How Ayurveda Treat Liver cirrhosis with Diet & Herbal Remedies
Liver cirrhosis can be compared with Kumbhkamala in Ayurveda. Mostly alcohol is responsible for it. Liver has to perform multiple functions like production of biles to absorb vitamins & fats, regulation of proteins and flushing out the toxins & pathogens.
Although it is a disease which can’t be reversed, but if treated earlier it saves you from further troubles. Ayurveda has natural and herbals ways to treat this disease in a humble way.
The liver is seen as your body’s engine and processing plant, which is responsible for multi-tasking job of generation, digestion, metabolism of numerous compounds, filtration of blood and distribution of vital nutrients to different cells and organs.To keep the plasma tissue (rasa dhatu) clean, the liver catches the bad toxins (Ama), which have accumulated in the liver, and throws them out.
According to Ayurveda
- According to Ayurveda the liver is an organ that is as fresh as a daisy. It keeps working as long as we live and has the same importance as the heart.
- Currently, due to the rising amount in the consumption of all alcoholic drinks over the globe, we are at a risk of hurting our liver, whereas it becomes a duty of all humans to safeguard it from any such mishaps.
- When liver gets disturbed, many infections are lurking in our environment to strike, if the liver is strong it keeps all infections at bay, but when it is hurt and gets weak, your body can be ambushed by any infection, then better be ready to face the music, which can also prove to be fatal if ignored.
Some of the most common liver diseases are:
1.Alcohol-related liver disease:
Cirrhosis or scarring of the liver caused by excessive consumption of alcohol or alcoholic beverages.
2.Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease:
- Liver damage can happen from fat build-up caused by obesity, high blood sugar level, insulin resistance or high levels of fats in the blood.
Infection can be caused by hepatitis A, B, C or D virus.
4. Primary biliary cirrhosis:
Mostly it is a result of autoimmune disease.
- It can be a genetic condition in which an iron overload can cause liver cirrhosis.
Every individual has different reasons to cause liver cirrhosis, but by changing your diet plans and life style you can restore the health of the liver.
Natural Treatment for Liver cirrhosis
- Ayurveda has an effective and most common remedy called Arogyavardhini, which heals the scarred liver. In fact it is a compound of katuki and calx that protects the patients from chronic deteriorating conditions like Jaundice happening.
- Arogyavardhini Vati functions by reviving the liver muscles and is extremely beneficial in cirrhosis of the liver, jaundice and in case of poor liver functioning. This remedy comes in the form of powder (churna) and is also available in tablets.
- Katuki is a word of Sanskrit meaning bitter and another herbal remedy which is very effective and helpful. It is just available in powder form. It is a fragile herb that can be found growing in the pristine environment of the lower Himalayas. Its demand is gaining more because it possesses large scale therapeutic benefits.
- It triggers the liver to produce more bile and soothes it from the congestion and pain. It also facilitates the tissues for working normally. It rejuvenates the liver after purifying the blood. It is a soft laxative and such a remedy excretes out the aggravated Pitta (excess bile) from the liver and makes it function in normal conditions. It also stimulates the fat metabolism and lowers bad cholesterol level. Mix 1 teaspoon of katuki powder with an equal amount of honey and have it thrice a day.
- Bhringaraja is another herbal remedy in Ayurveda that can help the people who have infantile liver cirrhosis. Traditionally, Bhringaraj was used to treat diseases like Jaundice and fatty liver. Its leaf juice or plant extract may be given to patients of injured liver either alone or along with other products such as honey, pepper, or punarnava.
- Your liver works in an arduous way to eradicate toxins from your body and Bhringaraj has the capacity to protect this vital organ from damage by harmful chemicals. Its ingredients like demethyl-wedelolactone and wedelolactone are thought to account for these beneficial effects as they show not only anti-hepatotoxic activity but are also able to help regenerate liver cells. Take 1 teaspoon of Bhringaraja, thrice a day. I know it tastes bitter, but you can add some honey to sweeten the taste.
- 4. Papaya seeds are beneficial in cirrhosis, especially if liver cirrhosis happen due to alcohol. Papaya seeds can either be taken in raw form or can be put in a grinder to take out their juice. For the best way to have it is, mix 1 tablespoon of this juice with 10 drops of fresh lime juice, be regular and try it for a month, be ready for pleasant surprises.
Prevention & Tips
- If liver cirrhosis has gone more complicated and has become Jaundice, then you need the juice of Raddish leaves, mixed with water. This process will enhance the appetite and regulates the movement of bowels, thus helps in digestion. This experiment proved with lots of patients saying that they do get positive results within 8 to 10 days.
- If Jaundice has become severe, enhance the amount by taking fresh buttermilk. Persist on having healthy meals regularly. Better avoid the food which is rich in proteins and sugar. If you have a high quality of protein, which is available in goat milk, almonds and cottage cheese, then it can be given to the patients with cirrhosis. Avoid having pulses and legumes.
- There are many more remedies in Ayurveda that can restore liver like Vasaka, Triphala and kakamachi. All are herbal formulations.
- All these herbal remedies are tried in liver conditions and have a high success rate. Just make sure that all these herbs are grown in an organic manner to reap in the maximum benefits. It will be a lot more better that you consult with a highly qualifies and renowned Ayurvedic doctor before proceeding as he/she can guide in an adorable way.