Primary Hyperaldosteronism/Conn’s syndrome is also known as Primary aldosteronism. It is a hormonal disorder occurs when the adrenal gland produces an excess of aldosterone. It leads to an increase in blood pressure. As many as 12% of patients with hypertension have the specific laboratory constellation of Conn’s syndrome.
Causes of Primary Hyperaldosteronism (Conn’s Syndrome)
- It may be due to genetic factors in some cases and leads to high blood pressure (hypertension) in children and adults.
- The common cause of this disease is due to excessive aldosterone production which can be due to the Non-malignant growth in an adrenal gland and overactivity of the adrenal glands.
- Rarely it occurs due to cancer or tumor growth in the adrenal gland.
Risk Factors of Primary Hyperaldosteronism (Conn’s Syndrome)
- High blood pressure begins at age 44 or less
- People of 45 age or older
- Family history of hypertension
- Excessive weight
- A sedentary lifestyle and lack of physical activities
- Tobacco use
- Excessive intake of alcohol
- Unhealthy and imbalanced diet (excessive salt intake, inadequate potassium intake)
The Complications of Primary Hyperaldosteronism (Conn’s Syndrome)
It may lead to hypertension (high blood pressure) and hypokalemia(low potassium levels).
- Complications Associated with High Blood Pressure
- Heart attack and Heart failure
- Left ventricular
- Heart Stroke
- Kidney disease or kidney failure
- Complications Associated with Low Potassium Levels
- Muscle cramps
- Cardiac arrhythmias
Ayurvedic Treatment for Primary Hyperaldosteronism (Conn’s Syndrome)
According to Ayurveda Primary hyperaldosteronism/Conn’s caused by the imbalance of tridoshas i.e. Vata, Pitta and Kapha. So, Ayurveda provides effective herbs for this which makes the balance in the vitiated tridoshas. These herbs are very good to reduce the raised blood pressure level.
Some Effective Herbs for Primary Hyperaldosteronism (Conn’s Syndrome)
- Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna): It possesses the cardiovascular properties and strengthens the heart muscles (2) It reduces the LDL cholesterol and improves the HDL cholesterol.
- Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa): It acts as a heart tonic (3). This herb has rejuvenating properties and promotes good heart health. It gives relaxation to the heart muscles.
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri): It possesses, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, cardiotonic, and anticonvulsant, bronchodilator property (4)
- Amla (Emblica Officinalis): This herb is full of medicinal properties including antipyretic, analgesic, antiatherogenic, antitussive, cardioprotective, adaptogenic, antihypercholesterolemic, wound healing, and antiatherosclerotic properties(5).
Herbal Products for Primary Hyperaldosteronism (Conn’s Syndrome) by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda provides the best herbal remedies for Primary Hyperaldosteronis (Conn’s Syndrome). These herbal medicines consist of the best quality herbs under the supervision of Ayurvedic practitioners. These are natural, free from chemicals and preservatives. These also do not produce side effects.
- Arjuna Capsules
- Brahmi Capsules
- Navkarshik Churna
- Kachnaar Guggul
Arjuna is an amazing herbal remedy provided by PLANET AYURVEDA for the Primary hyperaldosteronism. This herbal tea is prepared by the combination of herbs which support the good health of cardiovascular system such as Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna), Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Pipal tvak (Ficus religiosa), Dalchini (Cinnamon Tamala), Choti elaichi (Elettaria cardamom). These herbs are rich in antioxidants which help to maintain the healthy blood pressure, cholesterol levels in the body. Arjuna and Punarnava improve the functioning of the heart in many ways. Pipl tvak strengthens the heart muscles. Dalchini also makes muscles strong and reduces the cholesterol level. Choti elaichi lowers the raised blood pressure and helps to maintain the supply of the blood.
How to use?
- Put 1 cup of milk and water in a pan.
- Add 1 teaspoon of Arjun tea and then mix it properly by stirring.
- Boil this mixture over low heat till it reduces to 1 cup.
- Filter the tea and drink.
- You can add sweetener if needed but better to drink without sugar.
2. Arjuna Capsules
These capsules consist of a pure extract of Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna). This effective herbal formulation is used to control heart problems such as atherosclerosis, congestive heart failure, myocardial infarction, etc. This herb strengthens the heart muscles and clears the blockage in the arteries, increases the HDL cholesterol and decreases the LDL cholesterol.
Dosage: 1-2 capsule two times a day with plain water post meal.
3. Brahmi Capsules
Brahmi capsules are made using standardized extracts of the Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) herb. This herb has calming, rejuvenating and antioxidant properties. It improves blood circulation throughout the body and maintains healthy blood pressure. These capsules improve the nervous and cardiovascular system. Thus it is a powerful Ayurvedic remedy for primary hyperaldosteronism.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules two times a day, with plain water, post-meal.
4. Navkarshik Churna
Navkarshik churna consist of many effective herbs including Amla (Emblica officinalis), Vacha (Acorus calamus), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Katuki (Picrorrhiza kurrao), Manjishta (Rubia cordifolia), Giloy (Tinopsora cordifolia), Daruhaldi (Berberis aristata) and Bahera (Terminalia bellerica). These herbs help in the purification of the blood. It possesses anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. This formulation maintains a healthy level of cholesterol and blood pressure in the body. It helps to manage the symptoms such as tiredness, weakness associated with Conn syndrome/hyperaldosteronism.
Dosage: 5 grams to 15 grams of churna two times daily with lukewarm water.
5. Kanchnaar Guggul
The very effective herbs are used to prepare this formulation such as Kachnaar bark (Bauhinia variegata),Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica), Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), Marich (Piper nigrum), Pippali (Piper longum), Varuna (Crataeva religiosa). These herbs balance the Tridoshas ie Vata, Pitta and Kapha in the body. The imbalance of these doshas is the main cause of Conn syndrome / primary hyperaldosteronism. It helps to increase the blood supply and remove harmful toxins from the blood. So, these tablets are useful in the treatment of Conn syndrome/hyperaldosteronism.
Dosage: 1-2 tablets twice or thrice a day with lukewarm water post-meal.