What is Obesity?
It is a condition which is characterized by accumulation of excess fat in the body resulting in other health problems.
By measuring the BMI (body mass index- the measurement of body fat on the basis of weight and height), obesity is determined. In case if the desirable BMI is between the range of 18.5-25. One is overweight, if this range is 25-29.9. One is obese, if the range is 30 or more than that.
What Are the Causes of Obesity?
- Weight gain occurs due to poor choices of lifestyle, oversized food portions, lack of sufficient sleep, lack of physical activity, excessive drinking, unbalanced diet, insulin resistance, hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian syndrome, medications, psychological issues, Cushing’s syndrome and social issues.
- Hormonal issues and genetic factors can also lead to weight gain or obesity.
What Are the Complications of Obesity?
- Obese people are at greater risk of developing high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, gout, gallstones, arthritis, insulin resistance, heart diseases and certain cancers.
Herbal Treatment for Obesity
- Herbs are natural, safe and effective and you can definitely take help for weight loss. If we talk to someone, we will be advised with a lot of natural foods and herbs along with some exercises which helps in reducing weight.
- Here are some beneficial herbal home remedies which helps in reduction of excess weight.
Green Tea for Weight Loss
- Green tea is rich in anti-oxidants as well as thermo-genic properties which helps in reducing the accumulated fat in the body.
- The process of heat production in the body is known as thermogenesis. It increases the fat oxidation as well as increases the consumption of energy which helps the body to burn fat faster.
- EGCG in the green tea helps in reduction of fat in the body which is absorbed by the body while eating. The benefits of green tea are not limited to weight loss but it also helps in reducing the cholesterol levels.
- Put 1-2 teaspoon of good quality green tea in the cup. Add hot water over it and allow it to brew for sometime. Taste this tea. Let it brew for another few minutes, if it is not strong enough as per your taste buds. Taste it again.
- You can brew your tea for more time if you want to raise the strength of green tea. Normally many people brew green tea for 3-5 minutes.
- After brewing strain the tea and add a teaspoon of honey (if you want to sweeten the tea) and drink this tea on regular basis.
- In morning have this tea instead of regular tea. It helps in burning more calories throughout the day as it will speed up the metabolism in the morning.
- Daily intake of at least 4-5 cups helps in making you feel full and helps to avoid over eating. Having a cup of this tea prior or after meals is a wonderful idea.
Ginseng for Weight Loss
- Ginseng has been used as a traditional medicine by Chinese since years for improving stamina, energy as well as overall well being.
- According to some researches, it is proved that ginseng is very effective in loosing weight as well as controlling diabetes.
- Ginseng has the ability to reduce the capability of fat storing of the cells.
- It helps in improving the body’s ability to deal with emotional, physical as well as environmental stress because ginseng is an adaptogen.
- Ginseng is available in dried as well as fresh form.
- Ginseng helps you in 2 ways to deal with weight loss.
- Firstly, ginseng will load you with energy so that you can be more active and spend more calories.
- Secondly, it will boost up your metabolism so that you will store less fat in the body.
How to Make
- Add water in a pan and start boiling it.
- Add ginseng to this boiling water.
- Leave it and simmer it for an hour and and strain this drink.
- One can add cinnamon or honey to this drink as cinnamon will make it aromatic and honey will decrease the bitterness of ginseng herb.
Guggul Herb for Weight Loss
- Guggul also helps in weight loss and gum guggul contains guggulsterone which helps in lowering the cholesterol levels of the body.
- Guggul stimulates thyroid functioning which makes your metabolic rate to come at optimum level which further results in easy weight loss.
- It is a safe herb for weight loss as it does not stimulate central nervous system.
- Guggul is available in the form of tablets. Take 25mg as a single dose and total 3 doses of guggul.
Hibiscus Tea for Weight Loss
- The flowers of hibiscus tea can be used in the treatment of obesity. It contains amylase inhibitors which helps in reducing the absorption of fats as well as carbohydrates.
- Hibiscus helps in breaking down the fat as well as carbohydrates so that they can easily be flushed out of the body.
- Hibiscus flowers reduces bloating and sheds weight as it is a mild diuretic.
- Hibiscus is rich in anti-oxidants and gives your body the advantage of strong immunity.
- Hibiscus can be used in the form of tea.
- The tea can be consumed as cold or hot.
How to Makeet fresh hibiscus flowers, separate the petals and place it on a paper.
- Allow the flowers to dry and leave for few days.
- When dried take a cup of dried petals of hibiscus flowers. Put them in water for 2 days then strain it and keep in the refrigerator.
- Whenever you want to have a cup of hibiscus tea, prepare it and add honey, cinnamon or lemon juice to it for better taste as well as aroma.