May 5, 2022
Ayurvedic Management of Hypokalemic periodic paralysis (HypoKPP)
All of you might be aware of Paralysis , which has become very common nowadays. It is the loss of muscular functions in any part of your body which may occur due to stroke ,spinal injury, etc. But have you ever heard about incidence of a recurrent paralysis caused by imbalance of mineral content of your body? Lets know more about one such condition.
HYPOKALEMIC PERIODIC PARALYSIS
Hypokalemic periodic paralysis (HypoKPP) is a disorder which causes episodes of severe muscle weakness usually commencing in early childhood. It is a rare autosomal dominant channelopathy attributed to weakness of muscle or paralysis when there is a decrease in potassium levels in the blood (less than 3.5.mmol/l). It affects about 1 in 100,000 people and is more common in men. It is commonly a genetic disorder in which at least one parent is affected. There is a 50-percentage chance for an affected individual to have an affected offspring. Acquired cases of HypoKPP are also recognized which are related to hyperthyroidism.
Channelopathies are ailments caused by the dysfunction of ion channels.Ion channels are proteins that allow ions to pass through and involve functions such as maintaining a resting membrane potential, shaping action potentials and other electrical signals, thus acting on movements of the body.
Causes of HypoKPP are understood as following
- Mutations in the CACNA1S or SCN4A gene :It reforms the usual anatomy and physiology of calcium or sodium channels, making the ions flow slowly but constantly into muscle cells, which reduces the muscle contraction. This results in episodes of severe muscle weakness or paralysis.
- Acquired HypoKPP has been linked with thyrotoxicosis.
- Periodic muscle weakness can also result from hypokalemia secondary to renal or gastrointestinal potassium loss in diseases like renal tubular acidosis, gastroenteritis, or other endocrine causes.
Symptoms of Familial HypoKPP have generally been exhibited since childhood. The frequency of attacks seems to decline with age. In the case of thyrotoxic HypoKPP, the onset is commonly after age 20.
- Premonitory signs like exhaustion, paresthesia, behavioral differences.
- Attacks of generalized muscle weakness, with proximal muscle involvement more significant than distal muscles. It causes severe weakness or paralysis that usually lasts from hours to days. Few people may have episodes almost every day, while others encounter them weekly, monthly, or just rarely
- Muscle cramps, discomfort
- In serious cases it may direct to cardiac arrhythmia or respiratory muscle paralysis which can be deadly
- Attacks can be provoked by factors such as rest after a workout, a viral infection, or certain medications. Occasionally, a heavy, carbohydrate-rich meal or vigorous exercise in the evening can trigger an attack upon waking the next morning. Even though affected individuals usually retrieve their muscle strength between attacks, some emerge with persistent muscle weakness throughout their life.
INVESTIGATIONS AND DIAGNOSIS
- Positive family history
- Sudden onset of flaccid muscle weakness especially proximal muscles with decreased deep tendon reflexes and drop in serum potassium level
- Genetic testing to identify gene mutation
- Electromyography :During attacks of weakness, EMG shows decreased amplitude of compound muscle action potential (CAMP)
- Exercise test:a strenuous exercise of a single muscle for 2-5 minutes is done to initiate focal muscle weakness and the change in post exercise CAMP in muscle fibers is measured by the EMG
The major aim of treatment is to cure the symptoms of acute attacks, prevention and management of complications, and prevent future attacks. Judicious intake of oral potassium chloride to maintain serum potassium levels,lifestyle modifications and preventing triggering factors can be done.
Ayurveda is the ancient system of healing. It has a holistic approach to the wellness of individuals. It is based mainly on three doshas, the three humors which make up a human body. Ayurveda aims to bring equilibrium between these doshas and dhatus(body tissues). Hypokalemic periodic paralysis can be definitely treated with this holistic approach. This can be correlated with Pakshaghata Treatment. Vata dosha and mamsa dhatu(muscle tissues)are involved in this disease’s pathogenesis. Ayurvedic therapy aims at bringing their level to normalcy.
