One in four people in the world experience mental/ neurological disorders at some point in life. Ayurveda is the science which not only treats your disease but also maintain a healthy person’s healthy life as said in its aim (prayojana)- “”Swasthashya swasthya rakshanam aturasya vikara prashmanam ch”. Recent cases of mental disorder are found, whether, in the daily life of a housemaker, sportsperson, or in the entertainment world too and reviews on ayurvedic studies of ancient times also reveal that psychiatry also had their role in those eras. So, this article describes “depression” along with its management and treatment.
Depression is more than sadness (SAD – Seasonal Affective Disorder), many people use the word depression to explain the feeling like – life’s struggle, setback, disappointments, but it’s more than that.
Depression varies from people to people like
- Feelings of helplessness and hopelessness.
- Loss of interest in daily activities.
- Sleep changes like oversleep or no sleep (insomnia).
- Anger or irritability.
- Concentration problems – trouble in focusing, making decisions, and remembering things.
- Unexplained aches or pains.
Vishada is witnessed in the Arjuna Vishada Yoga, the first chapter of Bhagavat Gita(verse 14), where Arjun mighty warrior describes his helpless condition as- Arjun says, my limbs feel weak and loose, my mouth dried up with heat, tremors all over my body and I feel horripilation,my bow slips from my hand and my skin is burning all over, my brain is whirling and I can’t stand any longer.
According to Dalhan-[vaka kaya chitavsaadvishadam] i.e vishada is the state of avsada which is characterized by lassitude of spirit,body and mind,where the physical and mental retardation of the individual is understood.
Aetiology/nidana (Cause of depression): basic nidana- 1.Asatmendriyathsamyoga- unwholesome contact with the objects may be in the atiyog( excessive use) ,ayog ( no use) ,mithya yog( incorrect use), and sometimes it also occurs due to social abuse.
Pragyaapradh- Poor lifestyle habits such as overwork, lack of sleep, poor diet, and lack of regular exercise, knowingly doing wrong things.
Parinaam-results of all misdeeds
PATHOGENESIS: vishada affect our mind (Mana) by above nidan and thus leads to-
- Mano vibram (loose mental ability)
- Buddi vibram (loose intellectual power)
- Chestha vibram (loose stamina to do work)
- Dukita(distress, unhappy or grieved )
- Manah kheda(feeling of depression)
- Asiddhi bhaya(fear and anxiety or apprehension of failure)
- Bhramatimanas(wandering mind)
The complications that can be seen
- Most importantly this disorder causes social isolation.
- The person can’t cope up even with a situation like he is indulged in conflicts whether it’s about family or professional life.
- It leads to weight gain and thus causes heart disease.
- Physical illness
- Pain in the body and anxiety.
- Hazardous drawback of this disease is suicidal feelings.
Management of mental illness in Ayurveda is done on 3 broad aspects-
- Daviyapashya chikitsa- Devine therapy
- Yuktivipashya chikitsa
- Satvajayaya- Ayurvedic psychotherapy
Herbal supplements by Planet Ayurveda
To deal with depression Planet Ayurveda has contributed its best. Which not only will help to strengthen the nervous system but will bring clarity in the higher mental functions of the individual. So, to tackle this disease you must follow this Ayurvedic Medicines for Depression as described in the Depression Care pack. It includes the following medicines:
1. Gotu Kola Capsules
- Ingredients:- Madhukparni
- Scientific name: Centella Asiatica
- This herb has an anti-hypertensive effect.
- Titrated extract of Centella Asiatica (TECA) and a good therapeutic effect on the nervous system.
- According to the Vedic point of view, Aacharya Charaka described it especially as “Medhya Rasayana” here Medhya means memory power. Hence, this product helps in enhancing memory power.
2. Medhya Churna
Ingredients – Combination of
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri)
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Sunthi (Zingiber officinale)
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis)
- Brahmi – It is also Medhya.
- Vacha – extract was found to suppress the primary as well as secondary problems related to the brain.
- Control the number of motion.
- Improvement of appetite.
- Ashwagandha – its powder significantly relieves from symptoms of anxiety neurosis.
- Shankhpushpi – according to the Vedic point of view this is also a Madhya Rasayana hence this also helps in memory enhancing.
So, in combination, this product helps in depression and stress management.
3. MEMORY SUPPORT
- Licorice/ Yastimadhu- (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
Significance– Brahmi is a brain tonic and Vacha helps to stimulate the normal functions of the nervous system, they synergistically act along with Shankhpuspi because of its medhya and cooling properties, it is a great choice to alleviate depression.
Yastimadhu-[tridosha hara] also manages all tripods of life – vata (mobile functions of body), pitta (intelligence, digestive power, anxiety, and behaviors), kapha ( balance functions and other factors).
In addition to this, the product helps in sleep disturbances and memory support also.
4. STRESS SUPPORT
- Tagar( Valeriana wallichii)
Significance– Brahmi, and Ashwagandha acts as nervine tonics. They help to normalize the hormones.
“Tagar – Tagar is also used in apasmara is one of the mental disorders, hence this product is helpful in depression.
- Gotukola Capsules – 2 capsules twice daily with plain water.
- Medhya Churna – 1 pinch of powder twice daily or 1 gram twice daily.
- Memory Support – 1 capsule twice daily with plain water.
- Stress Support – 1 capsule twice daily with plain water.
Diet and Lifestyle
- Learn to do self-love rather than running for show off and for fake appreciation. No matter whatever color, height, size, race, community, religion, the gender you belong to.
- By change in daily routine like exercise.
- Take a balanced diet.
- Eat healthy and balance.
Others Procedures To be Taken
- Appropriate lifestyle
Psychological and psychodynamic methods [SATVAJAYAYA] are assigned to individuals, this helps for the normal state of patients. So, must follow the above-given guidelines to manage depression.
�”Hate the disease, not the person who is fighting or is the survivor of it. “Talk with him/ her all they need is the support “and we can pull him/ her out from that hole (depression).