Ayurvedic Management Of Whiplash Injury With Herbal Remedies
Whiplash injury is neck injury caused due to movement of neck like the cracking of whip. In this whiplash the intervertebral joints, discs muscles, and nerve roots may get damaged. Commonly known as neck strains, neck sprains. It is mainly caused by accidents, from falls and sudden distortion of neck and injury caused due to vehicle accidents, including bungee jumping and falls. So care must be taken properly during fun activities as it can lead to whiplash injury, so further we will discuss its causes, signs, symptoms, and treatment according to ayurveda in detail.
Whiplash injury is commonly caused by accidents, falls, or doing some fun activities which causes this disease. This is rapid backward movement of the neck which further leads to neck injury. It leads to neck damage completely. It can be due to poor posture due to continuous use of computers which leads to serious health problems, which is further followed by numbness or loss of strength in arms and legs. Osteoarthritis is the main cause of neck pain. Whiplash injury has risen sharply due to collisions of vehicles.
CAUSES OF WHIPLASH INJURY
- Jerking movement of head due to car accidents
- Football tackles, sports collisions causes whiplash
- Injury to bones in spine, nerves, ligaments, intervertebral disc
- Impulsive retraction of spine which is tears as head moves forward and then move back causes injury
- Whiplash injury can include injury to cerebrum known as coup contrecoup injury when the head part is hyperextended
- Worn joints – As the age increases neck joints are torn out, as vertebrae deteriorate bone forms spur affect the joint and cause pain.
- Meningitis, Rheumatoid arthritis causes neck pain
SYMPTOMS OF WHIPLASH INJURY
- Muscle spasms
- Pain gets worse if a patient holds on to one place for a period of time.
- Referring to pain in the shoulder, there is disturbance in senses as it feels like pins and needles, to legs and arms.
- Loss of movement in neck
- Pain in neck, stiffness
- Tinnitus (ringing in ears)
- Sleep is disturbed
- Not able to concentrate
- Low back ache
- Numbness in arm and hand
DIAGNOSIS OF WHIPLASH INJURY
- CT SCAN
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging)
- The doctor may palpate the hand, movement, intensity, motion in neck and shoulders to see the cause which worsens the pain.
- Quebec task force –
- Grade 0 – no neck pain, or any physical signs are noticed.
- Grade 1- neck complaints of pain, tenderness, no physical signs
- Grade 2- decreased range of movement and some tenderness in neck
- Grade 3- weakness, decreased tendon reflexes
- Grade 4- dislocations and injury to spinal cord
PREVENTION OF WHIPLASH INJURY
- Use good posture – while sitting and standing shoulder should be in a straight line.
- Smoking should be stopped
- Avoid carrying heavy bag as weight can strain neck
- Sleep in good posture – head and neck should be the same as body aligns. Use a small pillow under your neck.
- Safety belts should be worn while driving and must sit in an upright position.
TREATMENT FOR WHIPLASH INJURY
The main goal should be to control the pain in whiplash injury, to restore the movement of the neck and maintain the normal range to perform normal activities. This will be achieved by medications, exercises, muscle relaxants.
- Exercise such as rotation of neck in both directions, bending of neck towards chest, rolling of shoulder.
- Exercise helps in stretching and in pain relief.
- Physical therapy improves the posture and TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) is mild current applied to skin which eases neck pain and improves strength to muscles.
- Foam collars (cervical collars eases the injuries as it limits the movement and reduces pain after injury, this tends people to sleep well at night.
- Medications like ibuprofen, tractions, massage, naproxen (aleve).
- According to the Quebec task force if a person suffers from grade1 and grade3 then medication included in treatment is non narcotic analgesics. Botulinum toxin A is used to treat involuntary muscle contractions and spasms.
AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT ON WHIPLASH INJURY
In ayurveda the main cause of injury (abhigata) is aggravation of vata dosha, when vata dosha gets aggravated it causes pain and many other symptoms. Abhigata leads to vata aggravation and causes excessive pain and leads to many other symptoms like loss of range of neck movement, headache, dizziness, pain and tenderness in upper back and shoulder region, vision gets blurry and many more. Many therapies panchkarma treatment is effective in whiplash injury which provides relief to patients.
