Cancer is the abnormal and uncontrolled growth of the cell. These cells have the property to spread into the other parts of the cell. It is of two types, that is a benign and a malignant tumor. The benign tumor is less dangerous than malignant tumor because it does not spread to the other part of the body. There are many types of cancer, i.e. Blood cancer, oral cancer, liver cancer, kidney cancer, and uterus cancer, etc. today here we are discussing oral cancer.
Oral cancer is the type of cancer which is developed and spread in the mouth and throat. It is included in the category of head and neck cancer. It basically develops in the squamous cells of the mouth, lips, and tongue. Oral cancer can be developed by the people over 40 years old. It cannot be diagnosed in its early stages.
Types of Oral Cancer
- Tongue Cancer
- The inner lining of the cheek
- Roof of mouth
- The floor of the mouth
- Hard and soft palate
Symptoms of Oral Cancer
- Bleeding in the mouth.
- Development of swelling, lumps, crust, rough spot and eroded areas on lips and inside the mouth.
- Development of white patches in the mouth.
- Difficulties in chewing, speaking and mouth inner movement.
- Development of limps in the neck.
- Pain in your jaw and stiffness in teeth.
- Development of outgrowth in the mouth.
- Permanent sore in the throat.
- Pain in the mouth, and tongue.
- Sudden weight loss.
- Pain in jaws.
- In some case, there is a pain in your ear.
Causes of Oral Cancer
The mouth or oral cancer is developed when there are some changes in your mouth cells. These changes can occur due to the mutation in squamous cells or by some other reason. Due to mutation, our oral cells undergo uncontrolled growth and there is the development of an outgrowth on that part of the mouth. This may further spread to another part of your body and become more dangerous in that case.
- The main reason for mouth cancer is the consumption of nicotine, i.e. in the form of tobacco, cigarettes, cigars, snuff and other nicotine containing products.
- Another cause of oral cancer is alcohol, if a person consumes the excessive amount of alcohol than it will lead to the formation of cancerous cells.
- More exposure to the sun will also lead to the development of a cancerous cell in the lips.
- It also developed due to poor oral hygiene.
- People having week immune system are also more prone to oral cancer.
- Poor diet mainly the deficiency of Vitamin A may lead to the formation of oropharyngeal cancer.
- Infection of HPV virus which is Human papillomavirus. If a person is infected with this virus then there is more chance of oral cancer.
- Fair skin is more prone to oral cancer.
- Recently study shows that people who use marijuana have more chance of getting affected by head and neck cancer.
- Diet rich in fried food, processed meat, and food may also cause oral cancer.
Stages of Oral Cancer
- Stage-1 : At this stage, the cancer is not much spread in your mouth. It is the early stage of cancer. The tumor is around 1 inch and not exceeding to a lymph node.
- Stage-2 : Tumor is around 1-2 inches and has not spread in another part of the mouth.
- Stage-3 : The tumor is more than 2 inches and reaches nearby the lymph node.
- Stage-4 : At this stage, cancer reaches the lymph node and spread to another part of the mouth.
In Ayurveda, there are many home remedies and other herbal product which helps to cure oral cancer and also helps to reduce the excessive pain in the mouth due to an oral ulcer. The natural herbs, mainly help in detoxifying the blood and remove the entire toxin from the body. These herbs also help to improve the immunity of patients infected with oral cancer.
Home Remedies for Oral Cancer
Carrots are the rich source of beta-carotene which is very good ant cancerous nutrient for your body. It also acts as an antioxidant so dr. recommend this to the patients suffering from oral cancer.
2. Grape Seeds
It’s a very good source of vitamin E, C, and beta-carotene. The antioxidant property of this fruit helps our body to destroy the free radical produced during oxidation reaction. The free radical is not good for our body in excessive amount because it damages the body cells.
The deficiency of vitamin C in your body is also the main cause of oral cancer, so lemon helps you to over the deficiency of vitamin C.
4. Bitter Gourd
It contains alpha eleostearic acid, which helps to eliminate the cancer cell from your body.
How to Overcome the Risk of Oral Cancer
- You should opt for heavy fruits and veggies diet because lack of proper nutrients can lead to severe changes in your mouth and make you more prone to cancer. You should eat foods which are rich in antioxidants, vitamins C, E, and beta-carotene.
- You must cut down the alcohol use because excessive alcohol consumption may also lead to cause oral cancer.
- You should quit smoking because it’s the main reason for oral cancer. The more and longer you smoke cigarettes, pipes and cigars than you are more prone to oral infection and cancer.
- Lower the risk of HPV. It is basically a sexually transmitted virus. There is some vaccination to overcome the risk of HPV. But it can works good only when you get it before you are sexually active.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure. Some studies show that the sun not only cause you skin cancer, but it is also not good for your lips. So use sun protection before you go outside.
- Monthly checkup of your mouth, because oral cancer just starts with a mouth ulcer and there are some red and white patches in your mouth. So it is important to consult your doctor.
- Quitting chew or snuff because if you are using it for a long time, than it causes the development of cancer cell.
- Brush your teeth properly in the morning and before you sleep because it’s just good for oral health.
- Avoids mouthwash containing alcohol content because some studies show that the use of such products could also increase the risk of oral cancer.
- Maintain proper oral hygiene.