Top 10 Super foods to Combat Diabetes in Ayurveda
Diabetes is a long-term health condition which results from a high amount of glucose (sugar) in the body. This high sugar level is the outcome of the body’s inability to use glucose properly. Excessively high levels of blood sugar can lead to serious health complications, especially if diabetes in not treated and managed in time. Fortunately, there are some super foods for diabetes which can effectively control blood sugar level naturally.
Diabetes is of two main types:
Type 1 Diabetes:
- This condition is caused by the body’s inability to produce insulin.
Type 2 Diabetes:
- In this condition, the body does not produce adequate amount of insulin for proper functioning; thereby making the cells in the body ‘insulin resistant.’
- One of the best super foods to control blood sugar level naturally is different kinds of berries, like blackberries, strawberries, cranberries, and raspberries. Berries are abundant in vitamin C, fiber, antioxidants, and vitamins. They can be used for making low-sugar desserts; and can also be added to salads or cereals. Furthermore, dried versions of berries can also be consumed as a healthy snack.
- Fish is another super food which can do a lot of good to people suffering from diabetes. Fish is an excellent substitute for higher-fat meats; and it is a wonderful source of protein. It is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids. People affected by diabetes should ideally consume fish — particularly cold-water fatty fishes such as salmon, tuna, sardines, mackerel, halibut, and herring — at least two times a week.
- Non-starchy and cruciferous vegetables are also one of the top super foods for diabetes. These vegetables — like broccoli, beets, kale and cauliflower, etc. — can help in controlling blood sugar levels. They have low amounts of carbohydrates and calories, and can increase the intake of minerals, fiber, vitamins and phytochemicals in diabetic patients.
Whole grains and lentils
- Whole grains, like barley, can be extremely effective in lowering blood cholesterol, stabilizing blood sugar levels, metabolizing fats, and maintaining the overall health of the digestive track. Along with whole grains, lentils can also be very useful in controlling diabetes because they have abundance of proteins, complex carbohydrates, iron and B vitamins.
- Tomatoes can significantly reduce cardiovascular risk which is linked to Type 2 diabetes. The goodness of tomatoes chiefly lies in its abundance of a beneficial substance called ‘lycopene’ which can effectively lower the risk of heart disease and cancer. A daily consumption of 200 gm raw tomatoes is believed to have a considerable effect in lowering blood pressure.
Walnuts and other nuts
- It is advisable for diabetic patients to consume walnuts, cashews, flaxseeds and other nuts and seeds because they contain healthy fats and can bring down blood sugar levels. Walnuts, in particular, contain an essential fatty, cholesterol-lowering acid — alpha-linolenic acid — which can improve heart health and reduce inflammation. In addition, walnuts are also rich in folic acid, zinc, vitamin E and protein.
- Beans are one of the most nutritious foods which have the ability to control blood sugar level naturally. The consumption of beans can be especially beneficial for people suffering from Type 2 diabetes because they can keep the average blood sugar levels in check. Moreover, beans are also a storehouse of protein and fiber, as well as magnesium, potassium and other essential minerals.
- Sweet potatoes are also one of the important super foods for diabetes as they can effectively control blood sugar. The regular intake of sweet potatoes can lead to lower glycemic index because they contain potassium, fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, and the antioxidant beta-carotene.
- Turmeric — the amazing yellow spice — also has the ability to control blood sugar level naturally. The most useful ingredient in turmeric is a compound called ‘Curcumin’ which can regulate the body’s fat metabolism. Curcumin can reduce the symptoms linked to obesity, and is also capable of reversing insulin resistance, high blood sugar and high cholesterol.
- The daily consumption of at least one gram of cinnamon spice can also effectively lower blood sugar levels. The mentioned dosage can notably reduce fasting blood sugar by nearly 30 percent, and can also have a significant impact on reducing triglycerides, LDL cholesterol, and total cholesterol. Cinnamon contains components that are helpful in promoting glucose metabolism and enhancing the effects of insulin.
In conclusion, the above-mentioned super foods for diabetes have an abundance of important components which have proven health benefits. These super foods can be extremely useful in lowering blood sugar levels, and can also burn fat and reduce inflammation.