The Nervous System is a complex system of sensory nerves and is one of the crucial parts of the body. This system reacts to both external as well as internal stimuli. Beside this the Nervous System is responsible for maintaining and caring out all bodily functions. Typically the functions include digestion, heartbeat, regulating breathing, response to pain, body temperature, emotions, regulating body’s posture and even strengthening the body day by day to enjoy good quality of life. There are several conditions that can lead to hindrance in Nervous System and make the activities of the nervous system suffer along with various symptoms. One of the conditions among them is Sciatica that occurs due to any injury or irritation to the Sciatica Nerve. Let’s discuss the condition, its ayurvedic aspect and Ayurvedic management in detail.
The Sciatic Nerve starts from the Spinal Cord and rune via hips and buttocks and then separates and runs down to each leg. The Sciatic Nerve is the body’s longest nerve and also one of the most important ones. This nerve helps in controlling and feeling the legs and the irritation of this nerve leads to a condition named Sciatica. This condition includes a sensation which manifests itself and causes moderate to severe pain in the buttocks, back and legs. A person with this condition may feel sharp or burning pain, weakness or numbness in these areas. Sciatica is considered as the symptom that can occur after the trauma to the sciatic nerve. This is a brief introduction about Sciatica, now let’s discuss this condition in more detail.
SOME FACTS ABOUT SCIATICA
- Sciatica overlaps with many diagnosis
- Sciatica refers to a group of symptoms
- The Spinal nerve level involvement matters
- The risk increases with weight and height
- Treatment totally depends upon what is the cause behind Sciatica
- Medical emergencies like Cauda Equina Syndrome is possible
- Exercise in case of Sciatica is better than rest
CAUSES OF SCIATICA
This condition can be caused by various conditions which involve the spine and also affect the nerves along the back. Sciatica can be caused by any injury while falling and by sciatic or spinal tumors. Following are various common conditions that can lead to Sciatica
- Herniated Disc
- Spinal Stenosis
- Piriformis syndrome
Following are some of the risk factors that can lead to Sciatica
- As the person ages all the body parts become weakened and at a risk of developing injury.
- Work in which there is a lot of strain to the back
- Lifting heavy objects
- Long sitting
- Twisting movements
SYMPTOMS OF SCIATICA
If someone is experiencing pain which shoots from the lower back via buttock along the lower limbs then it is a typical sign of Sciatica. This condition results as the damage to the sciatic nerve, the other symptoms can be experienced along with pain same as that of nerve damage. Other symptoms of Sciatica are as follows:
- Pain get worse with the movement
- Burning, numbness and weakness in feet and legs same along with the sciatic nerve pathway
- In severe cases loss of movement or feeling is experienced
- Sensation of needles, pins that include tingling in feet or toes
- Bladder or bowel incontinence can be experienced but in rare cases;
DIAGNOSIS OF SCIATICA
Condition of Sciatica varies person to person as it depends upon the condition which leads to it. To Diagnose this condition the doctor first takes your full medical history. The medical history includes any injury, how pain feels and where someone is experiencing pain. A Doctor asks you about what makes the pain better and what makes it worse and when and how it started. After this a Physician may perform physical examination with which a muscle reflexes and muscle strength is examined. The Doctor at that time asked to do moving and stretching exercises to examine which activity is causing more pain.
The next step of diagnosis is for those people who are experiencing Sciatic pain for more than one month and have any chronic condition like that of Cancer. Nerve examination is to be done to evaluate whether the Sciatic nerve is conducting proper nerve impulses or if there are any kind of abnormalities. Various imaging tests are done to examine any structural abnormality in the spine like that of herniated disc, spinal stenosis, etc. commonly used imaging tests are X-Rays, CT Scan, MRI, etc. So these are some tests to examine the cause of Sciatica.
PREVENTIVE MEASURES FOR SCIATICA
Following are some steps that can help you in preventing the condition of Sciatica or once it get resolved these steps can prevent its reoccur
- Check your posture: Make sure the chair that you are using for long sitting provides proper back support, use the armrests and place feet on the floor.
- Must Exercise: It is must to perform exercise that can strengthen your core muscles and back muscles, this is the key to maintaining a healthy back.
- Look how you move: Lift heavy objects in the proper way, while lifting bend your knees and keep your back straight.
