Herbal Remedies for Colon Polyp
A colon polyp is a small clump of cells that forms on the lining of the colon (large intestines) or rectum. This polyp is an abnormal growth of the tissue which is projecting from mucous membrane. It is attached to the surface by a narrow stalk which is pedunculated. Polyps are usually found in the colon, stomach, urinary bladder and uterus. Some of the polyps are neoplasms and others are non neoplastic. Most of the polyps are small and less than half an inch wide are small, flat bumps with mushroom like stalks. Usually large intestines include the colon, rectum and anus. It is a long tube that continues from small intestines through the digestive system. It is known as a large bowel where food waste is formed into poop, stored and finally excreted. It is six inches long, known as cecum. There are 3 segments- The ascending colon (travelling up), The transverse colon (travelling to left), The descending colon (travelling down) and the sigmoid colon (headed back across to right). It is located in the lower abdominal cavity from waist down. It surrounds the small intestines in square question mark with the tail ending at the anal canal. There are separate layers of circular muscles and longitudinal muscles which allow the intestines to provide blood supply, nerve endings and allow glands to absorb. Many functional disorders affect the large intestines and it includes- Diverticulitis, proctitis, rectal ulcers, haemorrhoids, colorectal cancer and polyp. In this article We are going to discuss in detail about its causes, symptoms and its ayurvedic management.
A colon polyp is a growth on the inner lining of the colon and has a variety of shapes and is flat, slightly raised (sessile) and on a stalk (pedunculated). They can be benign (hyperplastic polyp) and malignant (adenocarcinoma), it usually includes blood in the stools, pain, diarrhoea and nausea/vomiting. Anyone at any age can develop polyp, at age of 50 or older than this is at higher risk of developing polyp. It can grow on any part of the colon, mostly growing on the left side of the colon and in rectum. Not all polyps turn out to be cancerous; it takes a long time to become cancerous. Hereditary syndromes causing increased colorectal polyp which includes- Familial adenomatous polyposis which usually involves APC gene located on the chromosomes q521. Hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer is also a hereditary colorectal cancer which is linked to the increased risk of cancer which is associated with dysfunction of the DNA repair mechanism. Peutz Jeghers syndrome- Is an autosomal dominant syndrome where there is disorganised growth of tissues of intestinal tract and there is hyperpigmentation of the interlining of mouth, lips and fingers. Juvenile Polyposis syndrome- Is autosomal dominant syndrome where there is increased risk of cancer of intestinal tract and obstruction of tract with low serum and low albumin.
- Mainly the colon is 5 feet long.
- Colon transit time is about 12-48 hours
- The frequency of bowel movement varies
- Over 100 trillion microbes live in your colon
- The colon is never empty
- The rectum is usually empty
- The colon absorbs 1 quart of water a day
- Meals can trigger the bowel movements
- Healthy stools are not always brown
- A person can live without a colon
Polyp grows usually in two different shapes
- Flat (sessile) are more common and is harder to detect in colon cancer and lie flat against the surface of the lining of colon also known as mucous membrane
- Stalks (pedunculated) are mushroom-like growth which attach to the surface of the colon’s mucus membrane by a long, thin stalk.
There are a large majority of polyp which are not cancerous, removal of this polyp during colonoscopy reduces the risk of developing colon cancer.
The most common type of cancer are
- Adenomatous (tubular adenoma)- It is the most common type of polyp, 70% of the polyps are adenomatous.
- Hyperplastic- It is a serrated polyp, small and low risk for turning into cancerous. They are the most common type of polyp.
- Serrated- Depending upon the size and location this may become cancerous. Small serrated polyp in the lower colon is a hyperplastic polyp. Large serrated polyps are typically flat (sessile) difficult to detect located in the upper colon.
- Inflammatory- This is common in people who are suffering from IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), known as pseudopolyp as they develop from chronic inflammation in the colon.
- Villous Adenoma- This polyp has a high risk of turning into cancer, commonly sessile which makes it difficult to remove.
