Top 10 Effective Home Remedies for Oily Skin in Summer
Oily skin is very painful and irritating to deal. Skin becomes oily due to excessive accumulation of oil on the outer layer of skin which often leads to blackheads, whiteheads, blind pimples and other skin irritations.
But there is one greater advantage. In case of oily skin aging occurs slowly as compared to dry skin or normal skin. Wrinkles also appear less in case of oily skin.
In case of oily skin sebaceous glands produce excess sebum. In such case person has large pores on skin which is shiny.
Causes of Oily Skin
- Oily skin can be caused by dietary choices, genetics, excessive stress or hormonal changes in the body most commonly due to puberty.
- Women also are at greater risk to have an oily skin during pregnancy, menstrual cycles, menopause and while taking birth control pills or oral contraceptives.
- Skin most commonly becomes oily during summers but is not that difficult to manage. There are several home remedies which are effective and safe to use for oily skin. These natural remedies are as follows:
Top 10 Home Remedies for Oily Skin
Now we are explaining top 10 effective home remedies for oily skin in summer.
1) Egg Whites
- Egg whites are rich in vitamin A. Egg whites are able to dry out skin blemishes as well as tighten up and tone oily skin.
- Whip one egg white and spread it on your skin especially face. Allow it to dry and then rinse it off with warm water after few minutes. Do this twice a week for amazing results.
- Another option is to whip one egg white, add juice of half lemon and mix it well. Spread the mixture on your face, leave it to dry for at least 15 minutes and then wash it off with warm water. This will soak up excess oil and tighten the skin.
2) Lemon Juice
- Lemon juice works like an astringent due to the presence of citric acid. It also has antiseptic properties so that it can restore the skin’s pH balance and lighten the discolorations of skin.
- Add one teaspoon of fresh lemon juice into one-half teaspoon of distilled water. Using a cotton ball, apply it on your skin. Leave it on for at least10 minutes and then rinse your face with warm water. Apply some oil-free moisturizer as lemon juice can dry out your skin. Do this once daily for better results.
- Add one tablespoon of lemon juice into one tablespoon of milk and one-half tablespoon of honey. Spread this paste on your face and leave it on for at least 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing it off with cold water. This remedy will give you positive results within a week, if you will do it once daily.
- Due to the presence of lactic acid it helps in gently exfoliating the skin and also helps in absorption of excess oil from the face.
- Spread at least one tablespoon of plain yogurt thoroughly over your face and leave it on for 15 minutes. Then wash it off with cool water. Do this once daily for better results.
- Another option is to mix one tablespoon organic yogurt into one tablespoon of ground oatmeal. Then add this in one teaspoon of warm honey. Spread the mixture on your face. Leave it on for minimum 10 to 15 minutes and then wash with warm water.
- Due to their cooling, clarifying and astringent properties, tomatoes are great for oily skin especially in summers. Tomatoes are very helpful for acne-prone skin due to the presence of high vitamin C content. Its natural oil-absorbing acids helps in getting rid of excess oil.
- Cut a tomato in 2 pieces and rub it on your face for at least 15 minutes until the skin soaks the juice of tomato. Rinse your skin with cold water, pat it dry and then apply a light oil free moisturizer.
- They have mild astringent, soothing and antiseptic properties which make them a great home remedy for oily skin. Due to the presence of malic acid, apples help in exfoliating the dead skin cells and also helps in the absorption of excess oil from the surface of skin.
- Grate an apple and spread the shreds on your skin. Leave it on the skin for at least 15 minutes and then wash it off with tap water.
- Another option is to add one teaspoon of grated apple, yogurt into lemon juice to make a smooth paste. Spread it all over your face and leave it on for at least 15 minutes. Then rinse your face with cool water.
- Due to their cooling, astringent, and soothing properties, cucumbers are very beneficial for oily skin. It is wonderful for oily skin as it is rich in vitamin and mineral content including vitamin E, vitamin A, magnesium, and potassium.
- Divide fresh organic cucumber into thick slices, and rub them on your face. Leave it overnight and wash with warm water in the morning. For better results, do this daily before going to bed.
7) Apple Cider Vinegar
- The antibacterial properties of apple cider vinegar helps in the treatment of acne which occurs due to combination of oily skin and bacteria. It is rich in alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) which further helps in toning and moisturizing oily skin.
- Add 1 teaspoon of ACV in a glass of warm water and have this drink regularly before going to bed.
- Milk acts as an oil-free cleanser which makes oily skin supple and soft. Milk is rich in alpha hydroxy acids which gently exfoliates the skin and also helps in maintaining skin’s natural pH balance.
- Add 2 drops of sandal wood oil into 2 tablespoons of milk and apply this mixture to the face , go to sleep and wash it off with cold water next morning.
9) Aloe Vera
- The antimicrobial properties of aloe Vera helps in treating acne-prone oily skin. Aloe Vera helps in absorbing excess oil from the surface of skin.
- Extract the pulp from 2 fresh aloe Vera leaves and apply it on your face on the regular basis and then rinse off with water.
- It also helps in absorbing excess oil from the skin. Its moisturizing properties, helps in nourishing the skin.
- Spread a layer of honey on your face, leave it for 15 minutes and then wash your face. Do this twice daily for better results.