AYURVEDIC ASPECT OF RENAL CALCULI
Have you ever felt severe pain in the belly region or one side of your back, that may act as a surprise visitor who comes all of a sudden and then goes without any word? This might have left you wondering what the reason could be and since it’s the belly region we often forget about one organ that is the kidney. The kidney is present in the posterior aspect of the abdominal region. Pain in that region can be correlated to the kidney and such a problem that causes severe pain is Renal calculi.
WHAT ARE RENAL STONES
Renal stones are hard deposits of minerals and salts that form inside the kidney. It is also called kidney stones, renal calculi, nephrolithiasis, or urolithiasis. Kidney stones can affect any part of the urinary tract that is from the kidneys to the bladder. Usually, stones form when the urine becomes concentrated, and as a result, minerals get crystallized and stick together. If the presence of a kidney stone is recognized in the early stages, it won’t cause much permanent damage, and passing it out of the body can be quite painful but won’t require sophisticated processes to remove it.
According to Ayurveda, this condition is termed Ashmari. When vayu covers the opening of the bladder and dries up the urine inside it, then this urine gets mixed with pitta and Kapha or semen and gives rise to the formation of Ashmari. It can be vataja, pittaja, kaphaja, Shukrashmri, and Sharkara Ashmari.
CAUSES OF RENAL STONES
Kidney stones can occur in anyone but still, there are chances of some people getting this condition more likely. Usually, men tend to get this more as compared to women. Calcium stones are commonly seen in men whereas struvite stones are mostly seen in women.
Some causes of renal stones are, not keeping the body hydrated; following a diet with high protein, sodium, or sugar; if the person is obese or o verweight; if the person suffers from a condition called gout; having supplements rich in calcium; people who pass concentrated urine; people who have had renal stones before are likely to have it again; can be genetic.
SYMPTOMS OF RENAL CALCULI
Usually, symptoms are not seen until and unless it moves down the ureters and as result, it will obstruct the passage of urine and thus cause pain. The main symptom is severe pain in the belly area and side of the back, testicles in the male, groin region, and vaginal region in females.
As per Ayurveda in vataja ashmari, the pain is severe, the person shivers, due to pain, rubs the umbilical region, and cries constantly. In pittaja condition, burning sensation in the bladder as it will be ulcerated. In kaphaja ashmari, there will be pricking pain and a feeling of heaviness. In Shukrashmari, patients have difficulty in ejaculation and urination, swelling in the scrotum, and pain in the bladder.
HOW TO PREVENT RENAL STONE FORMATION
We often see a scar after the wound is healed so why not prevent the wound itself so that the scar is not left. Let’s know some basic preventive steps that can be inculcated in our daily lives to prevent renal stones. Drinking plenty of water and keeping the body hydrated is a good means to prevent it as it prevents the formation of concentrated urine and the formation of mineral crystals; limiting food rich in sodium and proteins; having food that has more fiber content; avoiding fatty food; doing exercise and having a fit body as obesity is a cause of renal stones.
LET’S KNOW ABOUT SOME AYURVEDIC TIPS TO PREVENT IT
Ayurvedic treatment may include panchakarma treatment, administration of herbs, and practicing some regimens. Panchakarma therapy is an elegant cleansing process that releases stored doshas and helps to restore the body’s inborn healing properties. It helps to clean the bladder and prevent the formation of renal stones which are caused due to doshic imbalances. Through this, if renal stones are formed then they can be expelled without surgery. Doing panchakarma therapy every year prevents the formation of kidney stones. Other treatments for this are plant-based medicines, lifestyle changes, and diet.
Drugs that are useful in the treatment of renal stones are Mutravirechaniya (diuretic) Ashmarighna Dravya (lithotriptic), and Kshara Karma (alkali therapy).
Herbs that can prevent the formation of renal stones are Punarnava (Boerhaavia Diffusa),Varuna (Crataeva nurvala),Shigru (Moringa Oleifera),Pashanabheda (Bergenia ligulata),Kushmanda seeds (Benincasa hispida Cong),Kantkari (Solanum xanthocarpum), etc.
- Punarnava is a medicinal herb used since ancient times for curing diseases related to kidneys and has diuretic and anti-inflammatory properties. It is used in kidney stones.
- Varuna has properties that help to break renal stones and reduce their size and also has a diuretic property that helps them to get expelled out of the body without pain.
- Shigru has an impressive range of medicinal uses, its extracts are used to cure many diseases and diseases related to the urinary tract and help in the treatment of kidney stones.
- Pashanabheda has been widely used in treatment related to kidneys and is diuretic in nature; it has the antilithic property that helps to remove stones present in the kidney and urinary tract and easy removal of it from the body.
- Kushmanda seeds are the seeds of the plant Benincasa hispida, in Ayurveda, it is also known as pushpaphala or pitapushpa. It pacifies raktapitta. This plant as a whole can be used in various therapeutic formulations. It has properties like, it acts as a tonic, is anthelmintic and most importantly, it is diuretic, this property makes it an important herb in treating kidney stones. This plant is widely used as it is useful for the heart, whole body and has Rasayana and brihana properties.
- Kantkari is one among the dashamoola and has many uses. Extract from this has many chemical compounds which help in improving renal function. It has properties that reduce the amount of calcium and uric acid in the urine that are the main factors for the formation of mineral crystals.
Contact my assistant to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or call at +91-172-5214030 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
These medicinal herbs are easily available and making them a part of your life or having them in the initial stages can help you from future severe damage. So let’s take a step towards these simple Ayurvedic treatments to have a healthy life.