How Helpful is Ayurvedic Remedies in Kidney Stones?
Kidney stone is not a stone exactly, but in fact is the crystallization of minerals and waste materials, which is found in urine, when they all get assembled in the kidney blocking the canal that passes urine, thus causing pain. Sometimes it is too small to be noticed, but can expand its size with time, up to the size of a grapefruit. It is only then that it begins blocking the flow of urine, causing extreme pain and bleeding. In Ayurvedic language it means Vrukka Ashmari ( Vrukka means kidney and Ashmari means the stone). The treatment is different for every person in Ayurveda, as every individual body has its own features.
What are the Causes of Kidney Stones
- The reason why the kidney stone gets created is improper and unhealthy diet and sedentary lifestyle, without much physical activity, doing physical work excessively, working for too long under the sun, excessive drinking of alcoholic beverages, coffee and tea and eating oily, heavy and Junk food. All these leave no space for consumption of fresh vegetables, water and alkaline producing foods. When you ignore & suppress the urge to pass stool or urine can also cause the formation of kidney stone
Natural Ways to Treat Kidney Stones
Ayurveda treats all patients with natural herbal medicines that you have access to. Ayurveda recommends:
- Drink lots of coconut water, as it is considered to be the best drink for the kidney stone to get mixed with urine and be flushed out. It is cool and healthy drink that helps to dissolve the kidney stone with urine. The burning sensation you get during urination, it heals that too.
Lemon juice with Honey:
- Mix raw honey in your glass of lemon juice cum warm or normal water. You can either add honey or rock salt, depending on your taste. This lemon juice is a safe bet for removal of kidney stones.
- The first & foremost remedy for the removal of kidney stone is to drink lots & lots of water. It is the cheapest and best remedy to make the kidney stone flush out. The more you drink water, the more you need to urinate and the urine will let the stone to dissolve itself in it and will get flushed out. Along with the stone it will keep you hydrated and lets out all the toxins and waste products which are responsible for creating a kidney stone. Drink water a little more than necessary, at least 8 to 10 glasses a day.
Tulsi or (Basil):
- Tulsi, a holy plant according to Hindu mythology, is a plant that enhances the balance between minerals, fluid and uric acid. Its leaves can be used to make tea, juice can be taken raw with honey to make it a little tasty, and had it for 2- 3 times a day. Tulsi is also responsible for enhancing kidney health, so it will be a lot better if we make it a habit to drink Tulsi tea, but the Tulsi plant should be organic.
Kollu or (Horse Gram):
- Kollu or Kulti is also helpful in prevention, if a kidney stone does get formed, it peters it out. It also removes the stones that get formed in the gall bladder. It helps in scattering the kidney stones into small tiny pieces, which makes the urine very easy to carry along. All the blockages in the urinary tract are flushed out easily.
Vendakkai (Lady’s Finger/ Okra/ Bhindi in Hindi):
- This is a green vegetable that has magnesium, anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, thus it prevents the crystallization of chemicals that gets accumulated in the kidney to form a kidney stone. When it stops their assembly, it reduces the chances of formation of kidney stone. So it is a safe remedy for kidney stone.
- Phyllanthus Niruri also famous as Bhumyamalaki, is a green plant which is mostly used in Ayurveda to treat kidney stone. It is recognized due to its herbal and medicinal qualities. According to a review, it is found that it prevents the birth of a kidney stone. So it is considered a safe bet for your kidney.
- It is a widely spread tropical plant, which is found in the coastal areas, which is popularly known as stone-breaker, seed under leaf and gale of the wind. It is a relative of herbaceous plant, which belongs to the genus Phyllanthus, which comes from the family of Phyllanthaceae.
What are the Prevention and Tips
You can also take some other preventive steps for not letting the kidney stone to get created like:
- You should limit the consumption of too much salt, as ‘excess of everything is bad’ so is of salt. Drink lots of water, make sure it is clean, and drink lots of fluids that are good for your health, like fruit juices, soups and nutritious drinks, not the ones that contain alcohol, tea or coffee.
- If you still feel the urge to consume it, better restrict and put a limit on them and have them occasionally. Don’t make it a habit to consume them daily.
- Daily exercise is a necessity, the heat generated while exercising makes the stone fizzle out.
- Try to avoid unhealthy foods like sugar, junk foods, sugary drinks, processed foods, black tea, soft drinks, sodas, alcoholic drinks and chocolate.
- Reduce or just quit having non-vegetarian food items like meat, eggs and poultry products, which are responsible for enhancing the uric acid level in urine.
- If you do need some healthy foods for your body to function normally, better opt for vegetable proteins, sprouted grains, whole grain bread, pulses and various different lentils. All these don’t let the kidney stone to create its structure.
- It is easy to treat such renal stones via Ayurveda, without any surgery. If you ignore it, it might pass on to the bladder and kidneys. If its size expands, it can cause havoc inside your body and damage many other organs. If you are slightly doubtful, better go to an Ayurvedic doctor and get a test done. You can contact Planet Ayurveda too. It is just a click away at planetayurveda.com