Sjogren’s syndrome is an autoimmune disease that affects the glands that secrete fluids such as tears and saliva. These glands are the lacrimal glands and salivary glands respectively. This leads to dryness of the eyes and mouth or lips.
Types of Sjogren’s syndrome
There are two types of Sjogren’s syndrome i.e. primary or secondary
Primary Sjogren’s Syndrome: This condition develops on its own, not as a complication of any other disease. This condition is more dangerous.
Secondary Sjogren’s Syndrome: This condition occurs as a result of another disease, such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis.
People are more prone to have Sjogren’s Syndrome
Sjogren’s syndrome can affect people of all ages, although it usually occurs in adults older than 40 years. Also, women are at a greater risk of developing the condition than men.
The body organs affected by Sjogren’s syndrome
Sjogren’s syndrome attacks the lacrimal glands and salivary glands resulting in reduced production of tears and saliva which leads to dryness of the eyes and dryness of mouth or lips respectively. It can also gradually influence other parts of the body such as the liver, kidneys, lungs, nerves, skin, thyroid, and joints.
Causes of Sjogren’s Syndrome
The exact cause of developing Sjogren’s syndrome is not specifically known, but the possible cause of this disease is the abnormal functioning of the immune system. When the immune system mistakenly attacks the body’s healthy cells and tissues. That’s why it is known as an autoimmune disorder. This syndrome can also be associated with other autoimmune diseases like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. Other factors that may cause Sjogren’s syndrome are a genetic, environmental and bacterial or viral infection. Because women are more likely to be affected, so menopause is also considered a cause in women.
Complications of Sjogren’s Syndrome
Sjogren’s syndrome usually affects the eyes and mouth and gradually affects other organs of the body including the liver, thyroid, lungs, and kidneys, etc.
The most common complications include eyes and mouth:
- Photophobia, blurred vision and corneal damage.
- Dental cavities: Due to less production of saliva and dryness of the mouth.
- Fungal or yeast infections in the mouth like oral thrush
Few common complications related to other organs:
1. Lungs: It can cause bronchitis, pneumonia or other dilemmas in the lungs.
2. Liver: It can cause liver cirrhosis and hepatitis.
4. Kidneys: It leads to difficulties with kidney function
5. Lymph Nodes: Some people with Sjogren’s syndrome are at risk of developing lymphoma (lymph nodes cancer)
6. Nerves: It can develop peripheral neuropathy which includes numbness, itching and tingling in the hands and feet.
Symptoms of Sjogren’s Syndrome
The main symptoms of Sjogren’s syndrome develop due to inflammation and swelling of the salivary glands and lacrimal glands which are shown by dry mouth and dry eyes respectively.
Symptoms associated with dry mouth are:
- Decaying Of Teeth
- Gum Disease
- Persistent Dry Cough
- Difficulty In Speaking And Eating
- Impaired Voice
- Oral Thrush
Symptoms associated with dry eyes are:
- Burning Sensation In The Eyes
- Mucus Discharge From Eyes
- Itching In Eyes
- Gritty Sensation
- Swollen Eyelids
- Arthritic Pain
- Continued Fatigue
- Dry Skin
- Skin Rashes
- Dryness In Vagina
(Reference: Ashtangahridraya, Sutrasthana, chapter 1, shloka 12)
This shloka explains: Vata is dry, cold, light, rough, minute and mobile. All these symptoms are associated with Sjogren’s syndrome and even the patient becomes restless.
Ayurvedic aspect for Sjogren’s syndrome
According to Ayurveda, the cause of the disease is the agitation of the three doshas or the Oja and doshas i.e. Vata, Pitta, and Kapha of the body. These doshas control and supervise the functioning of body organs. Among these tridoshas, Vata and Kapha are more active. The disturbed Vata causes dryness and Kapha causes low saliva production.
Beneficial Herbs for Sjogren’s syndrome
Ayurveda provides many herbs which helps to maintain balance in tridosha of the body, especially pacifies the Vata and Kapha dosha. These herbs are the following:
- Grape Seed
- Wheat Grass
- Green Tea
1. Shalaki: It contains Boswellic acids, which provide anti-inflammatory action.
2. Curcumin: It has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-oxidant properties.
3. Wheat Grass: It is a natural antioxidant (3) and helps to remove toxins from the blood and liver.
4. Grape Seed: It is a great source of vitamin C. It improves the functioning of the immune system. It possesses an antioxidant property that helps to eliminate harmful toxins from the liver and blood.
