Diabetes is one of the most common health conditions faced by millions of people across the world.
Managing diabetes is tough but it is not impossible. Diabetes is a condition that hinders the body’s ability to respond to insulin which leads to the abnormal metabolism of carbohydrates leading to spiked blood sugar level. There is abnormally high levels of blood sugar level in diabetes.
What are the causes of Diabetes Mellitus?
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Unhealthy eating habits such as excessive intake of refined carbohydrates and sugar
- Excessive tension, stress and grief
Concept of Diabetes according to Ayurveda:
- Diabetes is known as “Madhumeha” in Ayurveda. It arises due to aggravation of obstruction of channels through blockage by Kapha dosha and fatty tissue and aggravation of Vata dosha which causes tissue depletion.
- Diabetes is considered as a lifestyle disease. Since a long time, Ayurveda has been emphasizing on the importance of diet and lifestyle in the maintenance of health, according to which a healthy man is referred as: “one who indulges daily in healthy diet and lifestyle activities, who discriminates between wholesome and unwholesome and acts accordingly.
- It is also said in Ayurveda that in both health and disease, the wholesomeness and the unwholesomeness is a prime factor to be thought about, as without proper diet, the use of any drug is futile.
What are the symptoms of Diabetes?
- Constant feeling of hunger and thirst
- Frequent urination
- Blurred vision
- Slow healing of wounds
- Bad body odour
- Sweet taste in the mouth
- Quick exhaustion
- Possible anemia
There are some specific fruits that have been shown to produce effects on blood glucose level as these fruits have low glycemic index and high amount of fiber.
There is a lot of confusion while selecting fruits for a diabetic patient but moderation is the key here.
- Fruits which are seasonal, fresh and low in glycemic index should be consumed by a diabetic patient.
- Fruits should be enjoyed as a snack and not be eaten with main meals.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on fruits which is very useful in balancing blood sugar levels.
10 Fruits that Diabetes Patients should eat in daily lifestyle:
There is a false assumption that people suffering from diabetes should avoid fruits because there sugar present in fruits could push up their blood sugar level. But this is a false conception because sugar present in fruits is usually in the form of fructose and unlike other sugars such as sucrose, fructose has low glycemic index.
Less insulin is needed for the metabolism of fructose. Therefore, intake of fruits is not associated with sudden rise of the blood sugar level.
- Apples can be eaten by diabetic patients because apples are a rich source of Vitamin C, fiber and several anti-oxidants. The fiber present in apples helps in stabilizing blood sugar levels.
They are the rich source of polyphenols as well.
- The polyphenols present in apples slow down the digestion of carbohydrates and thus lower the blood sugar levels.
- Apples also contain pectin which is a form of carbohydrate which helps in controlling blood sugar level by releasing it slowly into the bloodstream.
2. Pomegranate (Punica gratum)
- Pomegranates contain the richest combinations of anti-oxidants. Therefore, they can protect the body from free radicals.
They are a rich source of phytochemical compounds as well.
3.Guava (Psidium guajava):
- Guava is very rich in dietary fiber and it has low glycemic index as well.
- Therefore, eating guava reduces the sugar absorption in the blood.
- It is also rich in dietary fiber which helps to ease constipation as well.
- Eating guava lowers the chances of developing Type 2 diabetes.
- It also contains potassium which helps in regulating blood pressure.
4.Watermelon (Citrullus lanatus):
- Watermelon is rich in potassium. The high potassium content in watermelon makes it one of the best fruits for proper kidney functioning which helps in lowering the blood uric acid levels.
- Therefore, it helps in preventing kidney damage in diabetic patients.
- Moreover, lycopene present in watermelon helps in reducing the nerve damage in diabetic patients.
5. Papaya (Carica papaya):
- Papaya is a rich source of natural anti-oxidants so this fruit should be consumed by diabetic patients.
- The anti-oxidants present in Papaya prevent the cell damage because it contains essential minerals and nutrients.
- Diabetic patients are prone to many ailments including nerve damage caused due to irregular blood sugar levels.
- Papaya is useful in obstructing future cell damage and a longer life span.
6.Oranges (Citrus sinensis):
- Oranges are a rich source of flavonones, flavonols and phenolic acid.
- It has tremendous protective potential especially for the patients suffering with diabetes.
7.Jamun (Eugenia jambolana):
- This fruit is regarded as a specific ayurvedic medicine because of its specific action on the pancreas.
- The fruits, seeds and the whole fruit are useful in the treatment of diabetes. Due to the presence of compound known as jamboline in the seeds, it is used as a medicine in the treatment of diabetes.
- This fruit has the ability to convert starch into sugar and has hypoglycemic effect that helps to reduce blood sugar levels.
8.Bael (Aegle marmelos):
- Bael fruit is very famous due to its various medicinal properties but the leaves of this tree are scientifically proven to anti-diabetic.
- Drink freshly prepared juice of its leaves along with the pinch of black pepper. This juice is very effective in controlling blood sugar.
9.Strawberries (Fragaria ananassa):
- Strawberries have low glycemic index so they are very beneficial for patients suffering with diabetes.
- The sugar present in strawberries is slowly released in the blood stream as glucose.
- Intake of strawberries also increase metabolism which helps in weight loss also.
- Cherries are considered as the rich source of anthocyanins which is responsible for its bright red colour and cherries are the rich sources of enzymes as well.
- This red colour helps to protect the heart.
- The enzymes present in cherries are known to boost insulin levels that helps to control blood sugar levels.
- What is the role of diet and lifestyle change in diabetic patients?
- Can diabetic patient take fruits?
- What type of sugar is found in fruits?
- Why apples are considered good for diabetic patients?