Dengue has become the most important arboviral infection worldwide with more than 30 million of dengue fever estimated each year. Dengue viruses are arthropod born viruses. It is spread by the bite of infected Aedes mosquito. It causes a wide spectrum of illness from mild asymptomatic illness to severe fatal dengue haemorrhagic fever or dengue shock syndrome. But the good news that dengue fever can be cured by the number herbs which can be easily obtained by nature and are also low cost and free from any side effects. Dengue fever can be cured by various home remedies.
What are the symptoms of dengue fever?
- Pain in the abdomen
- Pain in the back of eyes
- Pain in bones, muscles or joints
- Red spots or rashes
- Fever that goes around 104°C
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Sore throat
Neem (Azadirachta indica)
Its root, bark, gum, flower, stem and seed oil are used for various medicinal purposes. It decreases Pitta because it contains potent anti-microbial phyto-chemicals hence useful in fever. It is considered a natural detoxifier. Boil neem leaves in water and then drink this water twice a day which helps in increasing blood platelet count and white blood cell count. Neem oil is also a purifying agent. 50-60 ml of neem oil can be applied on warm damp cloth and kept on the forehead for 2-3 times daily. Neem powder can also be taken in the dosages between 5-6 grams 2-3 times daily.
Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum)
- Tulsi is commonly known as holy basil. Tulsi has pungent and astringent properties. Tulsi plant when kept in homes help to keep the dengue fever mosquito at bay because mosquito fly away by the fragrance of tulsi leaves. Take herbal tulsi tea prepared from tulsi leaves twice a day. For preparing tulsi tea, take tulsi leaves, wash them and dry them under the shade. Mix 1 teaspoon of Tulsi leaf powder in water and boil it. Take this tulsi tea twice a day but do not add milk to it. It is digestive and immune-boosting.
- To increase the blood count, pomegranate juice or black grape juice should be given. Orange juice can also be taken as it helps in digestion, increases urinary output, promotes anti-bodies and promotes fast healing and recovery.
- Herbal tea prepared from fenugreek seeds can be taken twice a day as this drink acts as soothing also acts as cleansing tea.
- Ginger water – Boiled ginger water can also be given to the patients suffering from dengue fever ginger water acts as reinforcement of the body and reduces the effects of nausea that is often experienced in dengue fever.
- Coconut water contains minerals and electrolytes which is necessary to maintain ion balance in dengue patients.
- Squeeze and make juice of 2 pieces of raw papaya leaves with a filter cloth. Cook this juice with hot water. Take 2 tablespoons of this juice daily. It is a natural remedy for dengue fever.
Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Giloy is known by the name ‘Amrita’. It means nectar. It protects and guards body from diseases. It is useful in fevers like dengue fever. Its main activity is immuno-modulation. It helps in increasing natural immune system by increasing white blood corpuscles (WBCs) in the body. The bitter properties of giloy not only cure dengue but also prevent regular recurrence of infections. For dengue, the juice extracted from approx. 1 feet long branch of giloy and 7 leaves of holy basil boiled and taken to enhance the immunity power. This remedy also increases platelet count which decreases considerably in dengue fever.
- Fruits like guava, watermelon, kiwi, papaya and citrus fruits should be included in the diet as these fruits help in the production of lymphocytes and strengthen immune system of the body. Include vegetables like – carrots, cucumber, green leafy vegetables. Take light and easily digestible food like – porridge and take plenty of fluids. Avoid the consumption of tea/coffee as they cause dehydration and take plenty of fluids as well.