6 Ways to Manage Ulcerative Colitis Naturally
Good digestion is largely a matter of Happiness for everyone.These lines are enough to explain the importance of good digestive health. It is well said that bad digestion is root of all diseases. With impaired digestive health you can’t even enjoy your meal and lose your interest in food items. So be careful while choosing your food to eat, because the main cause of bad digestive health is the wrong selection of food items.
Ulcerative colitis is also a health issue of digestive tract. In Ayurveda, Ulcerative colitis is known as Raktaj Atisaar. It is due to the imbalance of pitta dosha with further involvement of imbalanced vata dosha in some cases. Ulcerative colitis is a disease which causes the ulcers and inflammation of digestive tract. Abdominal pain and cramps, bloody stools, diarrhea with pus or blood, weight loss, fatigue, fever, rectal bleeding and burning sensation in chest/ throat. Though the problem of ulcerative colitis can be managed with the help of diet and home remedies in a natural ways.
6 Ways to Manage Ulcerative Colitis Naturally
1. Home Remedies for Ulcerative colitis
There are various herbs identified in Ayurveda which are quite beneficial to manage the ulcerative colitis naturally. These herbs help to pacify the aggravated pitta dosha which is the main cause of ulcerative colitis in Ayurveda.
- Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare) – This herbs is known to be very effective for the treatment of ulcerative colitis. It helps to provide relief in the symptoms like abdominal pain/cramps, diarrhea, rectal bleeding and burning sensation in chest which are associated with ulcerative colitis.
- Dhania (Coriander sativum) – Coriander seeds are commonly used in Indian kitchen as a spice. This herb has the astringent, digestive, appetizer, and anti dyspeptic properties. So use of this herb in ulcerative colitis is quite useful to manage this problem without causing any side effects on health.
- Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) – Arjuna is called as Nadisarija in Sanskrit. This herb is very popular herb due to its healing properties. This herb is very useful to manage the problem of ulcerative colitis in a natural way. It provides relief in rectal bleeding, ulcers, bloody stools and abdominal pain.
- Kutaja (Holarrhena antidysenterica) – This herb is useful to treat the chronic diarrhea which is associated with ulcerative colitis. This herb helps to digest the ama (toxins) thus provides the relief in the rectal bleeding, inflammation of colon and abdominal cramps.
- Haridra (Curcuma longa) – Hardira is commonly known as the turmeric. This herb is also packed with therapeutic properties and very beneficial to manage the ulcerative colitis.
- Choti Elaichi (Eletteria cardomum) – Choti elaichi is one of important spice found in Indian kitchens. This herb supports the good health of digestive system and also very effective to manage the ulcerative colitis naturally.
2. Diet for Ulcerative Colitis
- Pomegranate juice – Pomegranate juice is good to deal with the blood loss in the case of ulcerative colitis. One can consume around 100 -150 ml of pomegranate juice. One can also take the decoction of pomegranate peel once or twice in a day. It helps to arrest loose motions.
- Green grass remedy – Green grass is packed with healing properties and quite beneficial to manage ulcerative colitis. 60-80 ml of plain grass juice can be consumed on a daily basis.
- Petals of Marigold flower – Juice of the petals of marigold flower is also good to relieve the symptoms of ulcerative colitis. Petals of the flower are crushed and then juice is extracted. One can consume around 20 ml of juice every day.
- Rose petals – Chewing the some fresh rose petals are known to be very effective in reducing acidity, heart burn and burning sensation in chest. Thus it is good to manage the ulcerative colitis.
- Banana with curd – Consuming mashed banana in a bowl of fresh curd everyday is good to reduce the symptoms of ulcerative colitis.
3. Diet Guidelines
Here is the list of food products which are good to manage ulcerative colitis.
- Consume the vegetables like pumpkin, bottle gourd, ridge gourd and round gourd.
- Consume the fruits like apple, pear, banana and pomegranate (without seeds).
- Drink plenty of fluids and water daily.
- Coconut water is also good for ulcerative colitis.
4. Exercise and Yoga
Regular exercise and yoga are very useful to manage the ulcerative colitis naturally. These things are good to prevent the complications associated with ulcerative colitis like weakened immune system, decreased bone density, stress and weight. Yoga is considered as the good natural remedy for ulcerative colitis because it nurtures the body with oxygen thus helps in the healing of body.
It is well said that the precaution is better than cure. So one must avoid these food products in the problem of ulcerative colitis.
- Avoid non vegetarian foods
- Avoid Spicy and junk food
- Avoid dairy products like milk
- Avoid carbonated drinks
- Avoid tea and coffee
- Avoid ice cream, biscuits, white bread, and nuts.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Follow daily routine.
- Take 5-6 small meals than eating in bulk every day.
- Develop a positive attitude and keep yourself away from negativity.
- Do meditation and deep breathing, to ease stress and relax your body,
Herbal Remedies for Ulcerative Colitis
Planet Ayurveda presents a unique Ulcerative Colitis Care Pack for the treatment of various types of ulcerative colitis. It contains special herbal remedies like Vatsakadi churna, Pitta balance, Arjuna and Kutjaghana vati that are capable of fighting against symptoms of this condition like diarrhea, pain and discomfort etc.
- Arjuna Capsules – 2 cap twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Vatsakadi churna – 1 tsp. twice daily with plain water after meal or you can boil the powder – 1 teaspoonful in 400 ml water, keep it boiling until it remains 50 ml. Strain it and drink the water. Leave the residue. Do it twice daily. Make fresh every time.
- Pitta balance – 1 cap twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Kutajaghana vati – 2 tab twice daily with plain water after meal.