The Klebsiella Species are the non motile bacilli, which are encapsulated and lactose fermenting and forms heterogeneous group of gram negative bacilli. They belong to the group of important urinary pathogens, especially get infected to the patients having long stay in hospitals. The acquisitions of these infections strains are often associated with urethral catheterization.
The superbug Klebsiella species are resistant to antibiotics, as they are characterized with plasmid – mediated properties. The species of Klebsiella usually affect the individuals with weakened immune system. It can affect any part of the human body. Usually its manifestation is multiple organs .
Commonly Affected Organs Are
- Respiratory system (pneumonia)
- Blood (septicemia or bacteremia)
- Heart (endocarditis)
- Skin (cellulitis)
- Urinary tract (UTIs)
Even though in weakened immune system, the infections are more likely to catch you, if you have health problems like
- Kidney failure
- Liver disease
- Lung diseases
Urinary tract infections (UTI) are one of the commonest among the infections affecting the human body. Most of the types of urinary tract infections are caused by bacteria, some by fungus and some rarely by virus. Your urinary tract includes the 2 kidneys, ureters, bladder & urethra. The infections can hit any part of the urinary system. If it affects the kidneys & ureter, it is the upper tract infection and if it hits the bladder and urethra, it is the lower tract urinary infection. Even though the upper tract infections are rare, when compared with lower tract infections, which are usually more severe.
The Symptoms of Urinary Tract Infections vary according to the site of infection. Lower tract urinary infections are usually presented with
- burning with urination
- increased frequency of urination without passing much urine
- increased urgency of urination
- bloody urine
- cloudy urine
- urine that looks like cola or tea
- urine that has a strong odor
- pelvic pain in women
- rectal pain in men
Upper urinary tract infections, which is potentially life threatening as it mainly affects your kidneys. If it moves to blood the kidneys, it is called as urosepsis and can end in the collapse of the patient due to shock and dangerously low blood pressure. It is usually presented with
- pain and tenderness in the upper back and sides
Factors Which Trigger Klebsiella Species of Bacteria Includes
- Hospitalization (particularly admission in an Intensive Care Unit)
- Use of contaminated medical equipments
- Use of contaminated intravenous catheters/urinary catheters
- Use of antibiotics over a long period of time
- Inadequate infection control practices
- Major surgery or severe illness
- Immune compromised health conditions (for e.g. diabetes, alcoholism)
- Antimicrobial therapy
- Direct person-to-person contact (for e.g. when a wound is touched by someone with contaminated hands).
Symptoms of Klebsiella Species UTI
The symptoms of this kind urinary tract infection vary according to the site of infection and individuals. But it usually resembles with other urinary infections caused by other microbes. They include
- Frequent urination
- Burning sensation during urination
- Strong smell in urine
- Urine of red or light pink color
- Colicky abdominal pain
- Low back pain
- High fever
- Flu-like symptoms
- Breathing problems/Shortness of breath
- Cough (with bloody, yellow, or green mucous)
- Changes in mental state.
Herbal Remedies for Klebsiella Species Bacteria – UTI
In Ayurveda, urinary tract infections are considered to as the vitiation of tridosha – vata, pitta & kapha, with a predominance of pitta dosha. The treatment protocol is to bring the balance of tridosha and to eliminate out the bacteria with potential diuretics.
Planet Ayurveda offers some Excellent Remedies – UTI Care Pack – which can efficiently work against Klebsiella species UTI. It helps to relieve the symptoms and to wash out the bacteria. It is guaranteed to be free from side effects, as they are manufactured with no added preservatives, additives or any other chemicals. The formulations of UTI Care Pack includes
- Punarnava capsules
- Mutrakrichantak Churna
- Varunadi Vati
- Boerhavia Diffusa – these capsules are very effective in pain relief. It is widely used for its diuretic and anti inflammatory properties. It is very well known for its revitalizing the lives and also helps in cleansing the blood. This is also good for kidney health. It also has antimicrobial property.
Dosage – 1 capsule, twice daily after meals with lukewarm water.
- It is the classic remedy for balancing aggravated vata and pitta. Varunadi Vati helps to reduce the symptoms of kidney diseases like painful urination, urinary retention, & infections. This tablet preparation contains Varuna, Punarnava, Gokshura and purified Guggulu, as the main ingredients. Varuna balances tridoshas and it has anti toxic, antioxidant, anti microbial and diuretic properties. It is a great pain reliever.
- Punarnava is blessed with the best anti inflammatory properties. It also helps in reducing the pain and redness. Gokshura is an eminent aphrodisiac and is the best herbal remedy for uro genital problems.
Dosage – 2 tablets, twice daily with lukewarm water after meals.
- Mutra – kriccha – antak, – as the name indicates, this powder is the destroyer of difficulty in urination. It is a relatively safe medicine and been used around the globe from ancient periods. Mutrakrichantak Churna is a complete medicine for almost all kidney concerns.
- The synergism of herbal drugs of Mutrakrichantak Churna makes it potent enough to have its effect on Mutravaha srotas. Undoubtedly all of them are diuretics, which enhance your urine input, thereby reducing the levels of uric acid or creatinine and wash out bacteria from the urinary tract.
- The natural anti oxidants will prevent the renal failure and they also provide essential nutrients for the kidney’s health. The combined work of the drugs will also help in prostate enlargement and they are anti allergent too.
Diet Chart for UTI Patients:
- Limit caffeine, artificial sweeteners & alcohol.
- Limit the intake of acidic fruits. Try to avoid lemons, oranges, grapefruits, and tomatoes.
- Avoid spicy foods. Spicy foods irritates your bladder, worsening the symptoms of UTI.
- Stay hydrated always. Have plenty of water.
- Stay nutritious and have healthy diet to boost your immune system.