High Blood Pressure or Hypertension is one of the most common problems of the present times especially in industrialized countries. It increases the risk of many diseases of the cardiovascular system (hypertensive heart diseases), brain (cerebro-vascular strokes), kidneys (nephrosclerosis) and peripheral arteries. It is on the top list among the disorders which are causing morbidity and mortality.
Blood Pressure Readings:
|Normal Blood Pressure||120||80|
|Stage -2||160 or above||100 or above|
In Ayurveda, it can be understood by assessing the involved doshas, srotasas etc. It can be best understood mainly as a pathological condition of the Rakta dhatu and Vyana vata. In association with these, Prana Vayu, Sadhaka Pitta and Avalmabaka Kapha are also involved in the manifestation of essential hypertension.
What are the causes of High Blood Pressure?
- Stress and tension
- Insufficient sleep
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Excess alcohol consumption
- Hormonal disorders
- Kidney disease
- Excess consumption of salt in the diet
- Wrong eating habits like consuming non-vegetarian diet.
- Lemon juice is an ancient remedy for high blood pressure as it reduces the rigidity of the blood vessels. It also reduces fatty deposits in the coronary artery. It is a potent anti-oxidant which neutralises the free radicals in the body. It also prevents the inflammation and injuries to the blood vessels as inflammation of blood vessels is the major cause of atherosclerosis.
How to use
- Take a cup of warm water and add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and add 1 tablespoon of honey into it. Mix well and drink this mixture twice a day.
- Triphala Powder is a mixture of 3 wonderful herbs: Haritaki, Bahera and Amla mixed in equal proportion by weight. It is traditionally used for cardiovascular diseases and high blood pressure. If a patient has a problem of hardening of blood vessels, fatty deposits, then this remedy is effective in lowering blood pressure.
How to use
- Take 3 grams triphala powder and 5 grams sugar and mix it in 250 ml of water. Heat this water and leave it overnight in a glass container. Strain the liquid and discard the residues. Drink this water everyday on empty stomach.
- The increased intake of potassium rich foods can help in preventing as well as curing hypertension. Banana is rich in potassium content. So, regular intake of bananas helps in lowering blood pressure. It also helps in reducing the impacts of sodium in the body.
- The juice extracted from the inner banana stem can also be taken as it is traditionally used in India for high blood pressure. It is a great source of potassium as well as Vitamin B6.
Apple Cider Vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar has anti-hypertensive action so it helps in reducing high blood pressure.
How to use
- Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon of honey in a cup of warm water and drink this mixture before breakfast.
- Watermelon seeds are a good source of cucurbocitrin, which prevents narrowing of blood vessels and help in dilating the blood vessels and also improve blood flow to the various parts of the body. Secondly, water melon seeds improve the urine output and improve kidney functions.
How to use
- Take a ½ teaspoon of water melon seeds and crush them to make powder. Eat this powder twice a day.
- Garlic is now considered as a safe alternative to hypersensitive drugs. It reduces the elevated systolic blood pressure but it does not reduce blood pressure in individual with normal blood pressure. It further helps the patients with elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood. It is good to maintain healthy blood pressure due to stress.
How to use
- Take 2-3 garlic cloves and crush them to make juice. Take 6-10 drops of garlic juice in a cup of warm water, stir and drink this water twice a day.
- Honey has an effect on elevated systolic blood pressure. It lowers the oxidative stress on the kidneys which help in lowering the elevated systolic blood pressure.
How to use
- Take a cup of lukewarm water and add 2 tablespoons of honey, ½ tablespoon of ginger juice and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Drink this mixture empty stomach in the morning.
- Buttermilk contains more phospholipids than milk. It is also a good source of bioactive molecules that exhibit modulating effects on immunity, metabolism and cell signalling. It also helps in lowering cholesterol levels and blood pressure naturally. It also helps in pre-hypertensive and stage 1 of hypertension.
- How to use
- Drink a glass of buttermilk everyday with lunch.
- Coconut water has good qualities of potassium and magnesium. Therefore, it reduces the systolic pressure and also supports the functioning of cardiac muscles. Drink coconut water regularly once a day.
- Vitamin D is naturally found in sunlight, fortified milk, dairy products etc. Intake of foods rich in Vitamin D helps in reducing the blood pressure. Blood pressure is often elevated when there is reduced exposure to sunlight.
- Go full vegetarian: It is scientifically proven that vegetarian diet cuts of high blood pressure. Have more of vegetables, fruits, green tea, cardamom tea, tulsi tea, water melon, non-fat yogurt, pomegranate, bananas, almonds, drumstick, olive oil.
- Brisk walking for at least 30 minutes daily is recommended. Moderate intensity exercises such as jogging, cycling or swimming can also be done.
- It is also advised to release naturally manifested reflexes and urges by not forcibly controlling them like reflexes of hunger, thirst, sleep, defecation, urination etc.
- Intake of excessive cold or hot, dry or oily, stale and preserved and packaged foods should be avoided.
- Take less of sugar-sweetened foods and beverages.
- Fried food stuffs should be avoided.
- Practice pranayama for 5 minutes daily.
- Wake up before 6 A.M. in the morning and sleep at around 11 P.M.
Undergo oil massage at least once a week as it keeps stress and tensions at bay