Endometriosis is an inflammatory, painful and hormonal condition in which the endometrial tissue (which normally lines inside the uterus) starts growing outside the uterus.
Most commonly, the growth is on the outer surface of the uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries, and in some cases, it can also spread inside the abdominal cavity.
This endometrial tissue which grows outside the uterus continues to shed blood in sync with the menstrual cycle. This shedding of blood causes much pain, irritation, and inflammation associated with endometriosis.
The outside growth of tissue over time leads to the formation of scar tissue which in turn results in organs like (intestines and urinary bladder) sticking together. This can cause severe pain during menstruation, cramping, chronic pelvic pain, constipation, bloating and pain during sex.
Signs and Symptoms of Endometriosis
- Heavy painful periods and cramping during menstruation.
- Pain during sexual intercourse.
- Bowel symptoms like constipation, bloating or IBS like symptoms.
- The problem in conceiving (Infertility).
- Deep sharp pain during urination/ bowel movements.
Ayurvedic Concept of Endometriosis
According to Ayurveda, Endometriosis is a Sannipatika condition involving all the three doshas, but primarily it is considered to be a Kapha problem due to overgrowth of tissues much like a tumor. Due to the involvement of blood and inflammatory conditions related to endometriosis, it is considered as a Pitta problem.
Vata is also involved causing much pain and displacement of endometrial cells from their original location to outside the uterus. It is mainly a condition of Vata pushing Pitta, pushing Kapha out of their natural place.
Therefore, the Sannipatika nature of the disease involves the three doshas. This condition of endometriosis is very well explained in our Ayurvedic granthas like Charak Sanhita ( Chikitsa Sthan , Chapter 30 , Shloka no. 14,15 )
Endometriosis and Natural Treatment
Unfortunately, most treatments which include long term use of painkillers (NSAIDS and Hormones) normally can provide temporary relief, but also have risks of damaging the gut lining and other complications.
Ayurveda provides a total holistic approach to heal the root cause of endometriosis, including pain reduction, removing of unhealthy tissue, and healing the damage. Ayurveda provides a long term, sustainable approach, which helps in reducing chronic inflammation, balances the hormones, and improves the body’s immune power through diet, herbs, rasayanas and physical therapies like Yoga and meditation.
Plant Based Anti-inflammatory Diet for Endometriosis
- Green leafy vegetables like Brussels, sprouts, broccoli.
- Nuts like almonds, walnuts, peanuts etc. can be taken daily.
- Plant based proteins like legumes and whole grains.
- Include plenty of fresh fruits.
- Fish or poultry.
- Flax seeds which are high in fibers, antioxidants and are helpful in estrogen related conditions.
Foods Which Should be Avoided
- Dairy Products.
- All kinds of processed food and gluten things.
- All Corn.
- Red meat
- Excess of tea and coffee
- Saturated and trans fats
Treating Endometriosis With the Help of Yoga
As there is pain and inflammation associated with endometriosis, Yoga Postures helps a lot by reducing the discomfort. Various Yoga Asana allow stretching of abdominal and pelvic regions. The breathing exercises help to calm down the pain, helps to relieve bloating and promote feelings of relaxation.
Yoga poses like Supta Baddha Konasana (Reclined Bound Angle Pose) and Supta Virasana (Reclined Hero Pose) are advised during the time of pain, bloating and discomfort.
Some other poses include Salamba Sarvangasana (Shoulderstand ) is really helpful in women with endometriosis as it helps by balancing the endocrine system.
Herbal Treatment of Endometriosis
Ayurveda Provides Many Herbs Which Are Able to Treat Symptoms Associated with Endometriosis.
- Haridra: Haridra (Curcuma lonhas anti-inflammatory properties. It really helps to get relief in pain and inflammation.
- Shallaki: Shallaki also known as boswellia serrata contains boswellic acid, which helps to reduce the inflammation by suppressing the overgrowth of inflamed tissue.
- Lodhra:Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa) helps to regulate the menstrual cycle. It helps in treating various bleeding disorders.
- Shatavari: Asparagus racemosus helps to reduce symptoms associated with endometriosis by increasing the strength and immunity of patients.
- Ashoka: It is also called Saraca indica. The bark of ashoka tree is used to prepare the medicine as it helps to relieve symptoms of endometriosis.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera is an adaptogenic herb , so it helps to improve the symptoms of endometriosis by increasing the immunity of patients.
- Arjuna: Arjuna also known as Terminalia Arjuna is the best herb for relaxing mind and heart. It helps to relieve stress and anxiety related to endometriosis.
- Udumbu: Its scientific name is Ficus glomerata. This herb helps to treat many symptoms associated with endometriosis.
Treatment of Endometriosis by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda provides Endometriosis Care Pack for Ayurvedic Treatment of Endometriosis. It is a combination of the best herbs which are very effective in Treatment of Endometriosis. We use 100 % pure and natural herbs and these are without any preservative or additive.
This Herbal Pack Contains Following Formulations
1. Female Health Support
This herbal formulation helps to balance vitiated vata dosha in the body as vata dosha is the main cause of gynaecological disorders. The capsules contain standardized extracts of Ashoka(Terminalia arjuns), Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa), Shatavari(Asparagus racemosus).
Dosage – 2 capsules twice daily after meals with water.
2. Aloe Vitals Capsules
Aloe vitals is very effective as Aloe vera is the main ingredient of these capsules. This capsule has anti inflammatory and cooling properties. It has rejuvenation ability which helps in rejuvenation of the endometrial lining of the uterus.
Dosage – 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals only.
3. Pradrantak Churna
Pradrantak churna is a combination of herbs like Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa), Ashok (Saraca indica), Udumbar (Ficus glomerata), Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna). It is the best herbal remedy for female health problems. This combination naturally balances disturbed female hormones.
Dosage – 1 teaspoonful twice daily with water.
4. Shatavari Capsules
Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) is the main ingredient of these capsules. These capsules are enriched with antioxidant properties. It is a potent herb to maintain hormonal imbalance in females. It is the best herb to treat infertility.
Dosage – 2 capsules twice daily after meals with water.
6. Boswellia Curcumin
Boswellia curcumin is a combination of Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and Curcumin(Curcuma longa). It is an effective remedy to treat inflammation and relieve pain.
Dosage – 2 capsules twice daily after meals with plain water.