Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) is also known as Fearnes syndrome. Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs), is the second most common type of infection occurring in the body and now- a-days, it is affecting millions of people each year. It involves infection of the kidneys, ureters, bladder or urethra. Women are more prone to urinary tract infections as compared to men.
Normally, urine is free of microbes but contains fluids, salts and waste products. The main cause of infections in 90% of the uncomplicated infections is the infection by E.coli bacteria. An infection occurs at the opening of urethra.
- Abnormalities of the urinary tract that hinder the flow of urine set the stage for an infection.
- This infection is the second most common reason for the prescriptionof empirical antibiotics and is a major driver of antibiotic usage and antibiotic resistance.
- Other conditions such as diabetes, bowel incontinence, reduced intake of fluids, pregnancy, immobility, kidney stones also contribute to urinary tract infection.
What are The Symptoms of Urinary Tract Infection?
Symptoms of lower Urinary Tract Infection are:
- Inflamed and irritated lining of the urethra
- Pain or burning during sensation (dysuria)
- Cloudy urine
- Sensation of having to urinate urgently
- Incomplete voiding
Symptoms of Upper Urinary Tract Infection (Pyelonephritis):
- High fever
- Shaking chills
- Pain in the back or side, usually on only one side at waist level
Causes of Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) According to Ayurveda
- According to Ayurveda, UTI is caused due to the imbalance of Pitta dosha. Pitta in Ayurveda symbolises heat or fire. This aggravated Pitta produces heating toxins in the body. These toxins accumulate in the urinary channels and create an imbalance in the infection fighting properties of the urinary system which may lead to the bacterial growth in the system leading to bacterial growth in the system.
Major Factors That Aggravate the Pitta dosha and Contribute the UTIs are:
- Drinking alcohol
- Suppressing the urge to urinate
- Habitually retaining urine for longer duration.
- Emotions such as anger, jealousy.
- Environmental factors such as fire, chemicals or toxic fumes
- Not drinking enough water
- Not maintaining personal hygiene.
Moreover, due to intake of hot, oily, spicy, sour, salty and bitter foods aggravate the condition.
There are many chemical drugs like antibiotics that work on the bacteria but these do not work on the root cause and as a result, infection often recurs. According to Ayurveda, these antibiotics further increase Pitta dosha in the body.
On the other hand, Ayurvedic natural remedies help in increasing theimmunity as well as pacify the Pitta dosha in the body and thereby give long-term relief to the patient.
Treatment of Urinary Tract Infections by Planet Ayurveda
- Although modern treatment prescribes antibiotics for the treatment of UTIs, these infections can be easily treated with herbal remedies without causing any side effects.
- Planet Ayurveda offers various herbal remedies for the treatment of Urinary Tract Infections.
These remedies are of 2 types:
- Urinary anti-septic
- Anti-adhesion herbs
Planet Ayurveda Offers UTI Care Pack which Includes:
- Punarnava Capsules
- Mutrakrichantak Churna
- Varunadi Vati
- Punarnava Capsules are prepared from the herbal extract Boerhavia diffusa. These capsules are very helpful in the treatment of inflammation and also promote the health of urinary tract and also help in maintaining efficient kidney function.
- These capsules possess diuretic properties and support the body’s ability to remove fluids.
- It helps in maintaining normal kidney functions and maintains the health of urinary tract.
- It possesses bitter, cooling and astringent properties and helps in balancing all the three doshas: Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
- It is used in urinary bladder infections as well as in systemic edema.
Dose: 1-2 capsules twice daily.
- Nature has given us various powerful herbs which are very effective for the urinary tract infections.
- Mutrakrichantak Chruna by Planet Ayurveda is a blend of these natural herbs which can cure the infection without causing any side effects as it is a safe and effective combination of herbs used in Ayurveda since 5000 B.C. for various urinary complaints like urinary infections, kidney stones, high urea and creatinine levels, painful micturition.
- It acts as a diuretic and considered as one of the best herbal remedies for all urinary tract infections.
Ingredients of Mutrakrichantak Churna
|Botanical Name||Common Name||Parts||Quantity|
|1.||Crateva nurvula||Varun||Roots||30 gm|
|2.||Boerhavia diffusa||Punarnava||Roots||30 gm|
|3.||Tribulus terrestris||Gokshur||Whole||30 gm|
|4.||Chicorium intybus||Kaasni||Leaves||30 gm|
|5.||Phyllanthus niruri||Bhumi amla||Whole||20 gm|
|6.||Albizzia lebbok||Shirish||Bark||20 gm|
|7.||Moringa oleifera||Shigru||Bark||20 gm|
|8.||Achyranthes aspera||Apamarg||Fruits/Seeds||10 gm|
Dose: 1-2 teaspoonful twice daily.
- Varunadi Vati is an Ayurvedic herbal product prepared from the herb Crataeva nurvula.
- This tablet helps in reducing the chances of kidney stones and urinary tract infection.
- It also helps in reducing the toxins accumulated due to insufficient kidneys.
- This tablet helps in curing the urinary tract infections in a natural way without causing any side effects.
- It is useful in dysuria and urinary retention. It balances all the three doshas in the body.
Dose: 2 tablets twice daily.
Diet in Urinary Tract Infections
- Increase the intake of water. Drink at least 8-10 glasses every day as water helps in flushing out the toxins from the body.
- Take cranberry juice regularly as it helps in flushing the bacteria from the urinary tract.
- Drink pomegranate juice regularly as it is considered as an excellent purifying drink and also reduces proliferation of bacteria.
- Include Pitta pacifying herbs in the diet such as red sandalwood, licorice extract, green cardamom in the diet.
- The foods such as alcohol, caffeine, carbonated beverages, processed and refined foods, refined sugars should be avoided as these foods have an adverse effect on the bladder.
- Take coconut water regularly in the diet as it is an excellent pitta pacifier.
- Avoid working in the sun or in a hot atmosphere.
- Take cold water bath 2-3 times a day with ½ teaspoon of powdered red sandalwood added.