Polyp is found in 30% of the adult population of 45-50 years of age. A polyp can result in genetic changes in the cells of colon which affects the normal cell, various factors which affects this are following
- Excessive alcohol intake
- Crohn’s disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Type 2 diabetes
Some genetic conditions which raises the chance for polyp and crohn’s disease are
- Familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP)
- Gardner’s syndrome- It is a type of FAP that causes polyp which grows in the colon and small intestines.
- Lynch Syndrome- Known as hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer
- MYH- associated polyposis (MAP)
- Rectal Bleeding- It is sign of colon polyp such as minor tear of the anus causes bleeding
- Change in colour of stool- red streaks in stools may cause stool appear black
- Change in bowel habits- Constipation that lasts longer indicate the presence of polyp
- Pain- it leads to crampy abdominal pain
- Iron deficiency anemia- Chronic bleeding results in the deficiency of iron and makes you feel tired and shortness of breath.
- Abdominal pain
- Fatigue and shortness of breath
- CT colonography
- Stool based tests
- Barium enema
- Inflammatory intestinal conditions such as Ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease of the colon.
- Excessive use of alcohol
- Black americans has higher chances of this colon cancer
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Total proctocolectomy
- Include healthy habits such as eating plenty of fruits, vegetables and reducing the fat intake.
- Increase consumption of Calcium supplements as it prevents the recurrence of colon adenomas such as Broccoli, milk, cheese, fish.
- Lose extra weight to maintain a normal body mass index
- Exercise daily
- Quit smoking
In ayurveda it is related with Arshas where the mamsa ankuras (fleshy masses) occur usually at the opening of guda marga (anus) hence obstructs the pathway and troubles like enemies. The vitiated doshas further contaminates the twak (skin), mamsa (muscle) and meda (fat) and causes the fleshy ankuras at the opening these are known as Arshas.
TYPES OF ARSHAS
1. Vataja Arshas is vitiated due to vata doshas which is caused by
- Excessive consumption of pungent food
- Excessive consumption of dry foods
- Taking food in deficit quantities
- Excessive indulgence in physical exercise
2. Pittaja Arshas– is vitiated due to pitta doshas which is caused by-
- Excessive consumption of hot foods
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
- Living in hot areas and places
- Excessive exercise
3. Kaphja Arshas– is vitiated due to kapha doshas and is caused by
- Excessive consumption of sweet foods
- Lack of exercise
- Excessive consumption of heavy food
- Lack of worries
4. Tridoshaja Arshas– It aggravates the doshas
5. Raktaja Arshas– It is caused by the vitiation of rakta doshas
6. Sahaja Arshas– It is hereditary, acquired from parents
Arshas is treated with 4 fold approach
- Shastra Karma- surgical method
- Kshara Karma- cauterization with alkalis
- Agni Karma- Fire cauterization
- Aushadha- Medicines
HERBS USEFUL FOR RECTAL POLYP
Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia) is a famous herb which is used for blood detoxification and in various skin disorders. Manjistha helps to balance kapha and pitta dosha, mitigates pitta doshas so helpful in skin diseases such as in eczema, dermatitis. It helps to improve the complexion of skin, in gynaecological disorders, urinary tract disorders. Manjistha helps to raise the level of dopamine and boosts up the immunity and increases the white blood cells of immunity.
Tejpatra (Cinnamomum tamala) is ayurvedic herb used in the treatment of black spots on the face, in dental caries and in complications of tuberculosis. It helps to reduce the vitiated kapha dosha and vata doshas, hence increases pitta doshas. Helps to cleanse the oral cavity and facial skin. Tejpatra is indicated in treatment of haemorrhoids, anorexia and in toxic conditions.
Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) usually pacifies the tridoshas and is a rich source of Vitamin C. It acts as a best anti ageing herb which improves the overall health and vision. Amalaki is effective in various bleeding disorders and acts as an aphrodisiac which reduces the burning sensation. This herb is used to improve the voice, sore throat and in various disorders related to throat. Protect from viral, fungal and in various bacterial infections.
Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica) is used in the treatment of fever , cough and in virechana therapy. This helps to balance kapha and pitta dosha. Baheda acts as a mild laxative which is good for our eyes and promotes the growth of hair, relieves worm infestation. It helps to detoxify blood, lymph and fatty tissue in the body. It possesses various properties such as Antioxidant, antimicrobial and has anti cancer properties.
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR RECTAL POLYP BY PLANET AYURVEDA
Planet Ayurveda provides the best combination of herbal remedies which provides great relief to the patients and the various formulations are made of 100% pure extracts without any adulteration. These medications are made under strict guidance of M.D experts and they check the quality of each and every formulation as there is no compromise with the health of patients. For rectal polyp planets ayurveda provides various remedies for better treatment without any side effects.
- TRIPHALA GUGGUL
- VARA CHURNA
- MANJISHTHA CAPSULES
- GANDHAK RASAYAN
- JATYADI OIL
- NIRGUNDI OIL
1. Triphala Guggul
Triphala Guggul is herbal tablets which is formulated by planet ayurveda using various ingredients such as Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Amalaki (Emblica officnalis), Bibhitaki (Terminalia billerica), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula). This tablet is used to control cholesteroland in various gastrointestinal tract which provides relief to inflammatory conditions and in piles. Helps to treat constipation, hyperglycemia, myopia and in heart related disorders.
Dosage– 1-2 tablets twice daily with lukewarm water.
2. Vara Churna
Vara Churna is polyherbal powder formulation prepared by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bhibhitaki (Terminalia billerica), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis). This churna helps to remove the accumulated toxins and makes it free from constipation. Vara churna improves the functions of the liver by removing the toxins which does not cause any purgation and promotes good intestinal health.
Dosage– 1 teaspoon twice daily
3. Manjishtha Capsules
Manjishtha Capsules are single herbal capsules formulated by planet Ayurveda using standardised extract of Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia). These capsules help in the treatment of Amenorrhea, in blood purification and circulation. It helps in various skin problems and in kidney and gallstones, in heart disease and in hepatitis. Manjishtha capsules are beneficial in urinary disorders and are the best remedy as blood purifiers which lower down the blood pressure.
Dosage– 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
4. Gandhak Rasayan
Gandhak Rasayan are herbal tablets formulated by planet Ayurveda using single ingredient Shuddha Gandhak (Sulphur). It is helpful in balancing the doshas and has the property of antiviral, anti-inflammatory which helps in healing in various conditions. This tablet helps to reduce the itching and burning sensation which reduces the itching and provides relief from eczema. Enhance the immunity of the body to fight against infection.
Dosage– 1-2 tablets twice daily with lukewarm water.
5. Jatyadi Tailam
Jatyadi Tailam is herbal oil formulation prepared by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as Chameli (Jasminum officinale), Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Katuki (Picrorhiza kurroa), Padmaka (Prunus cerasoides) and many more. It has many metallic contents and has penetrating properties which helps to heal the deep seated wound, and is beneficial in chronic psoriatic conditions. Helps to restore the normal colour and reduces the sensation of area.
6. Nirgundi Oil
Nirgundi Oil is herbal oil formulation prepared by planet Ayurveda using ingredients such as Tila Oil (Sesamum indicum), Kalahari (Gloriosa superba), Nirgundi (Vitex negundo). It has an anti-inflammatory property which balances the vata and kapha dosha. It Acts as an analgesic so is useful in disorders of spleen, thyroid. Act as a diuretic so facilitates the micturition and works as a brain tonic.
Method of Application
Mix nirgundi oil and jatyadi tailam and apply over the affected part.
Contact my assistant to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or call at +91-172-5214040
A colon polyp is a small clump of cells that forms on the lining of the colon (large intestines) or rectum. This polyp is an abnormal growth of the tissue which is projecting from mucous membrane. Polyp is found in 30% of the adult population over the age of 45-50 years of age. In ayurveda it is related with Arshas where the mamsa ankuras (fleshy masses) occur usually at the opening of guda marga (anus) hence obstructs the pathway and troubles like enemies.