- Snehan and Sweden – In snehan external and internal oleation is provided to patients. In external oleation snehadhara (pouring of medicated oil on neck regions), Abhyanga (oil massage with mahamasha tailam, lakshadi tail, prasarini thailam). In internal oleation snehapana (drinking of certain medicated oils), non nithya snehapana (oral consumption of fats).
- Sudation therapy – In this patra pinda sweda is prepared with certain leaves, this is done with external oleation therapy.
- Nasya – It is the pouring of medicated oils, and ghee. Nasya is done by masha tailam, Ksheerabala thailam, brmhana nasya (this is given in chronic and recurring symptoms).
- The patient suffers from sleep disturbances so murdini tail nasya is indicated.
- When a patient suffers from depression, problems related to memory than the patient is indicated with snehan, virechan, vasti, nasya (murdini tailam).
HERBAL FORMULATIONS FOR WHIPLASH INJURY BY PLANET AYURVEDA
Planet Ayurveda is a clinic which provides great treatment with many great results. The formulations provided by planet ayurveda are under great guidance of M.D AYURVEDA doctors, and all these formulations are free from any preservatives, resins, colors, and any synthetic material. For the management of this disease planet, ayurveda provides herbal remedies which provide great benefits to patients for healthy living and get relief from pain.
- Lakshadi Guggul
- Yograj Guggul
- Boswellia Curcumin
- Neurogenie Capsules
- Aamvatantak Churna
1. Lakshadi Guggul
Lakshadi guggul is the best classical formulation in tablet form used for healing purposes. This formulation is prepared by planet ayurveda under guidance and using various products such as Laksha (Laccifer lacca), Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Shuddha guggulu (purified Commiphora mukul). Lakshadi guggul promotes strength to bones and various joints, is an excellent anti-inflammatory and analgesics medicine. Useful in hypothyroidism, ankylosing spondylitis, avascular necrosis. Diet – Avoid deep fried foods, smoking, aerated drinks, as it increases tridosha.
Dosage: 1-2 tablets twice daily with lukewarm water.
2. Yograj Guggul
Yograj guggul is classical ayurvedic formulations which lower down vata dosha and has great healing property, is prepared in tablet form formulated by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Nagkesar (Cyperus rotundus), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), Long pepper (Piper longum), Tejpatra (Cinnamomum tamala), Cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum), Vidang (Embelia ribes). Yograj Guggul is useful in neurological disease and when a patient complains of muscle and joint pain. Yograj guggul is very effective in coccyx pain. Balanced tridosha has anti-inflammatory properties.
Dosage: 1-2 tablets twice daily with lukewarm water.
3. Boswellia Curcumin
Boswellia curcumin is a capsule form which is formulated by planet Ayurveda with standardized effects of Shallaki (Boswellia serrata), Curcumin (Curcuma longa). Curcumin has antioxidant properties, which cleanses and detoxifies rasa and enables free circulations of nutrients to the whole body. The injury in whiplash is healed by antioxidant properties of these capsules and shows a very miraculous effect in case of whiplash injury.
Doasge: 1 capsule twice daily after meals with plain water.
4. Neurogenie Capsules
Neurogenie capsule is herbal formulation in capsule form which consists of standardized extract of Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). Both herbs have neuroprotective properties, and is helpful in relieving stress which further prevents deterioration. Brahmi is useful in skin diseases, in panic attacks. Balances tridosha. Ashwangandha improves sexual function in women and boosts fertility and testosterone level in men.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
5. Aamvatantak Churna
Aamvatantak churna is herbal formulation prepared by planet ayurveda in the form of powder consisting of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Methi (Trigonella foenum), Gorakhmundi (Sphaeranthus indicus), Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Haridra (Curcumin longa) and many more. This churna consists of an adaptogenic property which reduces stress and prevents other diseases. Its neuroprotective property has healing of nerves and it regulates the function of nerves in the injured part.
Dosage: ½ to 1 teaspoon twice daily after meals with plain water.
Whiplash injury occurs when the head of a person moves backward and then forward with great force. This forceful movement leads to injury of spine, nerves, ligaments. The person suffering from whiplash injury feels more pain and stiffness in the neck region which worsens up on any movement. As per ayurveda it is correlated with abhigata which is mainly associated with vata dosha. So to maintain and for fast recovery of whiplash planet ayurveda provides 5 herbal remedies which are discussed and it has no side effects as they are free from any preservatives.