What is Peripheral Artery Disease – Symptoms Causes And Ayurvedic Treatment
PAD i.e. Peripheral Artery Disease is Blood circulation related issue, Thus it is considered to be concerning. Ayurveda is a science that doesn’t just work on decreasing the symptoms but Depletes the cause (leading to the disease). Thus we will talk about the PAD as well as concerning points as well as the Ayurvedic Treatments that can be followed for treatment with all Ayurvedic aspect i.e. Nature.
INTRODUCTION TO PAD
PAD which is a short form to Peripheral Artery Disease. A Peripheral Artery Disease as the name suggests includes circulatory problems, where the arteries get constructed such that it affects the blood flow. Arteries are the blood vessels which Leading to lesser supply of blood to the limbs. Peripheral defines the limbs that are affected i.e. Upper & Lower Limbs where usually the legs are affected. The question is, how the blood vessels get thin or gets constricted? It is because of the Calcium deposition in the blood vessels termed as Atherosclerosis or Fat deposition.
AYURVEDIC ASPECT OF PAD
Uttana Vata Rakta is the Ayurvedic aspect for PAD. As the name suggests Uttana Vata Rakta, Pitta & Kapha gets Vitiated thus leads to Aavarna(Blocking) of Vata Dosha & thus affects rakta(Blood). Mainly due to Vata Pratibandh (blockage of movement) leading to Vatarakta & its complications. In Ayurvedic aspect Vatarakta is one among the 80 vata vitiated disorders such as Gouty Arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Cerebral Palsy & other Vata related Disorders. Major sites affected by Vatarakta includes Paada(feet), hastha(hands), sandhi(joints) & further because of sookshma(being precise, ability of piercing to the deep sites as well) of Vata Dosha it moves to all the little joints & affects deeply to the core.
1. Aharaja (Related to Diet & Food Habits) Cause
Ati Lavana (Salt), Katu(Pungent) , Amla(Sour), Kshar(Alkaline) , Snigdha(Unctuous), Ushna(Hot) i.e. Excessive intake of above mentioned Rasa (Taste) food items. Viruddh Aahar (Incompatible food items uptake), Adhyaashan (Excessive uptake of food items on regular basis)
- Excessive uptake of Oil-preparation cakes or radish , Horsegram, Blackgram, leafy vegetables, Nisha etc.
- Curd, Kanji, Sauvirya (Sour preparation of dehusked barley), Sukta (Vinegar), Alcoholic beverages etc.
(Reference – चरक संहिता चिकित्सा स्थान २९)
2. Viharaja (Realted to Day to Day Activities)
Cause- Krodha (Anger), Diwaswapna(Sleeping in Daytime regularly), Raatrijaagran(Awaking till midnight or late regularly), Mitha Aahar & Vihaar(Wrong choices of food & lifestyle practices), Sthoola & Sukha(Obese people & the one who lives luxurious life)
TYPES & SYMPTOMS : Types on the basis of location includes
1. UTTANA VATA RAKTA : Affects the superficial tissues which may include muscles as well as skin. Thus symptoms are related to Kushta (Skin diseases), Skin lesions & muscle pain.
2. GAMBHIR VATA RAKTA : Affects the deep tissues muscles, since the disease here is complicated because of circulation of Rakta in every part of the body. Thus symptoms can be related to Bone & Joint Pain or Systemic or till internal viscera.
Types on the basis of Vitiated Dosha includes
1. VATA PRADHAN VATA RAKTA
Vata Dosha gets vitiated leading to symptoms like Shoola(Pricking pain), Sheeta Asehnuta( Aggravation of symptoms in cold conditions), Black colour around the swelling ,etc.
2. PITTA PRADHAN VATA RAKTA
Pitta Dosha gets vitiated leading to symptoms like Daah(Burning Sensation), Ushnta(Hot on touch), trishna(Thirst),Rakta Varna (red coloured) swelling ,etc.
3. KAPHA PRADHAN VATA RAKTA
Kapha Dosha gets vitiated leading to symptoms like Shoonta(Numbness), Gurutva(Heaviness), Kledtava (Unctuous), Sheeta (Cold, on touch) ,etc.
4. RAKTA PRADHAN VATA RAKTA
Rakta Dosha gets vitiated leading to symptoms like Kandu(Itching sensation), Kamasya Varna (Copper coloured swelling), Shoola(Pain) ,etc.
- Leg pain(While walking)
- Cramps in Legs or Hips (Unilateral / Bilateral)
- Weak or No pulse in legs
- Change in colour of legs
- Cold, on touch in the lower extremities in comparison to other parts of the body, etc.
Factors that increase your risk of developing Pad are increased if person have
- Smoking or Tobacco consumption
- H/O any family member with PAD ,Stroke
- Age >55 years
DIAGNOSIS : Diagnosing PAD includes
- Ultrasound Scan(USG) : It gives a clear image of any blockage or plaque accumulation.
- Ankle-Brachial Index : It gives the idea of blockage by comparing the Blood Pressure of the Arm with the Blood Pressure of the Ankle.
- Angiography : It gives a clear image of each and every Artery to figure out the blocked one.
- Blood Tests : Blood tests are done to check the Lipid Profile, HDL, LDL etc.
- Computed Tomographic Angiography(CT Scan) :Non- invasive test which gives a clear image of the whole body done with 100-200 rays at a time.
- Magnetic Resonance Angiography(MRA Scan) : Non-invasive test with clear image of the whole body.
