Can men get infections? Yes, men can get infections, too which can lead to a condition known as – Balanitis (inflammation of the head of the penis). Yeast infections in men are common because the fungus Candida that causes infections is generally present on the skin. Overgrowth of Candida due to some contributing factor such as – having sexual intercourse with a female who has a vaginal yeast infection can result.
Balanitis is more common in uncircumcised men. Penis problems in males can be a sign of an underlying health condition. Health issues that affect penis also impact other areas of life causing relationship problems which lead to stress and also harm self-confidence. In men, who are not circumcised, that area is covered by a flap of skin known as prepuce or foreskin. Balanitis can occur in both circumcised and uncircumcised men but it occurs more commonly in men who are not circumcised. Young boys are affected only if they have a very tight foreskin which is difficult to pull back. If man and his partner both have symptoms of a yeast infection or bacterial infection, it is important to be treated. According to modern medicine, most male yeast infections are easily treated with over-the-counter anti-fungal medications like-Clotrimazole (Mycelex, Lotrimin), various anti-biotic creams but it can be treated naturally with many herbal remedies as herbal remedies work on the root cause of the disease.
A variety of infections and skin conditions can cause balanitis. These include
- Sexually transmitted diseases such as – herpes simplex.
- Benign (non- cancerous) skin.
- Irritation of the skin by soap, spermicidal jelly or detergents.
- Infections with yeast (Candida) that live on the skin (most common cause).
Signs and symptoms of Balanitis are
- Redness/Itching or burning sensation on the penis.
- Areas of shiny and white skin on the penis.
- Moist skin on the penis with areas of thick and white substance collecting in skin folds.
Men more likely to develop Balanitis from a yeast infection if they
- Use of antibiotics for prolonged time
- Have diabetes especially if the blood sugar is poorly controlled as high blood sugar causes elevated amounts of sugar in the urine and sugar- rich urine that dribbles on the glans provides a friendly environment for yeast and bacteria and people with poor control on diabetes have a harder time fighting infections.
- Have an impaired immune system
- Are over-weight
- Aren’t circumcised
- Practice poor hygiene
Diagnosis of Balanitis
Doctor can recognise balanitis immediately. A swab or scraping of skin is examined under a microscope. When balanitis doesn’t respond to treatment or appears different from a typical infection, then doctor may recommend a patient to see a dermatologist or skin biopsy is done.
Prevention – Men who are uncircumcised must practice a good hygiene and people with diabetes can prevent balanitis by controlling their blood sugar.
Causes of Balanitis according to Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda, balanitis results due to imbalance of Pitta and Kapha doshas. There are various herbs in Ayurveda that treat infections in a very effective way.
Herbal Remedies by Planet Ayurveda for Balanitis
This product of Planet Ayurveda is wonderful for the treatment of balanitis as it helps to resolve the symptoms like – inflammation, irritation and soreness of glans and hardening of foreskin associated with balanitis. Navkarshik Churan comprises of various wonderful herbs that are quite beneficial for the treatment of balanitis. These herbs are
- Amla (Emblica officinalis)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Bahera (Terminalia bellerica)
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Neem (Azadirachta indica)
- Manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia)
- Katuki (Picorrhiza kurrao)
- Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Daruhaldi (Berberis aristata)
Dosage: 1 teaspoonful twice a day after meals with plain water.
Gandhak Rasayan is an Ayurvedic medicine. It is used in the treatment of skin disorders, itching, chronic fever, urinary tract disorders etc. It balances all the three doshas – Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Self- medication with this medicine is strictly not done. Gandhak Rasayan of Planet Ayurveda is manufactured as per classical reference. Gandhak Rasayan is a very good way of taking sulphur. Anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties of this product are quite beneficial for the treatment of balanitis.
Dosage: 2 tablets twice a day.
This Ayurvedic product is a blend of wonderful herbs which is very useful in the treatment of balanitis. It is used in the treatment of urinary tract disorders, diabetes etc. and most commonly used in Ayurvedic practice across India. It balances all the three doshas – Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Chanderprabha Vati contains
- Chandraprabha (Camphor) – Cinnamomum camphora
- Vacha – Acorus calamus
- Musta (Nut grass) – Cyperus rotundus
- Bhunimba The Creat (whole plant)- Andrographis paniculate
- Amruta – Tinospora cordifolia
- Daruka (bark of Himalayan cedar) – Cedrus deodara
- Haridra – Curcuma longa
- Ativisha – Aconitum heterophyllum
- Darvi (Tree turmeric stem) – Berberis aristata
- Pipallimoola – Piper longum
- Chitraka – Plumbago zeylanica
- Dhanyaka – Coriandrum sativum
- Haritaki – Terminalia chebula
- Vibhataki – Terminalia bellirica
- Amalaki – Emblica officinalis
- Chavya – Piper chaba
- Vidanga – Embelia ribes
- Gajapippali – Piper chaba
- Shunthi – Zingiber officinalis
- Maricha – Piper longum
- Makshika Dhatu Bhasam – Purified copper iron sulphate
- Yava kshara-Kshara of barley (Hordeum vulgare)
- Saindhava Lavana – Rock salt
12 gm fine powder of each of – Trivit, Danti, Patra, Twak, Ela, Vanshlochana, Loh Bhasama) and 48 gm fine powder of each consists of – Sugar, Asphaltum and guggulu. (Refernce: Sharangdhara Samhita 7/40-49, Bhaishjaratnavali)
Dosage: 2 tablets twice daily.
Planet Ayurveda offers an ayurvedic product – Varunadi Vati which is good to resolve the penis disorders in men. Herbs that are used in the formulation of varunadi vati are quite effective in providing relief in the inflammation associated with balanitis.
Dosage: 2 tablets twice a day after meals.
Curcumin capsules of Planet Ayurveda are prepared from the pure extracts of herb Haridra (Curcuma longa). These capsules help to provide relief in the balanitis symptoms like – irritation, inflammation and soreness of glans.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily after meals.
Nirgundi oil product of Planet Ayurveda is quite beneficial for the local application for balanitis associated with pain and inflammation.