Stammering or stuttering is a speech disorder that is also by name of childhood onset fluency disorder which includes major and frequent problems with flow of speech and normal fluency. People who suffer from stammering know exactly what they want to say but cannot say it fluently and clearly in one go. Stammering makes people prolong a word, vowel or consonant sound or a syllable and may make them repeat the same word several times. They can also stop while speaking a sentence as they find it very difficult to speak a certain sound or word. Stammering can be seen normally in young children when they are learning to speak as their speaking and language abilities are not fully developed yet. However most of them outgrow this stammering problem as they grow and learn to speak correctly and fluently. But some children take this problem forward into adulthood and stammering becomes chronic and speech problems in them. In this article you can learn all about the stammering and herbal remedies to get it corrected naturally.
INTRODUCTION TO STAMMERING
Stammering is also known by the name diffluent speech which is a speech disorder. It is characterized by uneven rate of speech, repetition of same words, syllables or sounds too many times, and halting production of speech. Many children gets this stammering problem at some point of their childhood but most of them do not continue to stammer as they grow into adults. Stammering can leave a child with low self esteem and inability to interact with people confidently.
AYURVEDIC ASPECT OF STAMMERING
As per Ayurvedic concept the body is govern with balance of tridosha, i.e. Vata, Pitta and Kapha and any imbalance in any one or combination of them causes diseases. Stammering is known to cause vitiation of Vata dosha.
TYPES OF STAMMERING
Stammering can be classified into three types
- Developmental- This is very common and many children have this when they are younger than 5 years of age, however males are more affected. This types goes away as the child grows.
- Neurogenic- In this type there are abnormalities in the signal process between the brain and the nerves or maybe muscles sometimes.
- Psychogenic- This type of stammering emerges when the part of the brain that governs reasoning and thinking do not work properly.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF STAMMERING
Some symptoms are very common and known to people like evident repetition of sounds, words or syllables and also disruption is seen in normal speech rate. People with stammering have trouble in starting a sentence or speaking a certain word. Along with these signs there are some other as well which you may notice like:
- Physical changes like lip tremors, facial tics, frequent eye blinking and tense body language and facial expression
- Refuses to speak
- Jerking of head
- Fists clenching
- Frustrated when attempt to communicate
- Repetition of phrases or words
- Interjecting an extra word or sound like uh or um into the sentences
People who are suffering from chronic adulthood stammering usually stammer a lot in a high stress environment or social setting in comparison to when they are in a familiar environment or home.
CAUSES OF STAMMERING
There can be different causes for a person like:
- Genetics- Stammering can run in families. There can be several genes involved in such cases.
- Brain function- Development of the brains of people who stammer has been found to be different when seen in brain imaging as compared to people who do not stammer.
- Speech motor skills- The people who stammer are slightly slow in making speech related movements. This breaks the fluency.
- Environmental and situational factors- People who stammer are usually seen speaking normally when in familiar situations or people and stammer more when interacting with a group of people or are under any kind of stress or pressure.
- Language skills- When a person is not fluent in a language they want to converse in, stammering occurs as it becomes difficult to organize a word or sentence resulting in pauses and breaking of sentence.
DIAGNOSIS OF STAMMERING
Diagnosis is usually made by a speech-language pathologist, i.e. a health professional who is trained to diagnose the speech and language disorders in children and adults and treat them. They take a complete history, observe the patient thoroughly and closely, ask them questions about stammering and rule out any other causes of irregular speech like Tourette’s syndrome.
TREATMENT OF STAMMERING
Stammering can be treated differently as per the individual case, applying specific approaches as per the requirement of the case. Conventional methods do not cure the stammering but it can help in improving speech fluency, participating in social activities, school or work and developing and developing better communication. This can be attained by Speech therapy, electronic devices, Parent-child interactions and cognitive behavioral therapy.
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR STAMMERING
As there is seen vitiation of the doshas in stammering, hence the restoration of the balance of these dosha restores the health. This balance can be brought back by the use of certain herbs which possess natural qualities to treat such ailments.
HERBAL REMEDIES OF PLANET AYURVEDA FOR STAMMERING
Planet Ayurveda is a very popular name in the field of herbal remedies manufacturing. All the herbal remedies and products manufactured here are free from chemicals, additives, colors, fillers, dye, preservatives and yeast. For stammering Planet Ayurveda offers a combination of herbal remedies.
STAM CARE PACK
- Medhya churna
- Brahmi capsules
- Ashwagandha capsules
- Memory support
STAM CARE PACK
1. Medhya churna
Different medicinal herbs like Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Ajmoda (Carum roxburghianum), Vacha (Acorus calamus), Marich (Piper nigrum), Patha (Cissampelos pareira), Pippali (Piper longum), Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) etc are used in the formulation of Medhya churna. This herbal churna helps in boosting the functions of the brain, enhances concentrating quality and memory which eventually helps in treating stammering.
Dosage– 1/4 teaspoon once daily with 1 spoon of Cow Ghee (Clarified Butter).
2. Brahmi capsule
These herbal capsules are manufactured using standardized extract of single herb, i.e. Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri). Brahmi capsules contain many medicinal qualities that help in enhancing learning and memory, relieves stress and improves functioning of the brain.
Dosage– Take 2 capsules twice daily after meals with plain water.
3. Ashwagandha capsule
These are also single herb capsules, prepared using standardized extract of ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). Ashwagandha capsules improve overall health and brain functioning.
Dosage- Take 2 capsule twice daily after meals with plain water
4. Memory support
These are the poly herbal capsules that are prepared using different medicinal herbs like Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Vacha (Acorus calamus), and Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri). Memory support capsules help in enhancing memory, improving mental functions which eventually help in treating stammering.
Dosage– Take 2 capsules twice daily after meals with plain water
Planet Ayurveda’s herbal remedies can help in treating stammering naturally along with the speech therapy and other supportive treatment.