TREATMENT OF PAD
- Anti-Hypertensive Drugs– To maintain the Blood Pressure
- Statins– To lower the Cholesterol Levels to normal, which lowers the chances of more blockage.
In extreme conditions
Angioplasty – Surgical Invasion where Unblocking or Repair of blood vessels is done.
With regular intake of Anti-Hypertensive & Statin drugs many side effects accompany such as
- Nausea or Vomiting
- Skin rashes,
- Weight Gain or Loss,
- Unusual Pain or Cramps,
- Dark Urine,
- In extreme conditions Mental Confusion.
HERBAL REMEDIES BY PLANET AYURVEDA FOR PAD AKA UTTANA VATA RAKTA
Planet Ayurveda Holistic Healing through herbs provides 100% Classical Natural & Vegetarian products with strict adherence to Ancient Ayurveda. Each product is made with purest herbal extracts, enriched with the wisdom from ages and stringently tested for purity & consistency. Herbal supplements can be used to support various body systems & maintain our health. It is increasingly difficult to have a healthy diet thus Planet Ayurveda offers Supplements with NO SIDE-EFFECTS.
Ayurveda offers Herbs for Reduction of Pitta & Kapha dosha such as
- Vasa (Adhatoda vasica) AKA Malabar Nut. Acc. To Bhavaprakasha Nighantu, Guduchyadi Varga, Shloka 89-90, It is stated that because of Tikta(Bitter), Kashaya (Astringent) Rasa (Taste), Laghu (Light) & Rooksha (Dryness) guna (Quality). Thereby, Kapha & Pitta Dosha gets alleviated.
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) AKA Giloy.It has Kashaya (Astringent) & Tikta (Bitter) rasa (Taste) thus acts as a Doshatrayahara (Balances Tridosha-Vata, Pitta & Kapha)
- Eranda(Ricinus communis) AKA Castor.It has Madhur(Sweet), Katu(Pungent), Kashaya(Astringent) Rasa(Taste) thus acts as a Vata & Pitta Dosha-hara.
- Aragwadha(Cassia fistula) AKA Chatur Angula. It has Madhur (Sweet) Rasa (Taste) & Snigdhta (Unctuousness, Oiliness) thus acts as Kapha & Pitta-hara.
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) AKA Amla. It has PanchaRasa-Lavana Varjit i.e.Amla (Sour), Madhur (Sweet), Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter), Kshaya (Astringent) thus acts as Tridosha-hara (Allevates Vata, Pitta & Kapha).
1. Chandraprabha Vati
It composes of the following ingredients-
- Shilajit (Asphaltum)
- Guggul (Commiphora mukul)
- Karpoor (Cinnamomum camphora)
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Mustak (Cyperus rotundus)
- Haridra(Curcuma longa)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Chavya (Piper chaba)
- Vidanga (Embelia ribes)
- 10. Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Shunthi (Zingibera officinalis)
- Maricha (Piper nigrum)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Danti (Baliospermum montanum)
- Dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanicum)
- Tejpatta (Cinnamomum tamala)
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum)
- SarjiKakshara (Sodium Carbonate)
- Yavakshara(Potassium carbonate)
- Saindhav Lavana (Rock salt)
- Sauvarchala Lavana (Sodium sulphate)
- Vida (Black salt)
Relaxes the blood vessels by reducing the pressure on the walls of the blood vessels. It helps in reducing the exertion on the walls & effectively manages Blood Pressure as well.
Dosage : 1-2 Tablets Twice/Thrice Daily with Lukewarm water before Food
2. Gotukola Capsules
It is a single herb capsule which consists of Standardized extract of Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica). Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica) contains Folic acid which is beneficial in improving overall circulation of the body. Thus acts as Cardio-protective tonic.
Dosage : 1-2 Capsules Twice Daily with Lukewarm water after Food.
3. Ashwagandha Capsule
It is a single herb capsule which consists of Standardised Extract of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). It helps in improving the ability to deal with Stress related problems like High Blood Pressure. It helps in reducing the level of Cortisol (Stress Hormone produced with increased production in Adrenocorticotropic hormone[ACTH] as a result decreases the pressure on the walls of the arteries which in turn reduces the Blood Pressure to normal.
Dosage : 1-2 Capsules with Milk 2 hours After Food
4. Arjuna Capsule
It is a single herb capsule which consists of Standardised extract of Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna). It helps with the proper functioning of the Cardiovascular System by dilating the Arteries & decreasing the constant pressure on the walls. Leading to balance of Blood Pressure & Blood Flow.
Dosage : 1-2 Capsules Twice Daily with Lukewarm water after Food
5. Musli Strength Capsule
Musli Strength Capsule consists of Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris) & Safed (White) Musli (Chlorophytum borivilianum). Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris) AKA Gokhru, Puncture Vine is useful in treating any blood ailments. Safed Musli (Chlorophytum borivilianum) AKA Dholi/Shweta Moosli, Indian Spider Plant is explained as Rasayani (Rejuvenative), Rakta Shodhak (Blood purifier) that helps in maintaining the Blood flow.
Dosage : 1-2 capsules with Lukewarm water after Food
Contact my assistant to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or call at +91-172-5214030 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
Ayurvedic aspects that have been written many years ago, the manuscripts show the features of PAD as Uttana VataRakta. The treatment thus has no side effects and with treatment also helps in regaining the body’s strength.