NATURAL WAYS TO TREAT SEASONAL ALLERGY SYMPTOMS
Everyone eagerly waits for the season change either it is winters, summers, spring and monsoon. Everyone wants to enjoy this beautiful cycle of nature. But it is pathetic that every season brings some health issues for us. Seasonal allergies are also one of these problems. Though there is no permanent treatment for allergy. But with the help of home remedies and diet, one can treat the seasonal allergy symptoms. Coughing, sneezing, red eyes and rashes on the skin are the problems associated with allergies.
Allergies occur when antibodies formed by our immune system recognize an allergen as harmful, and in real it is not. So every time when a person comes in the contact with allergen, there is impairment of tri dosha –vata, pitta and kapha. According to Ayurveda these doshas are mandatory for a healthy body. So imbalance of these doshas results in the seasonal allergies.
1. NETTLE-PEPPERMINT TEA:
Nettle comes under the category of those herbs which help to reduce the seasonal allergy symptoms. On the other hand peppermint is packed with flavonoid, luteolin-7-O-rutinoside. It is helpful to inhibit secretion of histamine (inflammatory enzymes) and thus helps to reduce the discomfort of allergies.
Directions for use:
- Take teaspoon of dried peppermint and 1 teaspoon of dried nettle leaf.
- Alternatively one can also use the ¼ cup of fresh chopped peppermint and ¼ cup chopped fresh nettle leaf.
- Add nettle and peppermint leaves in the boiling water. Steep it for 10-15 minutes and then strain.
- Add honey or lemon according to taste. Drink this tea two times in day, it is good for allergy relief.
Some allergies are at peak in the summer and spring. So consumption of citrus drinks is good for seasonal allergies. Citrus drinks are rich in vitamin C, so these help to strengthen the immune system.
Directions to use:
Squeeze the juice from the oranges and lemon. Stir it with the honey, and drink every day for better results.
3. RED ONION WATER:
Onions are packed with a water soluble chemical compound called as quercetin.
This compound is known to be effective to reduce the histamine production, inhibit inflammation, acts as a bronchodilator which helps in opening of airways and ease the breathing. Thus quercetin is very beneficial to reduce the symptoms of allergy.
Directions to use:
Soak the thin slices of onion in water for 8-12 hours. Then drink this water 2 times every day. Honey can also be added according to taste.
4. APPLE WALNUT REMEDY:
Walnuts contains the good amount of magnesium hence help to ease the symptoms like wheezing or coughing in allergies. Moreover vitamin E present in the walnuts is good to enhance the immunity and also protects the body from allergens. Like onions, apple also contains quercetin which is good to reduce the production of histamine.
Directions to use:
Chop 2 walnuts and one apple into small sized pieces. Then mix them well. One can also add other ingredients like dried cherries and sunflower seeds. Consume it 1-2 times in a day.
5. LOCAL HONEY:
Consumption of local honey, produced by the local bees is quite effective to prevent the seasonal allergies. Reason behinds this is – bees transfer pollens from flowers to honey. So, by consuming small amounts of honey everyday then one gets immune to the pollens and prevent the symptoms of seasonal allergies.
HERBS USED IN SEASONAL ALLERGIES
There are some herbs which are commonly used in our kitchen are also good to manage the seasonal allergies which are given below:
- Haridra (Curcuma longa) is packed with anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. Thus it is good for seasonal allergies.
- Tulsi(Ocimum sanctum)is packed with amazing medicinal properties and quite effective to relieve the symptoms of allergies.
- Neem(Azadirachtaindica)is very good for the seasonal allergies especially for skin allergies.
- Mulethi(Glycyrrhiza glabra)is known to be very effective to relieve the symptoms of allergies like cough, sneezing and congestion
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)is very potent herb in Ayurveda. It helps to strengthen the immune system and is also packed with anti inflammatory properties thus good for seasonal allergies.
DIET REMEDIES FOR SEASONAL ALLERGIES
Foods to be taken During Allergy Season:
- Apple cider vinegar
Foods to be avoided during Allergy Season:
- Artificial sweeteners
- Processed foods
- Bottled citrus juice
Tips– Cover your face in dusty surroundings in order to avoid contact with pollens.