Thyroid disorders are very common and tend to occur in persons of all age groups. The global incidence of thyroid disorders are increasing as the thyroid gland easily responds to the factors such as- stress and anxiety.
According to World Health Organization, about 2 billion people are iodine deficient worldwide. The iodine deficiency causes goiter and severe iodine deficiency causes Hypothyroidism.
The thyroid gland is a small and butterfly shaped gland that is situated in front of the neck. The function of thyroid gland is to produce two hormones: T3 (triiodothyronine) and T4 (thyroxin) and calcitonin. But, strictly speaking, T3 and T4 are proper thyroid hormones.
What are the functions of thyroid gland?
It is a vital hormone gland which plays a role in metabolism, growth and development of human body. It helps in regulating many body functions by secreting steady amounts of thyroid hormones into the blood stream.
- The thyroid gland is responsible for providing energy to every organ of the body.
- It controls the heart rate.
- It also controls metabolism. Therefore, it is also responsible for the functioning of digestive system.
What is Hypothyroidism?
- Hypothyroidism refers to any state that results in the deficiency of thyroid hormone including hypothalamic or pituitary disease. It refers to generalized tissue resistance to the thyroid hormone. It is also known as underactive thyroid. It affects women more frequently than men.
What are the causes of Hypothyroidism?
The balance of chemical reactions in the body gets upset when the thyroid gland does not produce enough hormones.
- Autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus or type 1diabetes.
- History of exposure to radiation to the neck or upper chest
What are the signs and symptoms of Hypothyroidism?
In the early stages, there are no noticeable symptoms of hypothyroidism. Its signs and symptoms may vary depending on the severity of the disease as this problem tends to develop slowly.
Signs and symptoms may include:
- Dry skin
- Weight gain
- Puffy face
- Muscle weakness
- Pain, stiffness and swelling in the joints
- Irregular or heavier menstruation in women
- Thinning hair
- Slowed heart rate
- Impaired memory
- Goiter (Enlarged thyroid gland)
- Elevated blood cholesterol level
- Muscle ache, tenderness and stiffness
What are the causes of Hypothyroidism according to Ayurveda?
- If we try to have a keen insight to the pathogenesis of hypothyroidism according to the principles of Ayurveda, it is basically caused due to the dysfunctioning of Agni. It is caused due to the weak metabolic fire (Jatharagni), which in turn affects Dhatavagni and brings out pathological sequence and ultimately the diseased condition develops.
- Looking into dosha imbalance, all the doshas Vata, Pitta and Kapha are vitiated with the predominance of Rasa-vaha, Medo-vaha and Mamsa-vaha doshas which are considered as the root cause of disease.
- Treatment: In spite of many advances in modern medicine, the management of Hypothyroidism still remains unsatisfactory. There is a need to search out safe, effective and natural remedies. Such remedies could be explored from the huge treasure of Ayurveda.
Home Remedies for the Treatment of Hypothyroidism
- Turmeric milk is an effective home remedy for hypothyroidism. Take boiled milk with turmeric regularly.
Bottle Gourd’s Juice:
- Take 1 glass of bottle gourd juice regularly on an empty stomach in the morning.
Tulsi and Aloe vera
- Mix 2 spoons of juice of Tulsi leaves and half spoon of aloe Vera juice and take this mixture regularly. This remedy is quite effective for hypothyroidism.
- Cut red onion into two halves and massage on thyroid gland before going to bed but do not wash the neck region after massaging.
- Coriander water is an effective remedy for treating hypothyroidism. Take fresh coriander leaves and grind them. In a glass of water, add 1 spoon of grinded coriander leaves and drink this water.
- Add 1 spoon of ashwagandha powder in a glass of warm milk and drink it before going to bed.
- Ujjayi Pranayama is quite effective in hypothyroidism. This pranayama calms the mind and relieves mental stress as well.
- Common salt should be avoided. It is a common myth that common salt contains iodine but the fact is that common salt does not contain iodine. Use only rock salt or black salt in the diet.
What are the Best Herbal Remedies for hypothyroidism?
Planet Ayurveda offers best combination of effective herbal remedies for the treatment of hypothyroidism such as Hypothyroid Care Pack. These herbal remedies are prepared according to the principles of Ayurveda and are safe to use.
Hypothyroid Care Pack of Planet Ayurveda consists of:
- Chandraprabha Vati
- Hakam Churna
- Planet Ayurveda’s Chandraprabha Vati is prepared using the ingredients as prescribed in Ayurvedic classical texts. Chandraprabha Vati helps in the proper functioning of thyroid gland and also helps in maintaining healthy weight as well. This medicine helps in reducing swelling in the thyroid gland. Thus, this tablet helps to maintain thyroid gland in a natural way without causing any side effects.
Dose: 2 tablets twice daily.
- Hakam Churna is a wonderful combination of herbs which is useful in all the inflammatory conditions and helps in indigestion as well. It is considered as a “Tridoshic Rasayana”. It balances all the three doshas of the body. This combination of herbs help in boosting the digestive fire thus works on the root cause of hypothyroidism. It also improves energy thus relieves fatigue as well.
Ingredients of Hakam Churna
|Botanical Name||Common Name||Quantity|
|1.||Lepidium sativum||Chandershoor||25 gm|
|2.||Nigella sativaa||Kalonji||25 gm|
|3.||Trigonella foenum graecum||Methi||25 gm|
|4.||Trachyspermum ammi||Ajwain||25 gm|
Dose: 1 tablespoon twice daily with plain water.
- Planet Ayurveda’s Guggullipid Capsules are prepared from the standardized extracts of Guggul (Commiphora mukul). It is known to have a strong effect on the thyroid gland. It regulates the functioning of thyroid gland and also increases the metabolism of fats thereby helps in managing weight gain also.
Dose: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water.
- Planet Ayurveda’s Gotukola Capsules are prepared from the standardized extracts of the herb Centella asiatica. This herb is known for reducing stress and anxiety and also useful in circulation. Thus, this herb is useful in restoring the hormonal imbalance.
Dose: 2 capsules twice daily.