Post Traumatic Stress Disorder – Symptoms, Causes, And Treatment
Traumas and major life events are inevitable and occur to almost every human. Sometimes the trauma could be so heart-wrenching that it haunts the person for his lifetime. There can be so many such incidents that impact the life of a person to an extreme level. These life-changing or disturbing moments can impact the normal life of a person which results in an altered mood of the person that he/she used to be in the past. These symptoms relate to stress disorder which is known as Post Traumatic Stress disorder. In this text, we shall see the details of this disorder as well as its management in the contemporary system of medicine and the traditional system of Ayurvedic management. Let’s get it !!!
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is a complicated and serious condition that usually develops after witnessing or experiencing a major trauma and terrifying happenings or events that might have resulted in a serious threat to life such as physical assault. Sexual assault, unexpected passing away of loved ones, accidents, wars, natural disasters, etc are some of the major reasons that can lead to the development of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. In Ayurveda, the mask (mental) and shrink (physical) injury leads to vata dosha aggravation which results in symptoms that are related to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Further, we shall see its causes, features, and management of the same.
Causes of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Intimate partner violence
- War-related trauma
- Death of a loved one
- Life-threatening stress and illness
- Pregnancy-related trauma
Signs and Symptoms
- Amnesia of the event
- Flashbacks nightmares
- Alcohol use
- Mood swings
- Temper tantrums
- Anger outbursts
- Fear and others
Further symptoms can be divided into four classes
The person avoids the places, people, situations, and thoughts that can remind them of trauma. This can lead to isolation from friends and family and loss of interest in a number of activities the person used to enjoy.
2. Increased arousal
This results in excessive emotions, showing affection and feelings, difficulty in falling asleep or insomnia, irritability, difficulty concentrating, and anger outbursts. Physical symptoms may include high blood pressure, muscle tension, palpitations, diarrhea, nausea, increased heart rate, etc.
A person with PTSD relives the traumatic incident in their memories and thoughts. It includes hallucinations, nightmares, and flashbacks. Anniversaries and birthdays remind them of the trauma.
4. Negative cognitions and mood
Feelings or thoughts related to estrangement, blame, and memory of the trauma.
Investigations of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Adjustment disorder
- Acute stress disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Medications : Antidepressants, benzodiazepines, glucocorticoids, cannabinoids, prazosin.
- Sport activity
- Play therapy
- Disorders of cardiovascular, respiratory, gastrointestinal, immunological, and musculoskeletal systems.
Ayurvedic aspect and management of PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is a serious condition that occurs due to various major life happenings such as physical assaults, sexual assaults, road traffic accidents that left the victim debilitated, the passing away of loved ones, etc. The signs and symptoms usually include anxiety, headache, fear, hallucinations, stress, etc.
- In Ayurveda, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) can be best correlated with the aggravation of vata dosha. Even in the Ayurvedic texts, it is mentioned that trauma leads to the vata dosha aggravated and furthermore all the symptoms that occur due to PTSD are the features of vitiated vata dosha.So as the vata dosha naturally aggravates after injury, the management protocol thus depends on the pacification of the vata dosha.
- Management includes nasya karma (nasal drop therapy), oral medicines and diet management, and other therapies as well.
- Ghrita that are beneficial in PTSD is panchakarma ghrita, kalyanaka ghrita, mahakalyanaka ghrita, mahamasha taila, brahmi ghrita, ksheerabala ghrita, maha narayana taila, etc. These are some formulations that are helpful in PTSD if used as nasal drops.
- Mandukaparni (Centella asiatica), yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis) are the herbs that effectively helps in PTSD.
- Manasamitra vati, Chandra Prabha vati, brahmi vati, Purana ghrita, brahmi ghrita, panchayat ghrita, barista, ashwagandha ghan vati, saraswatarishta, paishachak ghrita, and various other formulations are available that effectively manage Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Herbal Remedies for PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is an eminent ISO 9001:2015 certified, GMP certified and US-FDA registered Ayurvedic Company, which adheres to the objective of manufacturing quality Ayurvedic products as mentioned in a number of ancient texts of Ayurveda. Formulations are manufactured without additives and preservatives and other kinds of chemicals or artificial flavoring agents which can have a number of side effects on the human body. Products manufactured at Planet Ayurveda are pure and devoid of any kind of adulteration. The products are purely organic and vegetarian and gluten-free and halal-certified. Planet Ayurveda extends its products that are useful in managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
Following is the list of formulations that are helpful in PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
1. Neurogenie Capsules
2. Stress Support
3. Mahakalyanaka Ghrit
4. Arjun Tea
1. Neurogenic Capsules
Neurogenic capsules are a product of Planet Ayurveda which is composed of herbs that are regarded as medhya in Ayurvedic texts and promote and improve neurological functions. The formulation contains the herbs Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) and ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). These are useful in promoting wellness of the mind and coping with stress. And also helps in channelizing the mind in a positive direction and elevates the mood. With mind-calming actions, Neurogenie capsules are helpful in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Dosage: Two capsules twice a day with plain water after meals.
2. Stress Support
Stress Support is a product of Planet Ayurveda which is composed of the extract of the herbs ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Sagar (Valeriana Wallachia), and Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri). The herbs help in modifying the thought process and soothe the mind and also manage stress issues as we saw in the features above. Hence, Stress Support is an amazing preparation that magnificently manages Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Dosage: One capsule twice a day with plain water after meals.
3. Mahakalyanaka Ghrit
Mahakalyanaka Ghrit is a classical formulation that benefits psychological and psychiatric issues efficiently. Mahakalyanaka ghrit is enriched with mind-calming properties of herbs shweta sariva (Hemidesmus indicus), krishna sariva (Ichnocarpus frutescens), haridra (Curcuma longa), daru haldi (Berberis aristata), prishniparni (Uraria picta), tagar (Valeriana wallichi), manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia), vidanga (Embelia ribes), ativisha (Aconitum heterophyllum), kapikachhu (Mucuna pruriens) and many others. Mahakalyanaka ghrit helps in coping with stress disorder as it relaxes the mind and manages the symptoms associated with stress. Hence, Mahakalyanaka ghrita is a product of choice in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Dosage: One tsp twice daily with warm water
4. Arjun Tea
Arjun tea is a product of Planet Ayurveda. It is an appropriate remedy that relaxes the mind and all the bodily symptoms associated with stress such as palpitations, anger, etc. It contains arjuna and the product is filled with the goodness of arjuna (Terminalia arjuna), punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanicum), and other herbs. Managing the symptoms of stress, benefits people suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Dosage: One cup daily
CONTACT PLANET AYURVEDA TO PROVIDE YOU WITH THE COSTING / ORDERING AND DELIVERY INFORMATION AT – COSTING.PLANETAYURVEDA@GMAIL.COM OR CALL AT +91-172-5214040
As we know, time is a great healer. But some injuries or traumas are so severe that they are not easily forgettable and nor do they heal. This trauma haunts the person lifelong. Some people are brave enough to cope with those terrifying glimpses and some lose their minds. And this results in a number of symptoms such as angry mood, self-blame, sleep disturbances, fear, anxiety, depression, etc. These features appear after a severe injury or trauma, then which is known as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. The Ayurvedic products that we have discussed above efficiently channel the mind in a positive way and also fight depression and elevate the mood and give new hope to the patients with an optimistic approach towards life.