What is SIBO? – Causes, Symptoms, Prevention and Ayurvedic Treatment
Our gut contains trillions of microbes which help in maintaining the health of the large intestine and they are also known as gut microbiota. They are helpful in improving digestion, stimulating the immune system, synthesizing vitamins, and producing signaling molecules. In order to keep these microbes’ fat from the intestinal walls, we all have a thick layer of mucus secreted by the epithelium. While in the small intestinal there are a smaller number of microbes present and helping the smooth muscles of the gut to contract smoothly. However, when these numbers increase rapidly it gives rise to a condition called Small Intestinal bacterial overgrowth. In this article we are going to discuss SIBO more in detail along with its treatment through herbal medicine.
What is SIBO?
SIBO is used for the term called small intestinal bacterial overgrowth where group disease occurs due to increased bacteria in the gut. This condition leads to diarrhea, weight loss and malabsorption and it is only seen in a small number of patients. This increased number of microbes causes the fermentation of food within the small intestine producing hydrogen and other gases. This then results in degeneration of the mucosal layer which then causes the inflammation of the gut barrier. It is found that 30 to 85 percent of the patients with IBS suffer from this disease which then forms liver cirrhosis. Most of them are elderly people who are at the age of 94 years and both men as well as women are equally affected by this disorder.
What are the signs and symptoms of the disease?
Here are Some of the Common Clinical Features seen in SIBO including
- Bloating in abdomen and flatulence after eating
- Foul smelling stool
- Megaloblastic anemia which is due to malabsorption of Vitamin B12
- Pain in abdomen
- Mucus in stools
- Bloating aggravated by eating carbs, fiber and sugar
- Loss of weight
What Are the Causes for SIBO?
There are some of the causes that can lead to the overgrowth of intestinal bacteria including
- Weak immune system of the body
- Anatomical abnormalities in the small intestine
- Changes in pH levels of small intestine
- Malfunctioning muscular activity of the small intestine meaning the bacteria and foods are not removed properly.
Some Other Medical Condition Includes
- Celiac disease
- Low stomach acid
- Viral gastroenteritis
- Crohn’s disease
- Nerve damage
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Certain type of gastric bypass procedures
- Age: – It is mostly seen in older adults as they are more prone to the disease because they are not able to produce enough gastric acid that helps in breaking down the food.
- Gender: – Females are most likely to suffer from the disease as compared to men.
- Chronic disease: – People who suffer from connective tissue disorder like scleroderma, lupus or diabetes are at risk because their intestines are not working properly. Along with that the patients who have HIV have weak immune systems resulting in increased growth of the bacteria.
- Others: – Drinking excessive alcohol or history of bowel surgery reduces the activity of the stomach and produces less stomach acid.
How can SIBO be Diagnosed?
The doctor might ask for the clinical features of the patient along with the medical history of the patient. Along with that there is test performed including
- Stool test
- Blood test
- Breath test
Treatment of SIBO
According to Ayurveda, small intestinal growth is correlated with the collection of toxins known as Aama. It is caused due to eating indigestible foods like junk and oily foods or foods that have too much salt, sugar or are spicy. It causes the Agni to lower down and affect the proper functioning of the stomach which results in excessive fermentation. It can be easily managed through herbal medicine which naturally reduces the overproduction of bacteria along with calming down the digestive tract.
Planet Ayurveda Provides Herbal Medicine for SIBO
Planet Ayurveda is a private limited company that manufactures herbal medicine and provides medicine not only in India but also other parts of the world. These herbal medicines are prepared properly according to the Ayurvedic principle and are 100 percent pure, natural as well as vegetarian. Each of them are free from chemicals, preservatives as well as additives and made under the supervision of an MD Ayurvedic Doctor. Along with that they are free from side-effects making it safe to use and here are the list of herbal medicine including
- Mahashankh Vati
- Sanjivani Vati
- Belgiri Churna
- Praval Panchamrit
- Digestion Support
1. Mahashankh Vati
It is made from the formulation of herbs like Shunti (Zingiber officinale), Pippali (Piper longum), Suddha (Aconitum ferox) and many more. It is one of the best herbal medicines for reducing any kind of abdominal pain and helps in removing toxins from the body. This herbal remedy is very effective in balancing the pH levels of the gut and also decreasing the increased number of microbes.
Dosage:- Two tablets twice daily with plain water after meals.
2. Sanjivani Vati
It is one of the classical formulation made from herbs like Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), Ginger (Zingiber officinale), Pippali (Piper longum) etc. It is packed with anti-inflammatory, astringent and anti-bacterial properties making it perfect for treating SIBO. It is perfect for balancing the Kapha as well as Vata Dosha and removing Aama products in the stomach. Along with those helps in reducing ailments like weakness, pain and fatigue as well as reducing the excessive production of mucus.
Dosage:- One tablet twice daily after meals with water.
3. Belgiri Churna
It is one of the effective churna for balancing all the three dosha as it is made from the extract of a single herb known as Bilva (Aegle marmelos). It is very effective in reducing the burning sensation in the stomach as it consists of carminative properties. Along with that its antipyretic property helps in fighting any kind of bacterial infection.
Dosage:- One teaspoonful twice daily as prescribed by the physician.
4. Praval Panchamrit
It is made from different herbal minerals like Mukta bhasma, Sukti bhasma, Praval bhasma and many more. This herbal medicine effectively helps in managing the intestinal disorders and also treating ailments like nausea, flatulence by reducing the fermentation. Due to its rejuvenating property, it has been found very helpful in improving the health of intestinal walls.
Dosage:- Two tablets after meals with plain water twice daily.
5. Digestion Support
These capsules are made from the extract of herbs like Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Pippali (Piper longum), Jeerak (CyminumCuminum) and many more. As the name says it is helpful in supporting as well as improving digestion of the body. It helps in improving digestion and also relieves constipation as well as flatulence.
Dosage:- One capsule twice daily with water after meals.
Preventive as well as Dietary tips
- It is important for women to stop taking any kind of contraceptive pills.
- Avoid taking any kind of NSAIDs as well as Antidepressants.
- The intake of alcohol should be limited.
- Foods rich in probiotics should be increased as it will help in maintaining gut health.
- Vegetables and fruits like carrots, pumpkin, sweet potato, cucumber, kiwi, blueberries and pineapple should be included more in the diet.
- Dairy products like yogurt, cheese, custard or ice cream should not be included in the diet.
Contact Planet Ayurveda Support Team to provide you the costing/ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or Call at 0172-521-4030 (India), +91-172-521-4030 (Outside India) or Whatsapp at (+91) 9915-593-604.
As discussed above it is concluded that if SIBO is left untreated then it can lead to many digestive problems and complications. It can be easily managed through herbal medicine which will not only treat the related symptoms but will remove the root cause of the disease as well.