Nature had gifted women with the power of reproduction. New life is kindled by her womb. This makes her body functional in a very peculiar manner which has its roots in hormonal cycles. Hormones secreted by the female body have a marked impact on her physical as well as mental wellbeing. Excessive work pressure ,unhealthy lifestyle adoption , faulty food habits like excessive use of packed foods, disturbed time of meals proves to be one of the major factors responsible for hormonal imbalance . These all count on her menstrual health . Today the majority of women experience symptoms prior to menstruation and are collectively termed as PMS -premenstrual syndrome . If not addressed rightly these syndrome may disturb her daily life and can also be responsible for any other mental condition.
PMS (Premenstrual Syndrome)
Premenstrual syndrome is a group of physical and emotional symptoms that starts from one to two weeks before your period. PMS symptoms are different for everyone . You may get physical symptoms , emotional symptoms or both. It is more common in women aged 30-45.
Physical Symptoms may include
- Breast tenderness
- Severe abdominal pain or cramps
- Weight gain
- Food cravings
Emotional symptoms may include
- Crying spells
- Mood swings
- Sleeping too much or too little
- Less interest in sex
- The exact cause of PMS is not clear but as we know that levels of estrogen and progesterone usually drop one week before your periods . This decline in hormone levels triggers the symptoms of PMS .
- There is no single test that can diagnose PMS. The symptoms occur only during the 5 to7 days before the menstrual period and there can be physical as well as behavioral symptoms.
- Ayurvedic believes that PMS is caused by the imbalance in doshas . More specifically Apana Vata . Apana vata is located in the lower pelvic and is responsible for elimination of menstrual blood ,urine & reproductive fluids.
- On the onset of menstruation, apana vata in the body increases & produces symptoms like disturbed digestion, headache & more. It also causes the aggravation of prana vata which is located in the head and brain and is linked to anxiety and mood disorders.
- While there is no physical examination that can diagnose PMS, Ayurveda can help in balancing out the doshas that cause its symptoms.
1. Vata imbalance
- Brahmi, Ashwagandha, Guduchi Dashamoola , Tulsi , Shankapushpi are a few such herbs that can be used for balancing vata dosha.
- Consuming aloe vera gel (1 tablespoon) with a pinch of black pepper is also effective.
2. Pitta imbalance
- Increased Appetite
- Herbs like Shatavari , Kumari , Amalaki ,Triphala are the best to deal with a pitta imbalance.
- Consume alovera gel (1 tablespoon) with a pinch of Cumin powder is also effective.
3. Kapha imbalance
- Weight gain
- Breast tenderness
- Herbs like Shatavari , Ashwagandha , Trikatu are the best to deal with a kapha imbalance.
- Consume alovera gel (1 tablespoon) with a pinch of trikatu is also effective.
Some Drugs and Medicinal Formulations Which can be used on Day to Day Basis
- Ashwangandha-Regular use helps to maintain optimum energy level and also confers sound sleep .
- Rason– Garlic is mainly indicated in vata disorders and so has Rasayana effects in organs.
- Shatavari-Single herb can be used as Rasayana and also acts on Rasa Dhatu.
- Chandraprabha vati- Acts as Rasayana for female body. It takes care of any imbalance in dosha and corrects hormonal imbalance also.
- Chawanprash Rasayana –Whole body rejuvenator.
- Having buttermilk with a pinch of fenugreek(Methi) & asafoetida(Hing) helps to relieve muscle cramps.
- Hibiscus flower paste is mixed with lukewarm milk & consumed to relax the mind .
Diet and lifestyle Tips
- Proper maintenance of personal hygiene.
- Maintaining sound and balanced state of mind throughout the day.
- Taking rest at regular intervals.
- Having a happy and positive attitude in all situations.
- Drink plenty of fluids including water, fresh fruit juices.
- Taking food only after digestion of previously taken food.
- Minimize the use of soft drinks and other drinks like tea and coffee
A few yoga asanas that can help are
- Surya Namaskar
- Ushtrasana(camel pose)
- Gomukhasana(cow- face pose)
- Bhujangasana(cobra- pose)
- Anuloma Viloma(Alternate nostril breathing)
- Practicing breathing exercises and meditation for Controlling thought process & associated emotions.
Herbal Remedies for PMS by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is a GMP certified company which offers products across the world. The products are totally organic and prepared using standardized extract of herbs under the guidance of expert ayurveda practitioners. So in PMS planet ayurveda offers PMS care pack, Let’s have a Look!
1. Pradrantak churna
Blend of four unique herbs like Ashok(Saraca asoca), Lodhra(Symplocos racemosa), Arjuna(Terminalia arjuna), Udumbar (Ficus racemosa) make a special formulation named pradrantak churna. This helps in strengthening of muscles and proper flower during menstruation.
Dosage– 1 tsp twice daily after meal with plain water
2. Aloe vitals capsules
Aloe vitals capsules contain pure extract of Aloe-vera . Aloe -vera detoxifies the whole body as it has Antioxidant properties. This product helps in healthy flow of blood & supports healthy menstruation.
Dosage– 1 cap twice daily after meal with plain water
3. Female Health support
Female Health support capsules are specially made for the overall well being of the females. These capsules are prepared using the pure extracts of -Shatavari(Asparagus racemosus), Ashoka(Saraca asoca), Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa). It helps to maintain hormonal balance.
Dosage– 1 capsule twice daily after meal with plain water
4. Mahashank Vati
It is made using herbs such as – Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), Pippali (Piper longum), Tamarind bark(Tamarind indica).This three herbs combination helps to balance all the three doshas of the body. It also helps to maintain a healthy menstrual cycle.
Dosage– 1 tab thrice daily to be chewed 20 min before meal.
5. Brahmi Vati
It contains extract of Brahmi is one of the four Medhya rasayan mentioned by Acharya Charak that means it is an Amazing brain tonic. It calms the mind & reduces the symptoms occurring in PMS like Anxiety, Mood swings & Headache.
Dosage– 2 tab twice daily after meal with plain water
In a nutshell it is concluded that PMS can be very well managed with ayurveda along with safe herbal formulations and diet or lifestyle. So use these formulations and keep yourself safe and healthy! For more queries, please mail us on email@example.com