Treatment of Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) through Ayurveda
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth is a severe condition that affects the small intestine. Bacteria are overexpressed in the small intestine and can also result in malnutrition as bacteria begin to consume the nutrients of the body. To manage the condition and further complications an appropriate treatment is needed. Sometimes dietary changes also provide relief from SIBO. Therefore, Ayurveda is an appropriate treatment for SIBO as they provide herbs, herbal remedies, and dietary guidelines.
Small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), it is also termed as small bowel bacterial overgrowth syndrome (SBBOS), or bacterial overgrowth which include the excess growth of bacteria in the small intestine. Normally, bacteria are present in the gut for digestion but when they start to grow in the small intestine then the condition occurs is known as Small intestine bacterial overgrowth.
Cause of Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth
This overgrowth of bacteria can occur in the small intestine when bacteria pass from a part of the digestive system to the small intestine or when the bacteria develop naturally in the small intestine and spread too much.
SIBO can also be the result of gastric bypass procedures or surgeries and can be due to various health conditions, such as:
- Celiac disease
- Viral gastroenteritis
- Crohn’s disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Hypochlorhydria (low level of stomach acid)
- Nerve damage
- Portal hypertension
Risk factors of Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth
- Older age
- Females are more prone to have SIBO
- Unhealthy food habits
- Use of medicines such as antibiotics, proton pump inhibitors
Symptoms of Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth
The symptoms of SIBO are similar to other digestive conditions. The severity may vary from mild stomach distress to chronic diarrhea, severe abdominal pain, and weight loss, etc. The symptoms associated with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) are the following:
- Stomach pain
- Diarrhea and constipation
- Feeling of fullness
- Unexplained weight loss (Malnutrition)
Diagnosis of Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth
For diagnosis, the doctor will ask you about the symptoms that you have experienced and your medical history. He will also do a complete physical examination and ask for some blood tests, fecal tests or other tests like breath tests.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth
According to the Ayurveda, this condition can be considered as Kaphaj and Pittaj vyadhi. In this aggravation of Kapha dosha and vitiation of pitta dosha takes place.
Ayurveda manages the condition naturally by providing herbs, herbal remedies, and dietary guidelines. These remedies help in balancing the Tridosha of the body and reduce the symptoms associated with Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth and also eradicate the root cause. The following are some herbs and herbal remedies to treat this condition and the effective herbal remedies are provided by Planet Ayurveda.
Herbs for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth
- Amla (Emblica officinalis): This herb balances the pH level of the stomach and provides rejuvenating property.
- Sounf (Foeniculum vulgare): It works as a natural digestive and appetizer.
- Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica): It eliminates the toxins from the body.
- Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia): It supports healthy metabolism and boosts the secretion of digestive juices.
- Pippali (Piper longum): It acts as a catalyst and appetizer.
- Ardraka (Gingiber officinale): It also improves immunity.
- Bhabhitaki (Terminalia bellirica): It acts as a mild laxative and beneficial in various digestive problems.
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula): It also acts as a laxative
Herbal Remedies for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda offers safe and effective herbal remedies for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth. It includes Sanjivani Vati, Digestive Support capsules, Belgiri Powder, Mahashankh Vati, and Praval Panchamrit Ras. These products are prepared by using pure herbs and contain no external additives.
1. Sanjivani Vati
The ingredients added in Sanjivani Vati are Guduchi, Ardraka, Vidanga, Vacha, Shudh bhallatak, Shudh vatsanbh, Amlaki, Bhabhitaki, and Haritaki. This classical formulation balances the vitiated dosha in the body and beneficial in all digestive and intestine problems. It is helpful to digest the ama or toxins in the intestine that creates a blockage in the system. Due to these properties, it is effective in the treatment of Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth.
Dosage: 2 tablets twice daily
2. Digestive Support
These capsules prepared by a combination of many useful herbs such as Haritaki, Amalaki, Bahera, Pippali, Dhania, Jeerak, and Sounf. These herbs eliminate the accumulated Kapha from the body and also support healthy metabolism and improve immunity. So, these capsules maintain the natural pH in the stomach and also manage the symptoms related to Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth such as stomach pain, cramps, indigestion, bloating, gas, etc.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
3. Belgiri Powder
This herbal formulation prepared by using herb Bilva (Aegle marmelos) which helps to balance Vata and Kapha disorders. This herb possesses anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and anti-diarrheal properties. It also prevents the spreading of microorganisms throughout the body and provides anti-infective and has anti-bacterial properties. Belgiri Powder provides relief from many symptoms such as diarrhea, constipation, indigestion, stomach pain, gas, etc. associated with Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth.
Dosage: Half to one full teaspoonful with plain water after meals.
4. Mahashankh Vati
This herbal formulation prepared by combining many useful herbs such as Chitraka, Danti, Pippali, Yavkshar, Sarjakshar, Shudh Parad, and Shudh Tankan. These tablets are effective in Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth, as it helps to reduce the symptoms like gastritis, abdominal pain, poor appetite, nausea, indigestion, etc. It also improves the absorption of nutrients and benefits in malabsorption because in Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth patients may suffer from malabsorption.
Dosage: 2 tablets daily with plain water after meals.
5. Praval Panchamrit Ras
This herbal formulation contains Pearl Bhasma, Pearl oyster bhasma, Conch shell Bhasma, Coral bhasma, and Calotropis Procera. It possesses Anti-bacterial action and reduces the growth of the bacteria in the small intestine, thus effective in Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth. It also acts as a digestive stimulant, carminative and natural healer.
Dosage: 250 mg two times with honey, ghee, and milk after meals or s per directed by the doctor.
Dietary changes are also advised to the people having Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth. It includes food what to eat and what to avoid.
Foods to be Added
- The low-FODMAP diet is commonly recommended in Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth. FODMAPs are a group of carbohydrates i.e. (Fermentable, Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides, and Polyols)
- Soluble and insoluble fiber is also recommended.
- Vegetables: Zucchini, carrots, pumpkin, lettuce, sweet potato and cucumber,
- Gluten-Free Foods: white or brown rice
- Fruit: Banana, kiwi, blueberries, pineapple
- Non-Vegetarian Foods: Skinless chicken, egg white
- Fats and Oils: Limited oils
Foods to be Avoided
- Avoid high FODMAP foods in Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth
- Fruits: Citrus fruits, apples, blackberries, apricots, cherries, pears, plums, mango, watermelon, and nectarines, or juice including any of these fruits
- Vegetables: Asparagus, artichokes, beans, cauliflower, cabbage, garlic, and garlic salts, mushrooms, lentils, and onions, etc.
- Dairy products: Milk, milk products, yogurt, cheeses, custard, and ice cream
- Wheat and rye products
- Honey and Foods including high-fructose maize syrup
Complete information has concluded that natural remedies are best for treating Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth as these safe, effective and do not produce any side effects and also act as a dietary supplement.