There are various health conditions a person is prone to. With food that is contaminated and adulterated, health issues are inevitable to emerge. So it becomes a duty of a person to live a life by consuming a healthy diet. As the unhealthy diet is the mother of various diseases. Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) is also a diseased condition that is directly linked to a junk diet a person has been consuming. In a Transient Ischemic Attack blood supply to the brain is hampered by microembolism (blood clots).
That results in temporary reduction of blood supply to the brain which results in some symptoms for a minute or a little longer. This is a low level stroke but can severely damage the brain. It is an emergency condition and thus requires immediate care. In the following text we shall see some details of Transient Ischemic Attack and its management in the contemporary system of medicine as well as in the ayurvedic system of medicine. Let’s see!!
Transient Ischemic Attack develops as a result of temporary blood supply to the brain. Blood supply is hindered by microemboli in the artery that supplies the brain. This is also known as ‘Ministroke’. It can be considered as a warning sign of a future stroke. Thus it becomes important to take immediate care of the condition as it is a medical emergency. Transient Ischemic Attack is associated with brain dysfunction in a circumscribed area that is caused by a regional decreased blood flow,thus oxygen supply to the part is hampered, which results in minor clinical symptoms. Symptoms persist for a shorter period of time. And it is fully resolved within twenty four hours. 80% of strokes after Transient Ischemic Attacks are preventable. Therefore, early diagnosis and treatment are essential to minimise the risk of getting an disabling attack of a stroke.
Causes of Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
- Carotid artery stenosis is the prime cause of transient ischemic attack.
- Blockage of an artery by blood clots or some fatty substance.
- High blood pressure can lead to TIA.
- High cholesterol levels is another causative factor.
- Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to TIA.
- TIA is usually occurs in obese persons beecaus fat accumulation around the arteries.
- Tendency of TIA is increased in smokers.
- Diabetes patients are prone to get TIA.
- Atrial fibrillation.
- Increased blood pressure on the arteries is another factor that can result in TIA.
Signs and Symptoms
- Patients feel dizziness or loss of consciousness can occur.
- Paralysis or weakness and numbness can be experienced in the face, arms or lower extremities, usually referring to only one side.
- Blindness can occur.
- Double vision can be there.
- Slurring of speech. The patient’s speech is not clear generally.
- Nonfocal neurological symptoms can emerge as generalised weakness, fainting, lightheadedness, blackouts or bladder or bowel symptoms.
- Complete blood count on the necessary basis as it can indicate the level of haemoglobin used for anaemia screening. Platelet count is useful in detecting thrombocytosis as it is a cause of Transient Ischemic Attack.
- Coagulogram is required to check partial thromboplastin time (PTI), international normalised ratio (INR). Further investigations regarding coagulopathies are advised according to the condition.
- Blood glucose level needs to be monitored because hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia can mimic Transient Ischemic Attack, particularly hypoglycemia.
- Lipid profile is needed to check the lipid levels like cholesterol, triglycerides etc.
- ECG and blood oxygen saturation is useful to identify Transient Ischemic Attack and pulmonary embolism or myocardial infarction.
- CT brain and CT angiography is usually needed in high risk patients who can develop recurrent strokes.
Approximately 90% of the patients who have experienced a ministroke, which is Transient Ischemic Attack, have a higher chance to experience a stroke in the next ninety days. Thus TIA is a medical emergency that needs sudden medical care.
- Treatment includes revascularisation (that is restoring blood flow in blocked veins and arteries) in patients who have symptoms associated with carotid artery stenosis.
- Anticoagulation in patients by atrial fibrillation and antiplatelet agents can be used. (Clopidogrel 75mg per day). Aspirin with 75 mg can be initiated.
- Statins are used in hypertensive patients.
- Lifestyle changing by avoiding alcohol, junk food and stopping smoking.
Herbal Remedies for Transient Ischemic Attack by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is an esteemed GMP certified, US-FDA registered and ISO 9001:2015 certified Ayurvedic Company, which observes the aim of manufacturing quality Ayurvedic medicines as described in the different ancient texts of Ayurveda. Medicines are manufactured without additives and preservatives and other kinds of chemicals or flavour enhancers which cause many side effects on the human body. Products prepared at Planet Ayurveda are pure and devoid of any adulteration. Planet Ayurveda has manufactured the following products using the herbs beneficial for cardiac muscle and heart health as well as for blood purification. Following is the list of formulations that is going to help in treating the Transient Ischemic Attack and its further complications which can result in a full blown disabling stroke.
- Ashwagandha capsules
- Brahmi capsules
- Arjuna capsules
- Punarnava capsules
- Curcumin capsules
- Gotu Kola capsules
1. Ashwagandha Capsules
It contains ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). These capsules are filled with the robust properties of Ashwagandha. It improves the quality of blood. It also improves blood flow in the body.
Dosage : 2 Capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
2. Brahmi capsules
It is composed of a single herb namely brahmi (Bacopa monnieri). It is beneficial in reducing blood pressure. This is beneficial in hypertensive patients. Brahmi calms the mind and relieves symptoms of anxiety and stress.
Dosage : 2 capsules with plain water two times a day after meals.
3. Arjuna Capsules
It is a single herb capsule composed of Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna). It is the herb of choice in heart conditions. It is a herb that provides strength to the cardiac muscles.
Dosage: 2 capsules with plain water 2 times a day after 30 minutes of meals.
4. Punarnava Capsules
It contains punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa) extract. It helps in maintaining a good cardiovascular system. It is beneficial in hypotensive patients. It also increases haemoglobin in anaemic patients. Punarnava is also advantageous in neurological problems that can arise due to Transient Ischemic Attack.
Dosage : 1 Capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
5. Curcumin Capsules
It consists of Harida (Curcuma longa), which enhances blood circulation. It has anti-inflammatory properties thus alleviates inflammation anywhere in the body. Furthermore it pacifies all three doshas i.e. vata, pitta and kapha. As it improves the blood circulation in micro blood vessels, which makes it beneficial in Transient Ischemic Attack.
Dosage : 2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals.
6. Gotu Kola Capsules
These capsules are filled with Gotukola (Centella asiatica). Gotukola is known to be a ‘hridya’ which means cardiac health well being enhancer. It is useful in ‘raktapitta’, which is a bleeding disorder. Therefore it is beneficial in Transient Ischemic Attack.
Dosage : 2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals.
Contact Planet Ayurveda to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or call at +91-172-5214040 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
As we have discussed, Transient Ischemic Attack is known as ‘ministroke’ which is less drastic than the full blown disabling stroke. As it is a warning sign of a stroke, it becomes essential to take immediate care about the condition. As mentioned above, the management plan in the contemporary medicine system and ayurvedic system. Ayurvedic management is based on treating the root cause of the disease as well as symptoms of a medical condition. Moreover, there are numerous health benefits of a single herb other than the main action. Therefore, the above mentioned herbal capsules act mainly on the cardiovascular system and improve its wellbeing.
Hence advantageous in curing and preventing the Transient Ischemic Attack and further stroke. In conclusion, aforesaid herbal capsules prepared by Planet Ayurveda provide relief from Transient Ischemic Attack and provide other numerous benefits.