Chikungunya was first detected in 1952 in Africa. Chikungunya word comes from the Makonde language meaning that which bends up. This is a reference to Chikungunya symptom where patient walks in a stopped posture due to joint pain. It is also known by the name Chicken guinea, Chicken gunaya. Presence of word chicken has lead a lot of misconceptions about the disease.It is a viral disease transmitted in humans by the bite of infected mosquitoes. Aedes aegypti mosquito (yellow fever mosquito) is the primary transmission agent of chikungunya. This mosquito is usually found in tropics and hence chikungunya is predominantly seen in Asian countries. It generally bites during the day time.
Incubation period of Chikungunya disease is 2-6 days but the symptoms usually appear 4-7 days post infection. It has 2 phases- Acute phase and Chronic phase.
- Characteristics of acute phase includes an abrupt onset of chills, fever reaching upto 40 degree celcius(104 degree F) . Severe joint pain and muscular pain is the main and most problematic symptom experienced by the patients suffering from chikungunya.
- Chronic phase is characterised by poly-arthralgia that can last from weeks to years beyond the acute stage. 95% of the infected adults are symptomatic after infection which can also lead to disability.
- In ayurveda, it is known as sandhi jwara that literally means ‘fever of the joints’.Chikungunya fever is considered as vata dosha disorder. In chikungunya, Ayurveda believes in enhancing the immunity of an individual. Thus, Immuno-modulator medications are prescribed that help to modulate the immune response of body against antigens which inadvertently affects the joints. Ayurvedic treatment helps to reverse the inflammatory process as well as prevents the tissue damage. Medicines to improve immunity, medicines to reduce fever and treatment to bring down muscle pain, nausea, fatigue, rash, headache are given in Ayurveda alongwith rejuvenation medicines.
- Allopathic treatment options are only symptomatic for mitigating the pain and fever along with anti-inflammatory drugs, in such cases convalescence cause prolonged joint pain which may require analgesics along with long term anti-inflammatory therapy.
- Chikungunya fever is diagnosed on the basis of serological tests like ELISA (Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assays) for detection of antibodies like IgG and IgM and RT- PCR (Reverse Transcriptase polymerase chain reaction). These tests are used to detect the presence of virus in blood.
- A study by researchers at Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri has found that symptoms and blood test results of patients with chikungunya is similar to that of rheumatoid arthritis patients.
Symptoms of chikungunya:
- Severe joint pain
- Muscular pain
How Chikungunya spreads
- Several varieties of viral infections are spread through droplets discharged into the atmosphere by the sneezing of the infected patients.
- It is important to note that sometimes, post chikungunya affects multiple joints leaving a person debilitated for a long time so proper treatment is necessary.
Some key points about Chikungunya-
- It is a viral disease.
- Mosquito control is the only effective prevention technique.
- Usually non- fatal
- Currently, there are no vaccines available.
- Transmission is only through mosquito bite not through human to human.
Prevention of Chikungunya fever
- Vaccine is yet to be developed. It is in experimental stage. Currently the only way to prevent disease is to avoid mosquito bites. It spreads from human to human only through a mosquito carrier.
- Hence mosquito control is the best way to fight chikungunya.
- Stangnant water must not be allowed in and around residential areas as it is the breeding site for the mosquito.
- Since there is no cure for chikungunya in modern medicine. Ayurvedic treatment provides relief to a large extent without causing any side effect.
- There is no cure of chikungunya in modern medicine. They provide only symptomatic relief. Some of the Herbal Remedies for Chikungunya Fever by Planet Ayurveda are-
- Giloy capsules are wonderful and effective herbal formulation by Planet Ayurveda which is prepared from the pure extract of herb Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia).
- Giloy is considered as anti-pyretic, immuno-modulator and anti-inflammatory thus provides relief in all kinds of fevers.
Dose: 1 capsule twice a day with plain water after meals.
Joint Aid Plus:
- Joint Aid Plus capsules of Planet Ayurveda has both anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties which is effective against both chronic and acute inflammations caused by chikungunya fever.
Ingredients of Joint Aid Plus Capsules-
- Nirgundi (Vitex negundo) – It is pure natural herb which is useful in treatment of various diseases like joint pain, muscular pain etc.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) – It is useful in relieving symptoms of various diseases like stress, rheumatism, inflammation etc. and gives strength.
- Shallaki (Boswellia serrate) – It has anti-inflammatory property. It has positive results for joint pains. It is good choice for osteoarthritis, joint pain, gout and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Guggul (Commiphora mukul) – It has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. It has pain relieving property.
- Sonth (Zingiber officinale) – It is also known as dry ginger. It has anti-inflammatory property. It is used in joint pain
Dose: 2 capsules twice a day after meals.
- Curcumin capsules of Planet Ayurveda contains Curcuma longa. It is considered as best anti-inflammatory agent due to the presence of curcumin in it.
Dose: 2 capsules twice daily after meals.
Immune Magic Capsules:
- Immune Magic capsules of Planet Ayurveda are prepared using a wonderful combination of the various useful herbs that are mentioned in an Ayurvedic texts and are frequently used for various other health benefits too. The herbs used in the preparation of this product include:
- Grape seeds (Vitis vinifera)
- Cow colostrum (Bovine colostrums)
- Bhumi amla (Phyllanthus niruri)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- All these herbs are used in their natural forms. This product is a great way to supplement the healthy diet in order to stay healthy.
Dose: 1 or 2 capsules twice a day after meals.
- Regular use of Tulsi capsules of Planet Ayurveda helps body to fight infections in a very effective way. It is a natural immuno – modulator.
Dose: 1-2 capsules twice a day after meals.
All the products of Planet Ayurveda for Chikungunya are completely safe and natural without any side effects.