Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease is the condition in which the content of the stomach comes into the esophagus. Resulting complications and symptoms. Acid reflux is due to poor closure of the lower esophageal sphincter. It is characterized by mucosal damage produced by the abnormal reflux of gastric content in the stomach.
Causes of GERD
- Hiatal hernia
- Zollinger’s Ellison Syndrome
- High Blood Calcium
- Systemic Sclerosis
- Peptic ulcers etc
Symptoms of GERD
- Taste of acid in the back of the mouth
- Heart Burn
- Bad Breath
- Chest Pain
- Breathing Problem
- Regurgitation of Ingested Material
- Sore Throat
- Increased Salivation
- Chest Pain etc
In Case of Children, The Symptoms Are
- Repeated Vomiting
- Coughing Other Respiratory Problems like Wheezing, Inconsolable Crying, Refusing Food etc
Complications of GERD
- Esophageal Stricture
- Barrett’s Esophagitis, etc
Gastric acid reflux can erode the internal mucosal wall of the esophagus leads to ulcers which cause difficulty in swallowing.
Diagnosis of GERD
The diagnosis is based on physical examination and history of signs and symptoms of the patient.
- Ambulatory acid (PH) probe test
- Esophageal manometry
- X – Ray of the upper digestive system.
Other causes of chest pain should be ruled out before making a diagnosis it can be associated with heart disease.
- Obesity: in this increased abdominal pressure leads to delay gastric emptying leads to GERD
- Delayed stomach emptying.etc
- There may some genetic risk factors that are also responsible for the disease
Natural Remedies for GERD
Ayurveda has pure safe and Natural Remedies for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease(GERD) associated with some dietary changes and lifestyle changes.
Aa Per Ayurveda
Three energies Vata, pitta, and Kapha are responsible for the healthy functioning of the body. The condition like GERD due to consumption of pitta aggravating food which vitiated all three dosha especially pitta dosha. Theses dosha produced toxins that go upward into the food pipe causing heartburn. More intakes of spicy food, coffee, fried food; oily food aggravate the pitta causing acidity and heartburn. Pitta is also aggravated by the late-night work schedule and increase the intake of medication or frequent medication.
Treatment According To Ayurveda
Pitta according to Ayurveda; represents heat and fire .it is hot, sharp, and intense in nature. Few simple changes in lifestyle and diet along with medicine can help bring pitta into a balanced state. Pitta is located in the stomach causes burning and acid production.
There Are Ssome Natural Way To Get Rid Of GERD
1 Amalaki Rasayana
Tt is an extract of Amalaki, this is the rich source of vitamin c, it supports digestion and helps to remove toxins from the body. It protects the body from harmful chemicals.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily with plain water.
2 Digestion Support
This product contains amla, hritaki, bibhtaki, sounf, dhaniya, peepali, and jeera. These are very helpful in the maintenance of proper ph and improve digestion. It also balances three doshas of the body. In Kapha dosha, it removes increased Kapha from the body which is the main cause of appetite loss. it improves immunity and maintains the proper metabolism of the body.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily with plain water.
3 HeartBurn Capsule
It contains coral calcium, agate calcium, Ayurvedic calcium compound pearl calcium, and Tinospora extract .it is helpful to get rid of heartburn due to GERD. This herb neutralized excessive acid and helps to balance aggravated pitta dosha in the body. it has rejuvenating power to provide strength to the body to fight against infections.
It also acts as antipyretic and blood purifying property this medicine also cures stomach related problems like hyperacidity and indigestion. This product is also helpful to relieve cough, heartburn, and heart disease. There is no side effect of this medicine this can be used safely to relive stomach related disease.
Dosage:- 1 capsule twice daily with plain water
Food To Be Avoided
- Avoid food such as coffee, alcohol
- Chocolates, spicy food, fatty food, and fried food. Avoid fermented foods
- Avoid garlic, ginger onion, tomato, vinegar in cooking
- Avoid taking too much salt in food
- In dairy products, curd should be avoided
- Avoid citrus foods like orange and lemon
Foods To Be Take
- Do not skip the meal especially breakfast because skip breakfast aggravates subdosha of pitta called sadhaka pitta
- Take light and fresh food
- Take stewed food, warm milk, etc
- Take healthy vegetables and vegetable juice
- Take more quantity of liquid diet (fresh vegetable soup, fresh coconut juice, etc)
- Take a potato, broccoli, cabbage, carrot cucumber, etc
- Take a fresh apple, watermelon, banana, etc
- Eat small meals frequently. Large meals may cause pressure on the stomach which increased the condition
- Consuming a few leaves of Tulsi provides prompt relief from acidity
- Food should be chewed properly
- Avoid anger, Rage, etc as anger is the major cause of aggravation of pitta dosha
- Avoid stress; tension, anxiety, etc. consult a psychologist to avoid the situation if severe
- Do regular exercise
- Avoid vigorous exercise although it can aggravate the symptoms
- Avoid tight cloth especially around the abdominal area it can worsen the heartburn and reflux
- Do some yoga pranayam, anulom velom etc
- Weight loss: weight loss is effective in reducing the severity of symptoms. As high BMI is the major risk factor for GERD
- Sleeping postures: in order to avoid acid reflex while laying condition use of wedge pillow may be beneficial
- Quit smoking as smoking increased production of gastric acid and reduced the function of lower gastroesophageal sphincter resulting in the sphincter muscles allow gastric content back to the esophagus. Smoking also decreased the amount of saliva which neutralized gastric acid
- Identifying the factors which trigger the condition and avoid that. Make a list of triggering factors that induced GERD and avoid that
- Avoid laying down at least two hrs after a meal and drinking acid beverages etc. this helps to prevent stomach content back to the esophagus
- Avoid bending forward to the waist because this will squeeze the stomach forcing food up to the esophagus