How to Cure Ulcerative Colitis Naturally-Diet, Herbs & Home Remedies
In today’s scenario most of the persons are suffering from health issues like acute and chronic. There are many of diseases which are due to the improper unhealthy lifestyle and eating habits. Ulcerative colitis is also one of them related to the painful condition of gastrointestinal tract. It is considered as an autoimmune disease condition in which body’s own immune system attacks the body and causes health issues that may cause inflammation and other diseased conditions. This can be managed with the help of balanced diet, proper lifestyle, natural herbs and few home remedies that help to manage the disease symptoms to greater extent.
- It is an inflammatory diseased condition which causes long lasting inflammation and ulcers in digestive tract. It affects the innermost lining of large intestine and rectum. It can be characterized by abdominal pain, cramping, rectal pain and bleeding, weight loss, diarrhea often with blood loss etc. The main
- The main cause of this disorder may be improper lifestyle and unhealthy eating habits like spicy food, unbalanced diet, excessive intake of alcohol and other causes may include insomnia, stress and hereditary.
- As per Ayurveda it is known as pittaj grahani. Healthy body has three energies – vata, pitta and kapha. Imbalance of any three energies results in health issues. As per Ayurveda aggravation of pitta dosha is the main cause of ulcerative colitis, in some cases vata dosha is involved. Aggravation of pitta is due to consumption of pitta aggravating foods which results in the damage to rakta dhatu (blood tissues) and mamsa dhatu (muscle tissues). Due to this there is the formation of ama (toxins) in the intestine. The vata dosha also gets aggravated in the lower colon region which causes the mucous accumulation and inflammation.
- Along with medical treatments, diet, natural herbs and home remedies – such as diet and exercise – can help to aid with ulcerative colitis symptoms, too. Let us explain how you and your condition can benefit from these natural remedies.
Diet in Ulcerative Colitis
- Diet plays an important role in management of any disease. Bad eating habits are the main cause of ulcerative colitis. Intake of unbalanced diet like spicy and greasy food that results in ulcerative colitis. Unhealthy diet and lifestyle like lack of proper sleep, anxiety, depression, and smoking are also major causes of ulcerative colitis. The patients who suffers from ulcerative colitis are advised to take proper care of diet along with medicines.
- There are some general guidelines that may help keep your symptoms at bay. People should take care of following dietary guidelines which are given below:
What should eat?
- Dairy products– up to 2 cups of low fat milk, cottage cheese, pudding, or yogurt per day.
- Grains: breads, pasta, crackers, and dry cereals that have less than 1/2 a gram of fiber per serving.
- Meats and other proteins: soft and tender cooked meats, such as poultry, eggs, pork, and fish; smooth peanut and nut butter
- Fruits: Fruit juices with no pulp; canned fruits and applesauce, not including pineapple; raw, ripe bananas, melon, cantaloupe, watermelon, plums, peaches, and apricots
- Vegetables: Raw lettuce, cucumbers, zucchini, and onion; cooked spinach, pumpkin, seedless yellow squash, carrots, eggplant, potatoes, and green and wax beans
What should not eat?
- Avoid the following foods:
- Deli meats
- Dry fruits, berries, figs, prunes, and prune juice
- Raw vegetables not mentioned in the list above
- Spicy sauces, dressings, pickles, and relishes with chunks
- Nuts, seeds, and popcorn
- Foods and beverages that contain caffeine, cocoa, and alcohol
Herbs Used in Ulcerative Colitis
There are various herbs used in the management of ulcerative colitis in natural way without any negative impact on health. Some of the herbs are explained below:
- Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare)–It is the one of most common spice used in Indian kitchen. It is very effective herb to provide relief in the symptoms like diarrhea, abdominal pain/cramps, rectal bleeding and burning sensation in chest which are associated with ulcerative colitis. It is used in the preparation of vatskadi churna.
- Dhania (Coriander sativum) – It is also commonly known as the coriander and also used as spice in Indian kitchen. Moreover it has the great medicinal importance in Ayurveda which is packed with the digestive, astringent, appetizer and anti-dyspeptic properties. It is very effective to manage the symptoms of ulcerative colitis without causing any negative impacts on health. It is one of the ingredient used in Vatskadi churna.
- Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) – Nadisarija is the Sanskrit name of Arjunaand it is very potent herb in Ayurveda due to its great medicinal properties. Use of this herb is very effective to manage the complications of ulcerative colitis in a natural way and provides relief in rectal bleeding, ulcers, bloody stools and abdominal pain. Arjuna capsules are prepared using this herb.
- Kutaja (Holarrhena antidysenterica) – This herb is useful for the treatment of chronic diarrhea in ulcerative colitis and helps to remove ama (toxins) and also helps to provide the relief in the abdominal cramps rectal bleeding and inflammation of colon. It is used in the preparation of kutajghan vati.
HOME REMEDIES FOR ULCERATIVE COLITIS
There are few home remedies for the management of ulcerative colitis include:
- Consume a glass of juice of plain/ Green grass on a daily basis.
- Chew some fresh rose petals to reduce heart burn, acidity and burning feeling and it also helps in healing process.
- Consume one mashed banana with fresh curd every day to reduce the symptoms of ulcerative colitis.
- Consume daily 50 to 60 ml juice of pomegranate to deal with ulcerative colitis and combat loss of blood.