Natural Products in Treatment of Ulcerative Colitis-Herbal remedies
Oh goshǃǃ this abdominal pain, rectal bleeding, bloody stools make the condition worst. Yes we are talking about the ulcerative colitis. One more health issue haunting the mankind these days.Herbal remedies for ulcerative colitis work like a wonder to cope up with this disease. But if you are going for the herbal treatment then be patient as the herbs take time to uproot the disease.
In Ayurveda Ulcerative colitis is known as pittaj grahani. It is mainly due to the imbalance of pitta dosha with further involvement of imbalanced vata dosha in some cases. Aggaravation of pitta doshas occurs due to the consumption of pitta aggravating foods which result in the impairment of rakta dhatu (blood tissues) and mamsa dhatu (muscle tissues). This condition result in formation of ama (toxins) in the intestine. Whereas aggravation of vata dosha in the lower colon region result in the mucous accumulation and inflammation. So the inappropriate eating habits are the major cause of this disease.
There are various herbs like Bilva (Aegle marmelos), Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna), Kutaj (Holarrhena antidyssentrica), Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), Dhania (Coriander sativum), Nagarmotha (Cyprus rotundus), Anar (Punica granatum), Choti elaichi (Eletteria cardomum), Jaiphal (Myristica fragrans) and Kutaja (Holarrhena antidysenterica) are identified in Ayurveda to treat ulcerative colitis. These herbs possess the carminative, antioxidant, anti inflmmatirty, digestive stimulant properties which help in natural healing of ulcerative colitis. Moreover, these herbs along with the treatment of disease result in the overall health benefits.
What is ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease (IDB) which is characterized by the inflammation of colon and rectum. This disease comes in the category of auto immune disorders. There are various factors like food allergies, collagen disorders, genetic factors, wrong food consumption like eating hot or spicy food are factors, responsible for ulcerative colitis.
Let’s see the symptoms of ulcerative colitis:
- Abdominal pain and cramps
- Bloody stools
- Diarrhea with pus or blood
- Weight loss
- Rectal bleeding
- Burning sensation in chest and throat
Note – Don’t take this disease lightly, in some cases it may result in life threatening complications.
- Planet Ayurveda offers the herbal remedies for ulcerative colitis which are procured from the pure extracts of herbs. It offers “ulcerative colitis care pack” which comprises the four herbal products.
List of products:
- ARJUNA CAPSULES
- VATSAKADI CHURNA
- PITTA BALANCE
- KUTAZGHAN VATI
1. ARJUNA CAPSULES – Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) herb is packed with anti-oxidant, analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties are quite useful to manage the symptoms of ulcerative colitis like abdominal pain, rectal bleeding, ulcers, bloody stools etc. Standardized extract of this herb is used to make arjuna capsules. These capsules are effective to heal the ulcerative colitis in a natural way.
Dosage – 2 capsules two times in a day after meals with plain water.
2. VATSAKADI CHURNA – This herbal supplement is an amazing blend of various herbs which are given below
- Kutaj (Holarrhena antidyssentrica)
- Bilva (Aegle marmelos)
- Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare)
- Dhania (Coriander sativum)
- Nagarmotha (Cyprus rotundus)
- Anar (Punica granatum)
- Choti elaichi (Eletteria cardomum)
- Jaiphal (Myristica fragrans)
- Herbs given above work in a synergetic way to treat the ulcerative colitis. Herbs used in the formulation of vatsakadi churna are packed with the digestive, astringent, appetizer and anti-dyspeptic properties. Moreover, these herbs balance the imbalanced vata and pitta doshas.
- These herbs help to pacify the vitiated vata and pitta doshas which is major causes of ulcerative colitis in Ayurveda. Hence these herbs support the good digestive system. These herbs help to manage the symptoms like rectal bleeding, ulceration, inflammation in the lining of colon, and abdominal cramps in ulcerative colitis. Hence it is an effective Ayurvedic treatment for ulcerative colitis.
Dosage – One teaspoonful, twice in a day with plain water after meals.
3. PITTA BALANCE – As the name of this product suggests that it balances the vitiated pitta dosha. This herbal product is prepared by the combination of various natural ingredients which are listed below –
- Praval pishti (Coral calcium)
- Akik pishti (Agate calcium)
- Jahar mohra pishti (An ayurvedic calcium compound)
- Kamdudha ras (An ayurvedic calcium compound)
- Mukta pishti (Pearl calcium)
- Giloy satva (Tinopsora corifolia)
Natural ingredients given above possess the immune modulator, digestive stimulant and anti-oxidant properties. Hence this herbal product is also quite good to treat the ulcerative colitis in a natural way. Moreover these ingredients, help to pacify the pitta dosha which is the main cause of ulcerative colitis.
Dosage – One capsule, two times in a day after meals with plain water.
4. KUTAZGHAN VATI – This is also another wonderful herbal formulation of planet Ayurveda. This herbal product is available in the form of tablets and prepared from the pure extracts of herb, Kutaja (Holarrhena antidysenterica). This herb helps to treat the chronic diarrhea in ulcerative colitis. It also helps to burn the ama (toxins) and also helps to provide the relief in the abdominal cramps, rectal bleeding and inflammation of colon.
Dosage – 2 tablets, two times in a day after meals with plain water.
- Along with the herbal remedies, it is mandatory for rapidly recovery to take care of few things such as:
- Consume the vegetables like bitter gourd, bottle gourd, pumpkin, and round gourd and ridge gourd.
- Consume the fruits like, apple, banana, pear and pomegranate (without seeds).
- Drink plenty of water and fluids daily.
- Consumption of Coconut water is also good for ulcerative colitis.
- Limit the dairy products
- Limit the fiber intake
- Avoid Spicy and junk food
- Avoid non vegetarian foods
- Avoid carbonated drinks
- Avoid tea and coffee
- Avoid ice cream, biscuits, white bread, oats and nuts
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Keep yourself away from negativity.
- Do meditation and deep breathing which helps to ease stress and relax your body.