minimum human intervention. Planet Ayurveda strives to bring you anything but the best.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water or with milk.
Reason for avoiding Kultha (horse gram) in diet while taking Shilajit –
It is a well-established fact that horse gram is an excellent drug for breaking stones. By taking Shilajit, the body of a person becomes like a stone to effect sturdiness in it. Therefore, horse gram and Shilajit have mutually contra-indicating effects. So, it is prohibited for an individual who is used or has used Shilajit.
Ingredients that can be taken with Shilajit
Uses of Shilajit
There is no curable disease in the universe which is not effectively cured by Shilajit when administered at the appropriate time, in the combination of suitable drugs or by adopting a suitable method. When administered to a healthy person, it produces immense energy.