Natural Ways to Prevent Diabetes – Healthy and Balanced Diet for Diabetics
There are many natural ways to prevent getting diabetes, you need to be a little alert in selecting the food you are having routinely. It doesn’t matter if you have type 1 or type 2 kind of diabetes, you might gain, lose or maintain your weight, but it becomes most important to choose a healthy food and not the usual crap. If you take healthier food, than you lower the risk of getting diabetic. But every one doesn’t agree as each person has a unique taste and liking and disliking, one food might be good for one and bad for another. Today we are going to discuss general foods that can help in preventing diabetes. So choose a diet after consulting your doctor, only then you can save yourself from getting diabetic.
Natural Ways to Prevent Diabetes
Select Healthy Carbohydrates:
- All carbs influence the glucose level of the body. Select the foods that have healthy carbs. Some of the foods that can join you in general are whole grains like brown rice, white oats and buckwheat. Fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables, pulses like beans, lentils and chick peas, dairy products like unsweetened yogurt and milk.
- Also keep another thing in your mind, to some diets that should be avoided like the foods that have low fiber in them like white bread, white rice and highly processed cereals. If you still feel perplexed while choosing, look at their labels before you buy them, check the ingredients, foods with fiber are in and avoid all other foods that have low fiber content.
Eat Less Salt:
- When you consume lots of salt, you run the risk of getting high blood pressure, which enhances the chances of getting heart disease and a stroke, might prove fatal for you. If you already are suffering from diabetes then you are more at risk of having a stroke.
- Set a limit, not exceeding 6g (1 teaspoonful) a day. Mostly the food packages have their labels on them, better do the checking before you buy it. If you are cooking yourself, you can have a keen eye on how much salt are you putting in your dishes? You can also become creative by adding different herbs and swap salt with something that enhances the flavor of your dishes.
Avoid Meat products:
- If you are having non-vegetarian food or you are habitual to, you have to set a limit or quit it completely as all kind of meat is related to cancer in one way or the other. Try swapping the meat with pulses like beans and lentils, which are rich in having fiber and don’t affect your blood glucose level too much and keeps your stomach in a hunky dory position. Try eating the herbs that have omega-3 fatty acids that protect your heart. Get vegetarian diet, it will also keep you fit & fine.
Eat more Fruits and Veggies:
- Enhance your diet by eating more green veggies and fruits which can be eaten as snacks, whenever you feel hungry. This will get you more vitamins, minerals and fiber that is required by your body to stay fit & fine.
- Fruits are sweet but contain natural sugar which is never harmful.
- The whole fruit is great for everyone, even if you have diabetes.
- As their juices do contain some added sugar, so better eat the fruit in its raw form.
- Keep eating fruits all day long, don’t eat them in excess in one go.
- It will keep your body satisfied and in a enthusiastic manner.
- If you are already diabetic, choosing a diet gets tough that will help in keeping your diabetes in control.
- However it is more important to eat foods that don’t allow diabetes to raise its ugly head.
- Here are some of the foods that help in keeping your diabetes in check, type 1 or type 2, doesn’t matter.
Choose healthy Fats:
- Everybody needs some fat to provide energy to the body to do any physical activity, but there are bad fats too that harm the body in different types.
- Healthier fats can be found in foods like unsalted nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil, grape seed oil and sunflower oil.
- Some of the saturated fats can enhance the amount of cholesterol level in your blood; and cause the risk of some heart problems.
Such fats can be found in animal products like:
- Red & processed meat
- Biscuits, cakes, and pastries.
- It’s a wonderful idea if you never use any oil in your cooking, try grill, steam or baked different foods. Try this idea at least once, if like it tell others and let’s make this world a better place to live & enjoy.
- I know cutting sugar is an uphill task initially, so some needs to be done when cutting the sugar intake as ‘longest journeys begin with a single step.’ You can try some sugar free sweeteners that are available in the market, but keep their number getting gradually less.
- Tea and coffee without sugar also tastes the same. When you quit sugar, you can take care of your blood sugar levels in a perfect manner and help manage your weight too. If your dietary treatment requires these sweeteners to maintain your hypos, have a discussion with your doctor before leaving these sweeteners.
- Alcohol has lots of calories and is too dangerous if you already have diabetes quit all the things that have a tinge of alcohol in them. If you are habitual and find difficulty in giving up, try leaving it with getting actively involved in doing something else, play a game or get involved in any activity you love, just remain busy.
- I know initially you might get tense, but give a break into your company of old friends, the binge drinkers, but think positive and a strong will power will give you lots of benefits in the long run, you will have more fun and your economic blues will also wither away and you can have lots of fun, thus making your family have more fun with you.
- Alcohol can make hypos to happen regularly. So better say no when anybody asks you to give him/her company, which should be heard by everybody around you, in a loud & clear way.
- You ought to follow the above mentioned natural and organic foods (fruits & veggies) to prevent, if already exist, then ways on how to control it in a natural way. But it will be much better if you take the advice of your doctor before proceeding.