Seven Lifestyle Changes You Need to Make To Prevent Kidney Disorders
The term kidney disorders are very vast and vague in actuality. As there are numerous kidney dysfunctioning related ailments such as dysuria, polyuria, nephrotic syndrome etc. As per ayurveda each and every malady arises due to an imbalance between the tridosha (three essential energies of our body vata, pitta and kapha). If we follow the ideal principles of dinacharya (daily regime) and ritucharya (seasonal regime) of ayurveda we can surely prevent ourselves from kidney disorders as well.
According to ayurveda, kidneys are known as “vrikk”. They are the bean shaped structure located on the both right and left side of the abdomen in the retroperitoneal space slightly toward the back. They are the main organ of the renal system of our body and play a major role in excretion of waste products and formation of urine. Each kidney contains numerous nephrons (cells); they are the structural and functional unit of the renal system. if there is formation of an abnormality in kidneys, it will lead to the generation of various disorders known as “kidney related disorders”.
Ayurvedic Correlation of Kidney Disorders
- According to our ancient classical text kidney disorders come under the “mutra vaha srotas vyadhi” (channels carrying urine).
- It means there is malfunctioning in the working of the complete renal system of our body that includes both the kidney, ureter (a pair of tubes that carry urine from kidneys to the urinary bladder), urinary bladder (a hollow muscular organ that stores the urine until we excrete it out by urination) and urethra (it is a fibromuscular tube that starts from the lower border of bladder and extend toward the outside of the body, it helps in excretion of urine from the body)
General Description of Mutra Vaha Srotas
According to our ancient classical text- there are numerous sarotas (channels) in our body that play a major role in normal functioning of our body, one such important srotas is “mutra vaha srotas” so let’s start discussing about that in detail by going through our textual references.
This verse states that-The main seat of mutra vaha srotas are- basti (urinary bladder) and vankshan (pelvic region)
Etiological Factors that Lead to Formation of an Ailment in Mutravaha Srotas
Etiological factors mean “nidan” (causes) as per ayurveda, and they are the factors that lead to generation of disorders within the body. The below mentioned verse explains the classical reference of nidan as per our ancient acharyas.
It states that
- Mutrit udak bhakshya stri sevnaat mutra nigrhat (use of water, food and coitus during the urge of micturition)
- Ksheen abhi kshatasya (particularly in those individuals who are emaciated and wounded)
Symptoms of Kidney Disorders (Mutra Vaha Sarotas Vyadhi)
According to Ayurveda the common symptoms (complaints of a patient) are explained in the below mentioned verse by acharya charaka.
- Excessive excretion of urine.
- Obstruction or suppression of the natural urge of urination.
- Excretion of vitiated, diminished and thick urine.
- Painful micturition.
Other Symptoms are
- Acute pain in the lower abdomen.
- Increased frequency or decreased quantity of urine
- Burning micturition
- Darkness in front of eyes
- Heaviness in the bladder.
How Ayurveda Helps You in Dealing with Kidney Disorders
As Ayurveda is not just the science of medicines it also tells us about the ideal way to live life in such a manner that it prevents us from various disorders. Ayurveda believes in a principle mentioned in below listed shaloka:
(Sushrut. Sutra 15/48)
It states that when a person has balanced amount of tridosha (vata, pitta & kapha (essential energies of our body), agni (digestive fire within our body), dhatu (supporting unit of our body), mal (waste material within the body) and a happy atma (soul), indriya (body senses), mann (mind & heart) is considered as a healthy person.
- To achieve the goals mentioned in the above paragraph we need to follow the ideal routine of ritucharya (seasonal regime) and dincharya (daily regime) mentioned by our ancient acharya over thousands of years ago.
Lifestyle Changes You Need to Make to Prevent Yourself from Kidney Disorders
As kidney disorders are usually inflammatory in origin, it means there is involvement of vitiated pitta dosha in it. Pitta dosha is considered to be the main reason to produce various symptoms such as burning sensation, irritation etc. It is also a prime factor to control digestion because of its ushan (hot potency)], metabolism and certain essential hormones that are necessary to increase your appetite.
So, to prevent kidney disorder our main focus is to lower the level of pacified pitta dosha in our body, for this we need to follow the below listed lifestyle changes:
1. Drink Proper Amount of Water
Problem of urinary tract infection and dysuria occurs due to decreased water intake, so it is very necessary to maintain your consumption of water up to 3-4 liters per day.
Even in urinary lithiasis increased water intake will also help you in excreting out the renal stone with the pressure of urine and that will happen when you consume water in excess amount.
2. Kulath Dal (Horse Gram)
It is considered as best “ashmari nasahak” as per ayurveda so it will work very effectively in patients suffering from the problem of kidney stones.
3. Add, Moong Dal in Your Diet
Moong dal is known as “mudag” and is the best among all the pulses, because it is laghu (light weight) in digestion so will helps in various digestive issues such as indigestion, constipation, bloating etc.
- If your body digestion power is good, it means you will not suffer from any renal disorders. According to Ayurveda every ailment in the body arises from the unhealthy digestion of the food we intake.
4. Increase Intake of Fruits Such as Apple, Pears and Papaya
As these fruits are rich in antioxidants that will helps in reducing the amount of harmful free radicals, enrich with vitamin A, C and K so they help in excreting out the harmful toxins out from the body via renal filtration, so aid in preventing renal disorders.
5. Avoid Carbonated Drinks Such as Cold Drinks and Alcohol
As they are filled up with harmful a chemical that has bad impact on the functioning of renal system, excessive intake of alcohol ultimately leads to condition such as renal failure, so it’s better to keep yourself away from excessive use of alcohol and other carbonated drinks.
6. Enhance Use of Olive Oil
As it is enriching in healthy fats and is free from phosphorus, so it will help you in preventing growth of atherosclerosis (narrowing of lumen of blood vessels due to fat accumulation over it) and it is a prime culprit that will generate various circulatory problems that ultimately leads to renal impairment.
7. You Can Also Include Certain Classical Herbs in Your Daily Regime
These herbs will help you in enhancing disease combating power of your body as they are rich in antioxidants and essential nutrients that will help you in raising immunity power. If your immunity is strong means you will not suffer from any renal ailment (kidney disorders).
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) – start consuming amla juice daily early in the morning.
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) – Giloy is a very good immuno modulator herb that possesses rasayana property (means it rejuvenates the body) so it assists you very well in preventing kidney disorders.
Now we can conclude that if we follow an ideal dietary regime and engage in fitness activities such as yoga and pranayama we can surely prevent ourselves from kidney disorders. Ayurveda teaches us about the perfect way to live our life by its basic principle of tridosha theory (three essential energies of our body). If you want to learn about this in detail, watch the blogs of Dr. Vikram Chauhan from planet ayurveda, as they focus on awaring the society about ayurveda and its ultimate benefits. You can contact us through our official email www.planet ayurveda.com.