PLANET AYURVEDA-THE SYMBOL OF PURITY
Planet Ayurveda is a leading venture in the ayurvedic pharmaceutical industry, well known for its credibility and purity. Our products are natural and free from adverse effects. We blend the 5000-year-old ancient knowledge of Ayurveda with modern systematic and scientific approaches. Our aim is the well being of every individual by natural healing. We have a wide range of herbal remedies made from a myriad of drugs which give noteworthy benefits.
Here are some herbal remedies for Hypokalemic periodic paralysis from planet Ayurveda
1. ASHWAGANDHA GHAN VATI
Enriched with the goodness of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), this is a single herb tablet preparation. Ashwagandha is a magical herb with immunoprotective, neuroprotective, and rejuvenating effects. Endowed with active components like withanolides, withaferin, etc., it improves the strength of body muscles. Several studies have also revealed that ashwagandha is rich in potassium. These factors substantiate its use in HypoKPP.
Dose:2 tablets twice a day with warm water is advised.
2. MUSLI STRENGTH CAPSULES
This is a polyherbal formula available in the form of capsules. Made up of two magnificent drugs Safed musli(chlorophytum borivilianum) and gokshura(Tribulus terrestris). Musli helps in enhancing the general fitness of the body and rejuvenates body tissues. Gokshura is abundant in saponins like Protodioscin which helps in muscle strengthening.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily with lukewarm water is advocated
3. GANDHAK RASAYAN
It is a sulfur-based preparation available in the form of tablets.It is a versatile drug having results on a wide range of ailments. It influences numerous metabolic processes in the body. It provides you with drudadeha (strong body) and is indicated in dhatu kshaya roga-diseases due to depleted body tissues like muscles in the Ayurvedic classics.
Dosage: it is suggested to take 2 tablets twice or thrice daily with lukewarm water.
4. GREEN ESSENTIALS
This is a fabulous polyherbal preparation attainable in the form of capsules. It contains a myriad of drugs like amla(Emblica Officinalis), grape seed (Vitis Vinifera), green tea etc. Grapes help provide the essential calories and nutrients ideal for muscle development. It also has ample antioxidants which safeguard against free radical damage, induced by exercise.
Dosage: 2 Capsules twice daily, with water after meals are recommended
5. RASARAJESHWAR RAS
Ras Rajeshwar Ras is a herbomineral formulation available in tablet form. It is made with a myriad of herbs and minerals like Suvarna yukta Rasaraj Rasa (Purified and processed Mercury ), Abhrak Satva (Purified and processed Silica), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera ) etc. It has got excellent results in dealing with neuro-muscular conditions such as paralysis and helps to strengthen nerves and muscles.
Dosage:1 tablet twice daily chewed after food is recommended
6. AMRIT KALASH
It is one of the excellently recognized Rasayanas for daily health and longevity. Available in paste form,it is enriched with the excellence of 53 natural herbs and minerals like amla (Phyllanthus emblica), safed chandan (Santalum album), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula) etc and has ability to nourish the seven tissues ,provide Bala(vital strength), assisting the body to encounter illness.It also helps increasing your productivity and immunity.
Dosage: It acts most effectively on regular intake of 1teaspoon twice daily.
7. BRAHMA RASAYAN
It is a noteworthy polyherbal preparation in the form of a paste made with the goodness of Amla(Phyllanthus emblica), Shankhpushpi(Convolvulus prostratus), ghee etc . It aids in general weakness and also builds strength, stamina and treats Vata dosha. In addition to that, it has Rasayana (rejuvenating) properties and acts as a promising antioxidant which slows down the process of cell degeneration and makes you remain healthy.
Dosage: 1 teaspoon to be taken twice daily after food
Contact at Planet Ayurveda to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or call at +91-172-521-4040 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
Hypokalemic periodic paralysis requires proper care .This can be accomplished by avoiding causative factors and with systemic treatments. If untreated it may lead to permanent proximal weakness and even death.Don’t lose hope because Ayurveda indeed helps you in this.You can definitely choose Planet Ayurveda because your wellbeing is our happiness.