Asthma is a most common disease now a days .According to ayurveda asthma is known as ‘Swash Roga’.It is a condition in which there is obstruction in the flow of air in the lungs. It is an inflammatory disease which mainly rises from allergies. Asthma is a chronic condition involving the respiratory system in which patient experiences shortness of breath. Asthma attack commonly triggers due to air pollution, allergies, cold air, heartburn, respiratory diseases, smoke, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and strong fragrances. These all makes difficulty in breathing and causes coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath. Some common causes of asthma are allergens from nature like house dust mite, cockroach, grass, pollen, foods, climatic changes, animals (cats, dogs) etc.
To avoid asthma attacks always avoid highly polluted areas. Genetic factors and family history are also the causes of asthma. Nowdays, asthma is mostly found in children of small age group. Always avoid allergy-inducing properties like dust, tiny particles of pollen, mold, fibers from clothing and detergents, always remove dust particles from sheets, blankets, mattresses, carpets, stuffed toys etc.
Regular exercise should be done by asthmatic patients as it helps in strengthening of heart and lungs. Asthmatic patient should always avoid processed, packaged foods, milk and dairy products.
Home Remedies for Asthma
- As homemade remedies are best and immediately taken by patient so asthmatic patients should drink a glass of 2/3 carrot juice and 1/3 spinach juice daily 3 times a day.
- Patient in this condition should avoid fried and processed foods. He/She should avoid food like rice, curd, buttermilk sugar, lentils, heavy milk products like cheese, paneer etc as it has natural tendency to produce phlegm or to accumulate the mucus.
- Patient should drink plenty of boiled water. Patient should avoid over eating and take light dinner 1 hour before going to bed. Patient should take fruits like guava, papaya, watermelon and banana.
- Always take a mixture of 1 teaspoon of water and 2 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice twice a day. Ayurveda describes 3 factors that causes asthma diet related factors, work related factors and other factors are the main cause of asthmatic attack.
Tips for Asthma Patients
- Patient should go for morning walk and evening walk and should do some yoga asana like bhujang asana, paschimottan asan, ardh matasyendra asan, shava asan, and mainly pranayama should be practiced in daily routine life specially kapalbhati pranayama. Breathing exercises are very useful in asthmatic patients as it helps in reduction of asthma.
- As in allopathic treatment people use to take non- steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), oral steroids, oral bronchodilators, immunomodulator for asthmatic attack which is not good for long term as it causes side effects in body so people should always prefer home remedies for asthmatic attack conditions.
As asthma can also be treated at home with some simple herbs which is easily available at home and can be cured at home only:-
- If patient is having dry type asthma patient should massage the body daily with sesame oil to add moisture to the body and patient should try to eat food that are moist and warm rather than cold, raw and rough dry food.
- If patient is having infection type asthma than patient should try to ingest more turmeric, use Echinacea in the form of tea and dandelion to prevent infections and boost immune system in body.
- If patient is having congestive type asthma he/she should avoid dairy, wheat products, refined sugar, excess sweet, sour and salty foods. Patient should massage the chest and back with mustard oil to promote circulation in chest.
- A mixture of black pepper, cumin, ginger and turmeric can be ground together and mixed with honey to make paste. A teaspoon of this mixture should be taken by the patient daily as it is useful in clearing the chest.
- Patient should apply Eucalyptus oil, cinnamon oil or clove oil to the chest as it helps to improve breathing problems.
- Patient should take 1 teaspoon honey with 1 teaspoon of Indian bay leaf ( cinnamomum tamala) powder before going to bed at night as it helps in preventing asthmatic attack at night.
- Patient should make paste of Black resin, dates, long pippali (Piper Longum) and honey in equal quality. Take 1 teaspoonful of it in morning and evening with warm milk daily as it is helpful in asthmatic attack.
- Patient should take 10 cloves of garlic boiled with 30 ml of milk once a day to get relief from asthma.
- Patient should make powder of 2gms of dry ginger, Nutgrass, Cyperus rotundus and Bharangi and mix them in water to prepare a paste which should be taken with lukewarm water two times daily.
- Patient should take a teaspoon of fresh ginger juice mixed with a cup of fenugreek decoction and honey to taste as it is very helpful in asthma.
These all are the top Home Remedies for Asthma which can be simply done at home and asthmatic attack can be prevented easily at any time. As all these things are easily available at home.