What is ulcerative colitis? Causes, symptoms and treatment
The art of healing comes from nature and not from the physician. Therefore, the physician must start from nature with an open mind. Ayurveda is the safest science of healing. There are numerous diseases in this world and they all bring their consequences along with them.In Ayurveda we have Effective Ayurvedic Medicine for Ulcerative Colitis. Along with Diet that works in a natural way.
KNOW ABOUT ULCERATIVE COLITIS!
Ulcerative colitis is one such disorder which inflames the large intestine and causes discomfort. Hence, it is also categorized under Inflammatory Bowel Disease. This disorder produces small sores on the colon lining. These ulcers start erupting in the rectum and escalate upwards and the small intestine getting damaged below the lower part is very rare. This inflammation quickly regulates the bowel very frequently. These sores may cause bleeding or even exude pus. Though, this ailment can affect anyone but it is more common in age groups of 15 to 30 and 50 to 70.
WHAT CAUSES ULCERATIVE COLITIS?
The exact cause of Ulcerative Colitis is not yet known but according to studies immune system malfunction is the only cause known. Stress and unhealthy diet helps in triggering the disorder. Herbal remedies for Ulcerative Colitis can help to a great extent to cure this disorder.
- Rectal bleeding
- Weight loss
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Not able to eliminate excreta despite the urgency
- Severe dehydration
- Inflamed skin and joints
- Mouth ulcers
- Liver disorders
- Escalated risk of colon cancer
- Bone loss
- Puffy face
- Blood tests
- Stool samples
- CT scan
THE AYURVEDIC VIEW OF ULCERATIVE COLITIS
- According to Ayurveda, ulcerative colitis is mainly a disorder due to imbalanced pitta with varying degrees of Vata involvement. The latter determines how extensively the inflammatory process will spread proximally and the development of extra intestinal manifestations. The natural qualities and actions of Pitta are manifested wholly or partially and can be observed. The inherent Pitaj qualities are: heat, sharpness, liquidity, and light, slight unctuousness, sour or pungent smell, acidic or sour taste, red, yellow, and dark blue colors.
- The natural actions of Pitta include: burning sensation, heat, pus formation (suppuration), perspiration, putrification, itching, bleeding (raktasrava), anger, and intensity.The excessive consumption of Pitaj ahara (Pitta-aggravating foods) and Pitta-aggravating regimens initially damages both rakta dhatu and mamsa dhatu. Vata dosha in the lower colon is also aggravated and in the early stages blocks the Pitta and Kapha channels causing further inflammation, mucous accumulation and edema.
This powdered Ayurvedic formulation works wonders in curing Ulcerative colitis. It is a powerful blend of herbs which have miraculous benefits. Vatsakadi churna is a product of Planet Ayurveda and it has successfully cured so many patients suffering from Ulcerative colitis. The list of ingredients is mentioned below.
- Kutaj [Holarrhena antidysentrica]
- Saunf/ fennel [Fenniculum vulgare]
- Bilva [Aegle marmelos]
- Dhaniya [Coriander sativum]
- Anaar [Punica granatum]
- Cardamom [Elettaria cardamomum]
- Jaiphal [Myristica fragrans]
KUTAJ [Holarrhena antidysentrica]
- The bark of Kutaj consists of conessine, conesimine, isoconessimine, curchine, kurchisine and various other alkaline active elements. It is light to digest but this herb promotes dryness. It has bitter properties. It maintains equilibrium of three doshas. Kutaj has been used to relieve bleeding piles, bacillary dysentery and malaria. It is also useful in relieving other ailments like ulcers, pruritis, dyspepsia and jaundice.
SAUNF [Fenniculum vulgare]
- Fennel is extremely useful in curing digestive disorders like indigestion, bloating, constipation, dyspepsia, flatulence. It acts as a digestive stimulant and also boasts potent carminative properties. It comprises of Iron, copper, potassium, manganese, zinc, magnesium and selenium. Fennel seeds are also loaded with Vitamin A, B, C and E. Fennel seeds also help in cooling the body which as a result pacifies pitta dosha. Fennel seeds purify the blood and eliminate toxins from the body.
BILVA [Aegle marmelos]
- It is considered as a sacred tree in India. Bilva is useful in relieving digestive disorders like colitis and Irritable bowel syndrome. It helps in the overall functioning of the digestive system. Powder of Bilva leaves is useful in regulating blood sugar levels. The fruit eliminates extra heat from the body and relieves colitis, diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome.
DHANIA [Coriander sativum]
- Commonly known as coriander seeds, they are used as a spice in Indian cooking. It has several medicinal uses. External application of the paste of these seeds eliminates pains and swelling. These seeds have digestive, astringent, appetizer, anti-dyspeptic, liver stimulant and anthelmintic properties. The leaves of the plant are used to flavor curries in Indian cooking.
GREEN CARDAMOM [Elettaria cardamom]
- It is good for digestive system and eliminates bad breath. Cardamom aids to combat nausea, flatulence, bloating etc. it stimulates the secretion of gastric juices. Cardamom is known to balance the three doshas efficiently. It is a good source of calcium, potassium and magnesium. Cardamom has anti-oxidant and blood cell formation properties. It is used in relieving asthma, cough and other respiratory disorders. It helps in enhancing appetite and also soothes gas and heartburn.
JAIPHAL/NUTMEG [Myristica fragrans]
- It is a very good herb for enhancing digestion. It helps in efficiently relieving menstrual disorders. It has fiber which stimulates digestion by promoting peristaltic movements. It helps in secreting .It works as a stimulant and has analgesic properties. It cures indigestion and acts as a liver and kidney detoxifier. It acts as an antidepressant and reduces bloating. It alleviates the frequency and discomfort caused by constipation. It also detoxifies the body and is a rejuvenative tonic. It helps in reducing inflammation and irritation of skin.
ANAAR/POMAGRANATE [Punica granatum]
- Pomegranate eliminates imbalanced doshas and maintains equilibrium and promotes digestion. It is slightly sour and controls diarrhea. Its bark has anthelminthic properties and cures loose motion and bleeding diarrhea and treats breathing disorders. It increases appetite, balances pitta dosha and controls vomiting. It treats pain, fever, heart disorders and increases digestive fire.
- Pathya: The following specific foods are generally recommended in Ayurveda for patients of ulcerative colitis. However, not all patients will tolerate all of these food items. Your physician can provide a more individualized nutritional plan.
- Old basmati rice(3 months),barley, moong dal, urad dal, saffron, coriander, cumin, fennel, kidney beans, green lentils, cow’s milk and butter, goat’s milk and butter, almonds, water chestnut, pomegranate, banana, mango, limes, and kiwi fruit.
- Apathya: Foods to be reduced or avoided: Spicy foods, white sugar, pasta, red grapes, mustard, salty and acidic foods.