Hemorrhoids, with other name, piles can have severe outcome on our daily life, manifested by clumps of swollen veins around the area of anal opening or the anal canal, which is characterized by severe pain at time of passing stools, bleeding occurs during bowel movements, itching and pain in anal area for a long time brings about distress, so these symptoms bring about uncomfortable feeling each time one visits the toilet, and feels embarrassed in sharing the problem and asking for help.
Hemorrhoids can either be internal or external. Internal hemorrhoids develop within the anus or rectum. External hemorrhoids develop outside of the anus
Causes for Hemorrhoids-Possible factors include:
- Straining during a bowel movement
- Problem arises from chronic constipation
- Sitting or standing for a long time and specially sitting on the toilet
- A family history of hemorrhoids, where it can be passed on genetically from parent to child.
- Risk also develops during pregnancy, where enlarged uterus presses on the vein in the colon, causing it to bulge.
- Hemorrhoids called Arsha in Ayurveda, as per Ayurveda is caused due to vitiated Vata resulting in low digestive fire which leads to continuous constipation. Also accumulation of waste products in the body and varicose veins in the rectum promote the development of hemorrhoids.
Symptoms for Hemorrhoids
- Discomfort around anus
- Pain and bleeding may occur during defecation
- Pea-sized swellings
- It can be managed naturally using some home remedies. Here are some homemade remedies which are easy to apply in our daily routine to get relief from the discomfort caused by hemorrhoids.
Use Aloe Vera gel
- Aloe Vera is natural way to heal different kinds of infections involving hemorrhoids. Aloe plant can used directly, by cutting its leaf and open to extract the gel, which can be applied twice a day at the anal area. Other way to get relief is drinking daily plenty of Aloe Vera juice to heal internal piles. These help in making the stools so much softer, causes ease in passing them.
- A Warm bath is very effective to get relief from pain associated with hemorrhoids. People with painful hemorrhoids should lay on their back in warm water for 15 minutes, several times a day — mainly after a bowel movement. It helps to relieve pain, itching and burning sensation. This remedy is even useful in cleaning the anus and lessen the bacteria. After this therapy, do dry that area with a hair dryer because moisture might further irritate the sensitized skin.
High Fiber Diet
- There is need to bring a change in diet, consume high fiber foods and also drink adequate amount of water.
- High Fiber Diet helps to soften the stool, thereby eases in passing out, hence lessens the pressure on the hemorrhoids. Besides they support to regulate bowel movements which is helps to manage hemorrhoids.
High Fiber Diet includes:
- Whole grains: – Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Barley, Millets, Maize etc.
- Fruits: – Banana, Apples, Pears, Avocados, Artichokes, Peas and Winter Squash, Prunes etc.
- Vegetables: – Broccoli, Dark Leafy Greens, Beans etc.
- Avoid consuming foods rich in saturated fats, refined flours, sugar and red meat as these can exaggerate the hemorrhoids.
- Psyllium Seed Husks –Rich in fiber, which can make the stools much softer, making the stools to pass out easily through anus and it will help to relieve pain and bleeding that happen due to hard stools and thus providing time to hemorrhoid to get heal.
- Ground flaxseeds are also high in fiber content, and good for hemorrhoid.
- Turmeric has antiseptic and ant-inflammatory properties, helps in healing of hemorrhoids. So, have a teaspoon of ground, fresh turmeric root, to get relief from it.
- Take 2 washed potatoes and cut them into small slices and then blend these chunks in a blender, till they get into liquid form. One can add little water, in case it is dry. Spread this mixture over clean handkerchief or a thin gauze bandage and folding it up in half. After this preparation apply it on the hemorrhoids for around 5-10 minutes, this relieves the symptoms of pain
Oils for Hemorroids
- Coconut Oil – Direct application of coconut oil, mainly virgin coconut oil to hemorrhoids, after bowel movement, properly cleaning the infected area, then rinse it and repeat this therapy twice daily. It is very helpful to feel better because of its antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and anti-septic in nature.
- In a small bowl take some pure almond oil and then dip a cotton ball into this oil and apply it on the infected area. Repeat this similar procedure for a several times to get relief from hemorrhoids naturally.
- Reduce the intake of salt and avoid spicy foods, red meat, fatty and over-processed foods. Stop the consumption of alcohol and tea in excess.