Ulcerative Colitis is the inflammation and ulceration in the colon and rectum. This problems begins in the rectum and spreads to the entire colon. We can say it is the combination of ulceration and inflammation which leads to discomfort and results to frequent emptying of the colon. Ulcerative Colitis is caused because of the unusual and abnormal response of our immune system. People of any age group can be diagnosed with it.
What are the causes which lead to inflammation of the colon that results to Ulcerative Colitis?
- Autoimmune factors
- Food allergies
- Collagen disorders
- Genetic factors
When one is suffering from Ulcerative Colitis what are the sign and symptoms seen?
- Irregular bowel movements
- Undigested food particles in stool
- Diarrhea with blood
- Abdominal cramps
- Unexplained fatigue
- Unpleasant body odor
- Weight loss
- Distended abdomen
- Poor appetite
- On and off rectal pain
- Burning sensation-chest and throat
- Low-grade fever
- Rectal bleeding
- Skin lesions
- Sounds from the abdomen
The symptoms and causes of ulcerative colitis lead to complications which really needs attention and to be managed.
- Severe bleeding
- A hole in the colon (perforated colon)
- Severe dehydration
- Liver disease (rare)
- Bone loss (osteoporosis)
- Inflammation of your skin, joints, and eyes
- An increased risk of colon cancer
- A rapidly swelling colon (toxic megacolon)
- Increased risk of blood clots in veins
According to Ayurveda
- According to Ayurveda ulcerative colitis is Pittaj Grahani. Ayurveda says it is a complication due to vitiated Pitta Dosha, with the involvement of Vata. With consumption of foods that are Pitta-aggravating and the lifestyle followed damages rakta dhatu (blood tissue) and mamsa dhatu (muscle tissue), which results to the formation of ama that gets deposited in the intestines.
- Due to it, the Vata Dosha is also aggravated and it blocks the Pitta and Kapha channels, resulting in inflammation, mucus accumulation, and edema. Ulcerative Colitis when treated by Ayurveda, involves removing the ama and restoring the healthy digestion.
- Our nature is full of herbs and there are many herbs which help in managing and controlling the causes and symptoms of ulcerative colitis. But today we will discuss Arjun ( Terminal arjuna) the herb which has the potency to balance all the three doshas- Vata, Kapha, and Pitta. Arjun is loaded with properties which makes it useful and beneficial in Ulcerative colitis.
The Ayurvedic medicinal property of Arjuna which tells its qualities are-
- Rasa (Taste) – Kashaya (Astringent)
- Guna (Qualities) – Rooksha (Dryness), Laghu (Lightness)
- Vipaka – Katu- Undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion
- Veerya – Sheeta – cold potency
The properties and the qualities of Arjun which makes it helpful in Ulcerative Colitis are-
- Anti-inflammatory— The use of Arjuna help in reducing the inflammation in the colon which is the cause of ulcerative colitis.
- Antioxidant– Helps in repairing the damages made to the body by the ulcers and inflammation.
- Wound healing- Arjuna helps in healing the ulcers which are formed in the colon
- Antacid- helps in controlling acidity and gastritis.
- Antiulcerogenic– As per the property it gives a soothing effect to the ulcerative patients and helps in healing the ulcers as well.
- Mucolytic– This property of Arjuna helps in controlling and treating the formation and excretion of mucus through stool.
- Astringent– This property of Arjuna helps in controlling and managing the blood loss in the ulcerative Antitoxin– Arjun helps in removing the accumulation of toxins in the form of Ama.
- Antihemorrhagic– Helps to control the excessive bleeding in the ulcerative patients.
Health Benefits of Arjuna
- As Arjun is cooling, strengthening, soothing, and nutritive by nature which makes it helpful and useful in pacifying the aggravated Pitta Dosha. It also helps in gastritis and severe burning. The use of Arjuna increases the metabolism, production of enzymes which are required and are helpful in digestion, restores and refreshes the functioning of the liver.
- Arjuna tree has calcium, copper, magnesium, and zinc which are inbuilt in it which gives it the properties of healing wounds Hence it stop the bleeding, heal the ulcers in the digestive tract, control diarrhea, improve hemoglobin levels in the blood, remove toxins from the body, reduce inflammation, and make the body strong.
Along with ulcerative colitis it is also useful in many other health issues and they are-
- Coronary artery disease.
- Heart failure.
- Edema due to heart disease.
- Due to the formation of Ama the digestive fire is affected which disturbs the digestive system causing heartburn. Intake of Arjuna will remove the Ama and ease the heartburn problem.
- Due to poor digestion the food is undigested which leads to the formation of gas Arjuna helps in it.
- The use of Arjuna in it will control the bleeding, heal ulcers and remove the toxins.
Wounds & Skin Ulcers
- Terminalia arjuna is used for treating wounds and skin ulcers. The use of the herb kills microbes, especially several strains of bacteria, and promotes wound healing.
- Terminalia arjuna is very helpful in treating dysentery when given in combination. This herb reduces bleeding in stools, the frequency of defecation, and eradicates the infection.
- Terminalia arjuna herb has anti-atherogenic and hypolipidemic properties which makes it useful in reducing low-grade inflammation of the blood vessels and the antihyperlipidemic action of the herb lowers down the serum concentration of total cholesterol. It also reduces the atherogenic index.
Hemorrhages & Bleeding Disorders
- Presence of astringents substances in Arjuna Bark has anti-hemorrhagic property, which helps to reduce the bleeding. Arjuna herb is commonly used in Ayurveda for treating bleeding disorders with a combination of other herbs.