Health Benefits of Pistachio Nuts You Should Know
Pistachios (roasted without salt) are one of the most nutritious nuts, low calorie, oldest edible nuts, healthy for heart and the entire body as they improve blood, brain and skin health. Pistachio nuts belong to the Anacardiaceae family. A tree (Pisracia vera tree) takes almost 10 years to produce its first crop. Pistachios are seeds of the tree.
Is Pistachios Are Good For You?
Pistachios are loaded with nutrients like carbohydrates, proteins, antioxidants, amino acids, fats and dietary fiber. They are rich in minerals like phosphorous, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, copper and sodium. Pistachio provides essential vitamins like Vitamin A, C, E and K along with folate, riboflavin, niacin, thiamin and pantothenic acid.
What are the Health Benefits of Pistachios?
Improve Heart Health
- Pistachios are one of the most Vitamin B6 rich foods, which is important for formation of hemoglobin and blood sugar regulation. Getting Vitamin B6 in diet helps to improve cardiovascular health. Pistachios can lower bad cholesterol and cut the risk of coronary heart disease.
- They lower the levels of lipids and lipoproteins which are the risk factors for heart disease. The omega 3 fatty acids present in serving of pistachios can help lower blood pressure and protect against abnormal heart beat.
- The high amount of Vitamin B6 also helps in building amino acids essential in transmitting nerve impulses and thus helps in maintaining a healthy nervous system.
- Pistachios are a great source of amino acid L arginine which is converted to nitric oxide in the body. Nitric oxide plays an important role in vasodilation (widening or dilating of blood vessels). Thus, these nuts enhance the blood flow and manage the blood pressure naturally.
- Proper blood flow is needed for body functions like erectile function. Along with this, Pistachios act as an aphrodisiac and is found to improve sex drive in men and boost fertility.
Source of Vitamin E
- Pistachios are amazing source of Vitamin E which is needed to prevent age related cognitive decline.
- Pistachios are able to stimulate brain frequencies better than other nuts.
- Thus, they help to enhance learning and information retention.
- The oil from the pistachio nut is useful in fighting brain
- Inflammation and preserving the essential fatty acids in the brain. The vitamin E in pistachios protects the skin from the damage caused by Ultra violet rays and delays the signs of premature aging.
Weight loss Management
- Pistachios are very helpful with weight management as they are low in calories, high in proteins.
- They have low saturated fats and high unsaturated fats which is needed for weight management. The fiber in them helps to keep one full for longer periods.
- Consuming pistachios can keep inches off the waist over time.
- Pistachios have beneficial effects on triglycerides too.
- The fat content in them is not fully absorbed by the body.
- They are the healthiest nuts to be used as a snack in order to lose weight.
- Eating in shell pistachios also leads to mindful eating as one needs to slowly remove the shell and eat the nuts.
Enhance Gut Health
- Pistachios promotes healthy gut bacteria as they are high in fiber.
- They help in smooth digestion of the food and prevents constipation.
- Consuming pistachios increases the number of butyrate producing bacteria in the gut.
- Feeding the good bacteria helps them multiply and crowd out the harmful bacteria.
- The fiber in pistachios is digested by the food bacteria in the stomach which then ferments this fiber and produce short chain fatty acids. This helps in reducing risk of developing digestive disorders, colon cancers and heart diseases.
Helpful in Diabetes
- Pistachios are known to increase the levels of peptide 1 hormone that regulates glucose levels in diabetes. The nuts have positive effects on glycemic control, blood pressure, inflammation and obesity in diabetic patients. Intake of pistachios lowers the glucose and insulin levels. They have low glycemic index which means they do not cause a large spike in the blood sugar.
Improve Vision Health
- Pistachios are a rich source of antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin which are essential for healthy eyes. These antioxidants are found in human retina and taking care of eyes and prevents vision issues.
- Consuming Pistachios regularly reduces the chances of age-related Macular Degeneration and cataracts. They also protect the eyes against damage caused by blue light. Pistachios also contain zinc which is a vital nutrient for healthy eyes.
- The zinc and Vitamin B6 in Pistachios also boost the immunity and protects the body against various infections.
Pistachios Combat Inflammation
- Pistachios combat inflammation as they are rich in monounsaturated fats and proteins which helps in fighting inflammation for Arthritis patients and also builds strength.
- The presence of Vitamin A, E and anti-inflammatory properties in pistachios helps in reducing inflammation in any part of the body.
Increase Estrogen Levels
- Pistachios are very helpful for females as they contain the highest number of phytoestrogens. They can increase the estrogen levels leading to regulated menstrual cycles.
- They are also good source of nutrition during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Fight Premature Aging
- These nuts are very useful for skin and hair. The copper in Pistachios aids the production of elastin which treats sagging skin and prevents the formation of wrinkles.
- The nuts also help in eliminating dryness from the skin. The saturated fats in these nuts acts as a good carrier or base oil for massage therapies and aromatherapies.
- The high copper content in Pistachios helps in the higher iron absorption in the body from various food sources. Thus, the intake of these nuts helps prevent conditions like anemia.
- Pistachios have high ratio of essential amino acids, the building blocks of protein making it exceptionally beneficial for vegetarians.
How to Eat
- Pistachios are very popular in ice creams and desserts. They are prized high for their unique, slightly sweet flavor. They can be eaten as a snack or on top of a salad and mixed in baked goods for additional flavor.
- These are delicious, versatile and fun to eat nuts. Pistachios in diet are a great way to improve overall health. It is important to stick to plain, unsalted pistachio nuts in their shells and avoid eating more than one ounce a day. Pistachios must be stored in airtight containers in cool and dry places to last longer.