Top 10 Health Benefits of Fresh Pomegranate Juice
In Ayurveda, pomegranate is used for its health benefits from thousands of years. Its health benefits are innumerable.
Medicinal qualities of Pomegranate:
- Qualities: light to digest, unctuous and oily
- Taste: sweet, sour and astringent
- Undergoes sweet or sour taste after digestion
- Potency: neither cold nor sweet.
- Effect on Tridosha: Balances all the three doshas. There are only a handful of herbs with Tridosha balance effect. Pomegranate is one of them.
It is a proven rich source of anti-oxidants hence very good for heart. This fact is proved by modern science but it is interesting to know that this finding matches with heart health claim by centuries old Ayurveda matches with the scientific research. Pomegranate fruit is also a good source of Vitamin C, B5, potassium and polyphenols.
- The gastro-intestinal tract represents an important barrier between the human hosts and microbial populations. One potential consequence of host-microbial interactions is the development of mucosal inflammation which can lead to ulcerative colitis.
- Pomegranate juice possesses anti-inflammatory properties so used as a home remedy for ulcerative colitis. Fresh pomegranate juice is recommended for ulcerative colitis as it is a very effective remedy for arresting diarrhoea associated with blood in the stools. 50 to 100 ml of fresh pomegranate juice can be consumed by the patients suffering from ulcerative colitis regularly.
- Fresh pomegranate juice plays a vital role in the secretion of enzymes which aids in proper digestion. The high amount of dietary fibre, both soluble and insoluble in pomegranate helps in regulating bowel movement. It is very light on stomach as it undergoes digestion very easily. It has astringent taste which helps to relieve diarrhoea, hence useful in ulcerative colitis. It also improves digestion power of stomach.
- Fresh pomegranate juice also helps in increasing the red blood corpuscles in the body since it contains ample amount of iron and helps in surmounting the red blood cells in the body.
- Fresh pomegranate juice helps in keeping the arteries flexible by decreasing the inflammation in the lining of the blood vessels. It also lowers the risk of blockage in the arteries which causes restriction in the flow of blood to the heart and brain. It has anti-atherogenic effect on the hart. It also lowers the amount of bad cholesterol or LDL that is retained in the body and also increases the amount of HDL or good cholesterol. It also acts as a natural aspirin.
Maintains Blood Pressure
- Fresh pomegranate juice is known to reduce high blood pressure. The juice also reduces lesions and the inflammation of blood vessels.
- Fresh pomegranate juice has anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties which help to fight various infections. It also reduces the microbes that are found in the mouth commonly responsible for cavities and staphylococcus infections.
- Fresh pomegranate juice acts plays an important role by acting as an inhibitor on enzymes that are responsible for damaging the cartilage. It is therefore recommended for the patients suffering from osteoarthritis which is characterised by the breakdown of the joint’s cartilage. It also relieves the symptoms of arthritis and bone inflammation.
- Fresh pomegranate juice is extremely beneficial for expecting mothers. It is a good source of a number of vitamins and minerals including folic acid which is a crucial element of a pre-natal diet. It also ensures a healthy blood flow, which is essential for the overall development of the foetus. It is known to lower the risk of premature child birth. Regular consumption of fresh pomegranate juice by expectant mothers reduces the risk of premature child birth.
- Fresh pomegranate juice can slow down the process of aging by reducing wrinkles and fine lines caused by constant exposure to sun. It also prevents hyper-pigmentation and occurrence of dark spots. It also helps in improving skin texture. For excellent results, take 1 glass of fresh pomegranate juice regularly empty stomach in the morning.
- Fresh pomegranate juice is a natural aphrodisiac and improves sperm count and semen quality.
- Regular intake of pomegranate juice may also curb the onset of neurological problems like Alzheimer disease.
- Fresh pomegranate juice is a rich source of anti-oxidants thus helps in preventing cancer. It is known to induce apoptosis, where body destroys its own cells.
So, if yet not, make this wonderful drink part of your daily die plan and stay healthy!