Obesity is a condition in which excessive fat gets accumulated in the body. This condition of ‘extreme overweight’ is mostly linked to the consumption of excess calories, along with heredity factors, hormonal problems and sedentary lifestyle. Obesity can affect individuals of all age-groups.
Obesity is determined on the basis of calculation of a person’s Body Mass Index (BMI). For calculating BMI, the weight of a person in kilograms is divided by his/her height in meters squared. If the BMI of a person is between 30 and 40, the condition is described as obesity; while a BMI between 25 and 29 indicates that a person is overweight.
Obesity can become the causative factor of a number of serious, life-threatening diseases, such as heart diseases, Type 2 diabetes, stroke, high blood pressure and different types of cancer.
Some common lifestyle choices which can lead to obesity include:
- Eating big food portions
- Consumption of high-fat processed foods
- Consumption of alcohol in excess
- Disturbed sleep patterns
- Lack of physical activity.
Some of the best home remedies which can be very beneficial in controlling obesity and supporting weight-loss efforts in a natural manner are:
- Green tea is an excellent home remedy for controlling obesity because it has abundance of nutrients and trace minerals like vitamin C, zinc, carotenoids, selenium, and chromium, etc.
- Green tea can promote weight loss by restricting the absorption of fat by the body and increasing its capability to use fat.
- Lemon juice is a very effective remedy for fighting obesity. It perks up the body metabolism by eliminating toxins; thereby facilitating the process of detoxification. In addition, lemon juice also improves digestion, and helps the body in getting the nutrients which are needed for burning the fat.
Apple Cider Vinegar
- Another popular home remedy for combating obesity is Apple Cider Vinegar, in raw and unfiltered form. Apple Cider Vinegar is basically an effective preventive measure against obesity because it can help the body in breaking down the fat, and thus, prevent the accumulation of fat and the resultant weight gain.
Honey and Cinnamon
- A combination of honey and cinnamon can also support a person’s weight-loss efforts. Honey promotes fat metabolism and can, therefore, fight obesity; while cinnamon can combat insulin resistance so that overeating is avoided, and can also bring reduce oxidative stress which is linked with metabolic syndrome.
- Aloe Vera fights obesity by stimulating the metabolism of the body, and removing toxins from the digestive system and colon. Moreover, Aloe Vera also boosts energy consumption significantly and mobilizes unused fat in the body. The natural collagen proteins present in Aloe Vera ensure that the body works harder to absorb the proteins.
- Fennel seeds are known for their diuretic properties, and are a good remedy for short-term weight loss.
- Fennel seeds are helpful in quick weight-loss because they reduce water retention, just like other diuretics. Additionally, Fennel seeds are also useful in managing constipation, abdominal gas and indigestion.
- Obesity can also be controlled with the help of Cayenne Pepper as it is rich in ‘capsaicin’ which stimulates the body to burn fat and use more energy.
- Furthermore, Cayenne Pepper also fuels the digestive process, and can suppress the urge of over-eating which results from the poor absorption of nutrients in the body.
- Mint leaves have excellent digestive properties which are primarily helpful in maintaining good digestive health. Regular use of Mont leaves over a period of time can help in fighting obesity by easing the digestion process and increasing the body metabolism.
- Curry leaves are also an amazing home remedy for controlling obesity, as well as diabetes resulting from obesity. The presence of an alkaloid called ‘mahanimbine’ in Curry leaves has proven anti-obesity and lipid-lowering properties. In addition, it can also bring down the levels of cholesterol and triglyceride in the body.
- Cabbage can promote weight loss and fight obesity because it has high fiber content, but is low in calories. The ‘tartaric acid’ present in Cabbage has the ability to hold back the conversion of sugar and other carbohydrates into fat.
- Moreover, Cabbage also contains ‘phytochemicals’ which can bring about an improvement in the imbalance of estrogen metabolism which is responsible for the storage of fat by the body.
- The above-mentioned home remedies are very effective in controlling obesity. However, together with these remedies, it is also important for overweight people to adopt healthy lifestyle changes, drink plenty of water throughout the day, and eat more plant-based foods instead of processed, fast foods.