5. Spirulina: It has anti-inflammatory activities and packed with vitamins and nutrients which helps to increase the immunity of the body.
6. Green Tea: Green tea comprises antioxidants known as polyphenols which increase the body’s ability to combat free radicals and also stimulate the immune system.
7. Amla: It is also a great source of vitamin C and antioxidants which improves immunity power and works against infections.
These are used to formulate various herbal formulation. Planet Ayurveda gives very effective herbal remedies by adding the best quality of the herbs for Sjogren’s syndrome.
Ayurvedic products for Sjogren’s syndrome by Planet Ayurveda
The products offered by Planet Ayurveda are the following:
- Green Essentials Capsules
- Boswellia Curcumin Capsules
- Ashwagandha Capsules
- Shilajit Capsules
- Youth Restora Capsules
1. GREEN ESSENTIALS CAPSULES
These capsules are made of many herbs such as Green Tea (Camellia sinensis), Grape Seed (Vitis vinifera), Wheat Grass (Triticulumaestivum), Amla (Emblica Officinalis), Chlorella (Chlorella Vulgaris), Alfalfa (Medicago sativa), and Spirulina (Spirulinaplatensis). These herbs help in strengthening the immune system, removal of toxins from the blood and liver, fight free radicals, infections, and promote the energy level of the body. These capsules increase the production of blood and repair tissue. Due to the presence of these herbs, green essentials capsules become rich in vitamins, minerals, and iron. It also prevents dryness.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily post meals, with lukewarm water.
2. BOSWELLIA CURCUMIN CAPSULES
Boswellia-Curcumin capsules contain two herbs such as shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and turmeric (Curcuma longa). These two herbs make these capsules strong Vata pacifying herbal remedy. These capsules of Planet Ayurveda helps to combat the antibodies which cause Sjogren’s syndrome. Shalaki comprises Boswellia acids, which is responsible for its anti-inflammatory action. Curcumin possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. Its antimicrobial action plays a very important role in Sjogren’s syndrome.
Dosage: 1 to 2 capsules twice daily post meals with lukewarm water.
3. ASHWAGANDHA CAPSULES
The pure extract of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) herb is used to make these Ashwagandha Capsules. These capsules are known to show satisfying effects in treating SjogrenSyndromeThis herb pacifies tridoshas in the body especially Vata dosha. It is a great adaptogenic due to which it is very effective to manage stress. It has an anti-inflammatory property and provides comfort from insensitivity and tingling sensation. It also helps to improve the immune system, so prevent the immunosuppressive action of the body. Along with these properties, it improves blood quality. Ashwagandha enhances blood production by increasing bone marrow cellularity and also improves the quality of the blood.
Dosage: 1 to 2 capsules twice daily after meals with lukewarm water or milk.
4. SHILAJIT CAPSULES
The herb Shilajit (Asphaltum) of the best quality is added to prepare Shilajit Capsules. These capsules are a great natural remedy for Sjogren’s syndrome. It helps to improve immunity and makes the patient’s body able to combat fatigue, weakness, tiredness. It possesses restorative, rejuvenating, adaptogenic and anti-inflammatory properties. This herb also helps in cleansing and detoxification of the body. The shilajit capsules pacify the Vata dosha.
Dosage: 1 -2 Capsules once or twice daily with plain water or milk post meals.
- For adults: 1 capsule twice daily post meals
- For children: 1 capsule once daily
5. YOUTH RESTORA CAPSULES
The best quality herbs included in these capsules are Grape Seed (Vitis vinifera), Bhumi Amalaki (Phyllanthusniruri), Green Tea (Camellia sinensis), and Colostrum of Cow (Bovine colostrum). These capsules improve and increase metabolism. It also eliminates free radicals from the body.
Youth Restora capsules pacify the worsened Vatadosha. Therefore, this herbal remedy is good for Sjogren’s syndrome.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water post meals.