Diabetes: Overview Diabetes — mostly called Diabetes Mellitus by doctors — is a long-term condition which is marked by high blood sugar (blood glucose) levels. The term ‘Diabetes’ is generally used for ‘a group of metabolic disorders’ in which patients have elevated blood-sugar levels.
The patients of Diabetes mostly suffer from certain health issues which are believed to be the common indications of the disease. These indications include polyuria (frequent urination), polyphagia (intense hunger), polydipsia (intense thirst), fatigue, weight gain or unusual weight loss, sexual dysfunction in men, long healing time for cuts and bruises, and tingling sensation or numbness in hands and feet.
The occurrence of Diabetes, or the condition of high blood sugar levels, is linked to two ‘insulin-related’ reasons. The first reason is that the insulin production by the pancreas is insufficient; and the second reason is the inability of the body’s cells to respond properly to the insulin which is produced by the pancreas.
Based on these two reasons which are considered the main causes for the occurrence of Diabetes, the disease is categorized as ‘Type I’ Diabetes if the patient’s body does not produce enough insulin; and ‘Type II’ Diabetes if the response of the body cells to the insulin produced is not proper. Along with these two main types of Diabetes, there is another form of the disease which is called ‘Gestational Diabetes.’ This type of Diabetes occurs in pregnant women.
Diabetes can put the patients at risk of a number of serious health complications, including cardiovascular disease, vision problems, chronic kidney disease, and foot ulcers.
- There is no permanent cure for Diabetes, which is considered to be a life-long condition for patients having high blood sugar levels. However, there are some simple and effective home remedies which can prove to be very beneficial for managing the symptoms of the disease.
The Top 7 home remedies which can be of immense benefit to Diabetes patients have be explained below:
- The use of Fenugreek seeds is very helpful in controlling Diabetes. These seeds are high in fiber, and are known for their hypoglycaemic activity which can lower blood sugar levels. Fenugreek also has proven properties for improving glucose tolerance, lowering blood sugar levels because of their hypoglycaemic activity, stimulating the secretion of glucose-dependent insulin, and slowing down the body’s absorption of sugars and carbohydrates.
- Patients suffering from Diabetes should either take two tablespoons of powdered Fenugreek seeds with milk every day, or soak two tablespoons of Fenugreek seeds in water overnight and drink the water (along with the seeds) on an empty stomach in the morning.
Black Plum (Jamun)
- Black Plum or Indian Black Berry (Jamun or Jambul) contains anthocyanins, hydrolysable tannins, ellagic acid, etc., which can help control blood sugar levels in Diabetes patients. All the parts of the Jamun plant — its leaves, fruit (berry) and seeds — can be of great benefit in managing the disease. The Jamun fruit and its seeds can rapidly lower blood sugar levels due to their hypoglycemic effect; and the seeds particularly are rich in glycoside jamboline and alkaloid jambosine which can effectively regulate blood sugar levels.
- To benefit from the goodness of Jamun, Diabetes patients should include this seasonal fruit in their diet when it is available. Alternatively, they can also use the powder of dried seeds of the fruit. The powder should be taken two times a day, with plain water.
- Bitter Gourd or Bitter Melon (Karela) is widely known for its properties for lowering blood sugar levels and controlling Diabetes. The consumption of Bitter Gourd can have a beneficial effect on the general metabolism of the body, increase the production of insulin, and prevent insulin resistance.
- Patients suffering from Type I and Type II Diabetes should make Bitter Gourd a part of their daily diet. They can also benefit from the use of Bitter Gourd by drinking its juice, with some water added to it, on empty stomach in the morning. For best results, this remedy should be followed every morning for at least two months.
- Cinnamon is another useful remedy for Diabetes because of its capability to stimulate insulin activity in the body and lower the elevated blood sugar levels. The bioactive components present in Cinnamon can fight Diabetes, and are especially beneficial for patients suffering from uncontrolled Type II Diabetes.
- Diabetes patients can add powdered Cinnamon to warm beverages, baked foods, and smoothies. Alternatively, they can also mix half or one teaspoon of Cinnamon powder in a cup of warm water and drink it every day.
- The juice of Indian Gooseberry (Amla) is widely known for its ability to enhance the functioning of the pancreas. Amla contains an abundance of Vitamin C which can significantly regulate the blood sugar levels for Diabetes patients.
- The regular use can be very beneficial for managing Diabetes. Patients suffering from the disease can mix two tablespoons of Amla juice in one cup of water and drink it on an empty stomach every morning; or they can mix one tablespoon of Amla juice in a cup of Bitter Gourd juice and consume it daily.
Okra or Ladyfinger (Bhindi) contains ‘polyphenolic’ molecules which have the ability to lower blood glucose levels and manage Diabetes. Moreover, Okra seeds also have proven anti-diabetic and anti-hyperlipidemic potential.
Diabetes patients should add Okra to their diet; or they can soak some pricked Okras in a glass of water overnight, and drink the water in the morning after removing the Okras.
- Exercise or regular physical activity of any kind — like Yoga, aerobics, sports, etc. — can also help lower the high blood sugar levels in Diabetes patients. Exercise checks obesity, and is helpful in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
- Besides exercise, Diabetes patients should also practice medication or indulge in some other activities which can be helpful in relieving stress because excessive stress is also one of the causes of Diabetes.
- The home remedies mentioned above can be extremely useful for lowering the high blood sugar levels in Diabetes patients. In addition to these home remedies, it is also important that Diabetes patients should follow a healthy diet plan, eat a fiber-rich diet, increase their water/fluid intake, and monitor their blood sugar levels regularly.