Acidity or acid reflux is majorly an esophageal problem. Excessive production of gastric juice leads to Acidity. In most people, Acidity may cause serious complications. To lower the chances of serious complications, it’s important to be aware and take preventive steps. So let us look at what is acidity and some of the parameters to prevent acidity.
What is Acidity?
It is a common condition also termed as acid reflux or Gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD). It causes a burning sensation and Chest Pain. It happens when stomach acid (Hydrochloric Acid and pepsin) is released in excess in our stomach. This increased level of Stomach acid irritates the lining of esophagus and cause acidity, which in turn makes it dysfunctional. This roots an acidic stomach.
Stomach naturally produces this acid in the gastric glands of stomach. The hydrochloric acid, is a strong acid that helps in breaking down the food and protects against different microbes.
Types of Acidity
The most Common types of Acidity are:-
Heartburn reflux-It is a condition where stomach acid is forced back into the food pipe. This creates burning in the lower chest.
Throat burn reflux- The Strong Gastric Acid produces a burning sensation in the back of your throat and can also give you a bitter taste in your throat.
It affects the health by causing a lump sensation in the throat or chronic cough.
Sign and Symptoms
Acidity is one of the most common problems that most individuals face. Acidity symptoms differ from person to person. The lining of stomach is designed well to withstand a acidic environment. But the food pipe can’t tolerate too much acidic conditions for long time which leads to the occurrence of burning sensation in the chest. Some of the symptoms which can be felt as a result of acidity can be:-
- As mentioned above, Acidity can cause an uncomfortable burning feeling in your chest, which can radiate
up toward your throat. This feeling is often known as heartburn.
- Difficulty swallowing or the sensation of food being stuck in your throat.
- Gas and abdominal discomfort which leads to abdominal swelling which is called as Bloating.
- Indigestion that leads to pain and burning in upper part of stomach called as Dyspepsia.
- If you have acidity, you might develop a sour or bitter taste at the back of your mouth. It might also
cause you to vomit food or liquid.
- Acidity may leads to Constipation.
- Wheezing, dry cough, hoarseness, or chronic sore throat- These conditions occur when Hydrochloric acid from
the stomach backs up into the food pipe- the pipe that carries food from the mouth to the stomach.
- Acid reflux causes pain in lower chest, Bad breath.
- Indigestion and frequent hiccups or restlessness are also signs of Acid Reflux.
Causes of Acidity-
Acidity is mainly related to only two main concern first is food and other is our lifestyle. Sometimes it also depends on the family background. Acidity is caused due to excess production of acid in the stomach by the gastric glands. Factors that cause acidity include:
• Bad eating habits- Overeating, consumption of too much spicy food, eating too much before sleeping, eating food at odd times or skipping meals, high intake of salt or frequent consumption of alcohol are some of the eating habits that should not be neglected. Consumption of too much non-vegetarian food or packed food, smoking, consuming chocolate and caffeine also leads to Acidity Reflux.
• Stress and lack of physical exercise- Daily Life routine affect the health of people. Excessive Stress, Lack of sleep may cause Acidity.
• Side-effects of medications: Medication includes anti-inflammatory drugs, Antibiotics, Blood Pressure Medicines, calcium-channel blockers, pain-killer, sedatives, and antidepressants, Depression and Anxiety medicines can also cause Acidity.
An unhealthy lifestyle can drastically affect and increase the risk of getting an acidity attack. Acidity is common Medical Problem for people who suffers from diabetes, Asthma, Connective tissue disorder.
Who are more prone to Acid Reflux?
As we have discussed above Acidity can be People who are obese, pregnant women, or women who are nearing menopause are more prone to acidity.
Complications in Acidity can be serious and may include the following:
• Scarring- Acidity or Acid reflux cause scarring over time as the tissue in the Food pipe tries to heal itself.
• Ulcers- Ulcers typically cause pain or a burning sensation in the center of the chest. Ulcers can also be caused by certain types of gastric surgery or foreign bodies.
• Precancerous changes known as Barrett’s esophagus- It is a serious complication where repeated exposure to stomach acid causes changes in the cells and tissues lining the esophagus with potential to develop into cancer cells. Frequent heartburn and chest pain are symptoms of Barrett’s Esophagus.
• Tooth Decay- Frequent acidity can cause a gradual wearing away of the enamel on your teeth.
Barrett’s esophagus and Esophagitis both are accessory with a higher risk of cancer.
Surpassing an acidity condition untreated for a long time can lead to innumerable Complication which can damage internal organs. Thus it is necessary to get treatment on time for not making the situation severe. Lookout for medical help if you are experiencing a heartburn or chest pain accompanied by chronic sore throat. Various Diagnosis techniques may include:
- X-Ray imaging
- Esophageal manometry
Herbal Treatment for Acidity:-
Planet Ayurveda serves best effective herbal remedies articulating pack by the name of Acidity Care Pack for Ayurvedic Treatment of Acidity. These herbal Remedies contain best quality herbs and strictly follows the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal Remedies of planet Ayurveda are 100% pure, natural and vegetarian. All medicines are free from chemicals, additives, starch, color and yeast. These are safe to use at any age. These herbal remedies are free from any
Acidity care Pack includes:
- Amalaki Rasayan
- Digestion Support
- Heart Burn Capsules
1. Amalaki Rasayan–It consists of pure extract of Amla (Emblica officinalis), after a process to yield best results. It is one of the richest source of Vitamin C. Amalaki Rasayana acts as an anti-oxidant which helps to maintain the balance of pitta dosha in the body. It is best herbal remedy for heart burn and even chronic acidity.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules daily, with water, after meal.
2. Digestion Support-It is a purely an herbal formulation without any chemicals added in it. It is a perfect blend of unique and effective herbs, which work best in improving entire digestive system.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules daily, with water, after meal.
3. Heart Burn Capsules-It is a combination for stubborn acidity and GERD. Presence of compound like pearl and corals provide cooling effects which directly helps in reducing Heartburn. It helps in building strong immune-system. These capsules act as an anti-pyretic, anti-inflammatory and excellent blood purifier.
Dosage: 1 capsules daily, with water, after meal.
Acid reflux or Acidity is a problem that most of the people face, some on a day to day basis. So, it’s always recommended to follow these herbal remedies and maintain a healthy lifestyle.