Psoriasis is a papulosquamous disorder occurs due to the altered kinetics. It is a chronic, non-infectious and recurrent inflammatory disease which affects 1-2% of the world population. The skin affected by psoriasis is characterised by well-defined erythematous sharply demarcated papules as well as rounded plaques covered by silvery micaceous scales variably pruritic and typical extensor distribution. Although Psoriasis is not a life-threatening disorder but it threatens the lifestyle of the sufferer. Modern medicine rely on Cyclosporin-A, Coaltar, Retinoids, Methotrexate, Corticosteroids, PUVA(Psoralen and Ultraviolet A therapy), Vitamin D but some of these drugs are unsafe and known for their side effects.
- 7th chapter of Charak Chikitsa Sthana deals with Kushta Chikitsa. It deals with causes, types, treatment and symptoms of various skin diseases. In Ayurveda, variety of skin disorders have been documented under Kushtha, which is further being characterised into—Maha and Kshudra kushtha. Psoriasis may be compared with Manadal Kushtha appropriately due to its diffused area and difficulty to treat in nature. Ayurvedic treatment includes the use of herbs like—Neem, Guduchi, Vasa, Cow’s ghee, Patol, Vyaghri in treating the disease which are completely safe without having any side effects.
- According to Ayurveda, all the three doshas mainly Vata and Kapha are vitiated and they further vitiate skin, blood, lymph or plasma part of blood tissue and there is a manifestation of skin lesions in various parts of the body.
Line of Ayurvedic treatment includes oral administration of medicated ghee, Vamana(Emesis- purgation can also be carried according to the condition) and various single drugs which are quite beneficial in psoriasis are-
- Neem(Azadirachta indica)
- Khadira(Acacia catechu
- Sariva(Hemidesmus indicus)
- Manjishtha(Rubia cordifolia)
- Chandana(Santalum alba)
- Raktachandana(Pterocarpus santalinus)
- Guduchi(Tinospora cordifolia)
- Patola(Trichosanthes dioica)
- Yashtimadhu(Glycrrhiza glabra)
- Haridra(Curcuma longa)
- Daruharidra(Berberis aristata)
- Indian gooseberry
- Kutaja(Holarrhena antidysentrica)
- Patient suffering from Psoriasis dominated by Vata is administered with medicated ghee internally.
- Patient suffering from Psoriasis dominated by Pitta imbalance is given Virechan therapy.
- Patient suffering from Psoriasis with more vitiated doshas is given Shodhana therapies for several times with lot of care.
What are the causative factors of Psoriasis according to Ayurveda?
- Prolonged intake of aquatic animals
- Intake of Pippali(Long pepper) with curd
- Intake of radish with jaggery
- Excess intake of radish
- Excess intake of garlic
- Excess intake of green leafy vegetables along with milk
- Repeated and excess intake of food intake irrespective of hunger
- Unwholesome food
- Intake of barley, millets and grains along with milk
- Excess intake of sour and salty food together
- Food poisoning
- Suppression of vomiting etc.
What are the symptoms of Psoriasis?
- Plaques of red skin often covered with loose, silver – coloured scales. Lesions may be itchy or painful and sometimes crack and bleed.
- Discolouration and pitting of nails
- Crust on the scalp
- Simple herbs like– neem is very useful in skin conditions like- eczema and psoriasis.
- Taking 20-30 ml of bottlegourd juice twice daily provides relief in skin diseases.
- Taking Aloe vera juice helps in providing relief in variety of skin conditions. It helps to cool down the system and cleanses the system and hence helps in getting rid of toxins. Applying Aloe vera gel on area affected with psoriasis also provides relief in itching. It is one of the most simple home remedy for psoriasis.
- Seawater helps in relieving itching and pain due to psoriasis. Bathing or swimming in sea water is quite beneficial.
- Avoid acidic diet like– fried food, junk food, frozen food and alkaline diet must be followed as it is caused due to the imbalance of fire energy and acidic diet increases the fire levels in the body thus worsening the condition.
- Massaging the affected part with olive oil and calendula oil is recommended. This is a wonderful treatment for psoriasis.
- Applying mudpacks on the psoriasis patches can provide relief from pain and swelling. It is one of the simple remedies for psoriasis.
- Applying cashew nuts oil is an effective natural treatment for psoriasis.
- Applying fresh cabbage leaves is one of the natural remedies of psoriasis.
- Drinking cocunut water regularly provides relief from psoriasis.
Diet– Red rice, green gram, easily digestible food, bitter and astringent food, warm water must be included in the diet. Alcohol, garlic, fish, incompatible food stuff like- fish with milk, spicy food, stress, fear must be avoided.
- Thus, Ayurveda provides promising treatment for the disease. In addition to general therapy following a proper regimen and elimination of harmful factors from the patient’s working and living condition play a very important role in the treatment of psoriasis. The treatment purifies the entire system and helps in establishing the metabolism in patients.