AYURVEDIC VIEW OF SCIATICA – GRIDHRASI
Ayurveda is a holistic science, working from more than 3000 years that is since ancient times. This science is serving mankind in a very good manner without causing any harm to their health like long term use of modern medications. As per Ayurveda Sciatica condition can be correlated to Gridhrasi. The description of Gridhrasi Roga is mentioned in almost every ancient Ayurvedic text.
In this condition pressure over gridhrasi Naadi (sciatica nerve) leads to pain in the kati region (hip region) and that pain radiates up to the fingers of the feet. In this condition srotas get vitiated are Raktavaha Srotas, Mamsavaha Srotas, Medhovaha Srotas and Pranavaha Srotas. The definition of Gridrasi Roga as per Ch. Chi. 28/56 is “स्फिक्पूर्वा कटिपृष्ठोरुजाजानुजङ्गापदं क्रमात्। गृध्रसी स्तम्भरुकतोदैर्गृह्णाति स्पन्दते मुहु:।। वाताद् वातकफात् तन्द्र गौरवारोचकान्विता।”. Which means a typical type of pain that starts from the back region and radiates from the back of the lumbar region to thighs, knee, calf and feet respectively.
Causes of Gridhrasi as per Ayurveda are
1. Vata Prakopaka Ka Nidan
- (causes that aggravates Vata Dosha), lying over a soft bed for a long time, sitting over a soft bed for a long time, excessive walking, trauma, etc.
2. Pathogenesis of Gridhrasi
- By Vataprakopaka diet and regimen, only vata dosha or vata and kapha dosha get aggravated. These doshas take place into rasa and raktavaha srotas (channels that carry lymph fluid and blood). After that causes pain in the back region, hips, thighs, knees, calf and feet, this condition is known as Gridhrasi.
3. Common Symptoms of Gridhrasi
- Pain originates in hip region, pain radiates from hip to thigh, knee, leg and foot (in the posterior part) respectively, stiffness in leg, needling pain and pulsations.
4. Symptoms according to types of Gridhrasi
- There are two types of gridhrasi- Vataj and Vata-Kaphaj Gridhrasi. Symptoms of Vataj Gridhrasi include shooting type of pain, typical curved portion of leg or body, stiffness in joints, tingling sensation in joints and other body parts that are supplied by Sciatic nerve. Symptoms of Vata – Kaphaj Grishrasi are – Anorexia, Drowsiness, Excessive Salivation and poor appetite.
5. Prognosis of Disease
- Usually Sciatica is difficult to manage, if it is chronic then this condition is difficult to manage, Vata-kaphaj type of Gridhrasi is manageable.
Line of Treatment for Gridhrasi
- Siravedana (bloodletting) is to be done from the Sciatic nerve near the ankle.
- Anuvasana Basti and Niruha basti are to be performed.
- Agnikarma (Thermal Microcautery) is to be done from the Sciatic nerve near the ankle.
Treatment as per Ayurveda
- Nidaan Parivarjan: The cause that leads to Gridhrasi is to be avoided first.
- Shodhana Chikitsa: Perform local massage with Prasarini oil or Mahavishgarbha oil. Svedana is to be with Vatahara dravya. In Vata kaphaj type of Gridhrasi Ruksha Svedana is to be performed such as Baluka Swedana or swedana with Saindhava Lavana. In case of Constipation Virechana Karma (purgation Therapy) is performed.
- Shamana Chikitsa: The Ayurvedic formulations used in Vata Vyadhi are effective in case of Gridhrasi. Formulations such as Yograj guggul, Vrihat Vatchintamani Ras, Dhanwantaram tailam, etc.
Above is the Ayurvedic view about Sciatica, let’s see what are the remedies prescribed by Planet Ayurveda for this condition.
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR SCIATICA By Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is a company which has been working on the aim of ayurveda for 20 years. They are serving mankind almost all over the world. As their remedies are 100% pure and have no added preservatives and synthetic materials in it so can be consumed by a person with any age even a child can also consume these safe herbal remedies. These supplements can not only be consumed by a diseased person but can also be used as a daily supplement by a healthy person. They formulate medicines Classical as well as patents which covers the management of almost all the diseases. For Sciatica, Sciatica Care pack is prescribed by planet ayurveda. Let’s discuss below what are these remedies, what are their ingredients and how they are effective in the management of Sciatica.
