Allergy – can be defined as an exaggerated/ hypersensitive response of our immune system to an allergen (the common substances that cause allergy such as dust mites, pollen, mold spores, pet dander, insect sting, certain medicines or foods etc.).
Some people show hyper-reactive response to some of the allergens due to biological difference of each individual. Their immune system reacts against allergen by producing Immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies which in return travel to the cells which release histamine and other chemicals.
Symptoms of Allergy
- Allergies are associated with a variety of symptoms such as sneezing, running nose, swelling, wet eyes, red eyes, itching and rashes.
- The symptoms can range from mild to severe. The severity of symptoms can vary from person to person.
Top 7 Superfoods That Fight Allergy
- Allergies can be treated with super-foods naturally.
Here we are going to discuss some Foods which can Help us During or in Preventing Allergies.
- As we all know “An apple a day, keeps the doctor away”. Because an apple a day can keep your immune system healthy and can keep allergies at bay.
- Apples are having Quercetin (a flavonoid) as its active ingredient. It is known to effectively protect against allergic reactions. It stabilizes the cell membranes of mast cells and prevents the release of excess histamine in your body.
Apple Cider Vinegar
- Apple Cider Vinegar is one of the most powerful natural remedies for allergies. The anti-inflammatory property of Apple cider vinegar makes it a wonderful remedy for treating allergic reactions.
How to Take
- Apples can be taken as raw apple or as juice.
- Apart from being a common spice in Indian foods, Turmeric is a natural healing super food.
- It’s an anti-allergy herb. Turmeric helps to extensively treat the allergies.It can treat both chronic as well as acute allergies.
- It has an active ingredient called Cur-cumin, which is known for its anti-allergic and anti-oxidant properties. It is a potent immune booster.
How to Take
- Turmeric can be taken in hot milk; it will relieve the seasonal allergies and provides immediate relief.
- Turmeric can be taken with food as a spice.
- It can be taken along with raw honey. It will help one to recover from congestion, cough, dry mouth and sneezing.
- Lemon are natural antihistamines in nature and are a great source of anti-oxidants and vitamin-C. They boost our immunity and prevent allergic reactions.
- Apart from this, lemon is also very effective in detoxification of our body.
- All these qualities of lemon make it a superfood to fight against allergies.
How to Take
- Squeeze one lemon and obtain its fresh juice, add it to warm water.
- Mix it well and add one spoon of honey. Have this mixture early morning on an empty stomach every day.
- Flax seeds are very well known for their health benefiting properties. These are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for treating inflammation, thus calm your allergies.
- They can also fight against the harmful bacteria and give relief from allergy.
- Pineapples are also needed to Include in your diet to prevent or cure allergy because of its unique active component.
- Bromelain can ward off allergies and gives you relief from discomfort caused by allergic reactions.
- As we know Green tea is rich in anti-oxidants and increases our metabolism rate.
- It also provides strength to our immune system to fight against diseases.
- By adding green tea to your diet can subsides the presenting symptoms of allergy and can prevent them getting worse.
How to Take
- Add one or two spoons of good quality green tea to warm water, you can also use dip packs.
- Allow it to steep well. Strain it into a cup and have the same 3-4 times till your symptoms of allergies are gone.
- A well known spice used in India. Garlic also possesses anti-biotic and anti-rheumatic properties.
- Moreover garlic has ability to inhibit the activity of certain enzymes, which are responsible for the production of inflammatory compounds in our body, thus helpful in relieving the symptoms of allergies.
How to Take
- You can have fresh cloves of garlic at empty stomach in the morning.
- This can help your body to fight off the allergy causing bacteria and provide strength to your immune system.
Prevention & Tips
- There are some people who are sensitive to some foods too.
- They can substitute those Superfoods with other one.
- There are few more foods in the list which are also good for the treatment of allergies. They are:- Walnuts, fatty fish like salmons, berries, ginger, onion, collard green, broccoli, cabbage, yogurt, cashew nuts etc.
- If symptoms get severe then you must consult the doctor. The information may be helpful to you to fight against the discomfort caused by allergic diseases.