SCIATICA CARE PACK
- HAKAM CHURNA
- BOSWELLIA CURCUMIN
- YOGRAJ GUGGUL
- ASHWAGANDHA CAPSULES
- VRIHAT VATCHINTAMANI RAS
- DHANWANTHARAM TAILAM
1. HAKAM CHURNA
Hakam Churna is a herbal powder formulation prepared by Planet Ayurveda. This Churna consists of powder of herbs like chandrashoor (Lepidium sativum), kalonji (Nigella sativa), methi (Trigonella foenum graecum) and awain (Trachyspermum ammi). Ama accumulation is one of the main causes of Gridhrasi, as its accumulation causes obstruction in the pathway of Vata and leads to aggravation of Vata at that point. Hakam Churna is an effective remedy for eliminating Ama dosha from the body, thus effective in managing Gridhrasi.
Dosage: ½ tsp twice daily with plain water after meals.
2. BOSWELLIA CURCUMIN
Boswellia Curcumin is a capsule formulation prepared by planet Ayurveda. This formulation consists of standardised extract of herbs shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and Curcumin (Curcuma longa). The herbs present in these capsules are best analgesics and anti-inflammatory in nature. Also these herbs effectively reduce Vata and kapha dosha. So by these properties Boswellia Curcumin Capsules reduce pain and inflammation in case of Sciatica.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
3. YOGRAJ GUGGUL
Yograj Guggul is a classical Ayurvedic formulation which is used since ancient times to manage various Vata Vyadhi. This formulation is prepared by Planet Ayurveda under the strict regardance of M.D. Ayurveda Doctors. The remedy is available in tablet form and consists of herbs such as guggul (Commiphora mukul), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bibhitaki (Terminalia Bellerica), vidang (Embelia ribes) and some others. By pacifying Vata Dosha it helps in reducing the symptoms such as shooting type of pain, typical curved portion of leg or body, stiffness in joints, tingling sensation in joints, etc.
Dosage: 2 tablets twice daily with plain water after meals.
4. ASHWAGANDHA CAPSULES
Ashwagandha Capsules is a single herbal capsule formulation prepared by Planet Ayurveda. These capsules are made up by standardised extract of herb Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). These capsules have adaptogenic properties that will help in promoting the action of other remedies in Sciatica Care Pack. Ashwagandha is also a wonderful Vata pacifier, rejuvenator, muscle strengthening, these properties are also very helpful in managing Sciatica.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
5. VRIHAT VATCHINTAMANI RAS
Vrihat Vatchintamani ras is a classical ayurvedic formulation. This formulation has been used since ancient times for a number of Vataj health conditions. This remedy is available in tablet form and consists of ingredients like Swarna Bhasma (calyx of Gold), Abhraka Bhasma (Calyx of Mica), Rajata Bhasma (Calyx of Silver), etc. As mentioned this is a best herbal remedy for vataj disorders thus it assists in the management of Sciatica.
Dosage: 1 tablet twice daily with warm water after meals.
6. DHANWANTHARAM TAILAM
Dhanwantharam Tailam is a classical Ayurvedic oil. This oil has vata balancing herbs like Bala (Sida cordifolia), Yava (Hordeum vulgare), Agnimantha (Premna mucronata), etc. Local application of this oil reduces Vata and kapha dosha and alleviates the symptoms of Sciatica. It reduces stiffness, tingling sensation, weakness of muscles that are supplied by Sciatic nerve. This oil is also effective in preventing the movement loss in Chronic stages.
Method of application: Warm the oil with a water bath method and then apply it locally over the affected area.
Irritation to the Sciatica nerve leads to the condition named Sciatica. The Sciatic Nerve starts from the Spinal Cord and rune via hips and buttocks and then separates and runs down to each leg. So This condition includes a sensation which manifests itself and causes moderate to severe pain in the buttocks, back and legs. Common causes of this condition are Herniated Disc, Spinal Stenosis, Spondylolisthesis, Piriformis syndrome, etc. Symptoms usually faced by a person are Burning, numbness and weakness in feet and legs same along with the sciatic nerve pathway. In severe cases loss of movement or feeling is experienced. As per Ayurveda this condition is correlated to Gridhrasi. Line of treatment as per Ayurveda is mentioned as Siravedana, Anuvasana Basti and Agnikarma. Also Planet Ayurveda provides Sciatica Care Pack, you can consume these remedies without thinking of their side effects as the products are 100% pure.