The Amazing Health Benefits of Pomegranate Juice
Pomegranate is a wonderful and popular fruit in the Middle East, India and other Asian countries. They are growing and being used in the whole world, owing to their many health benefits as well as nutritional value.
It is a wonderful source of dietary fiber, vitamin K and vitamin C and several B vitamins also. Other nutrients include potassium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, selenium, zinc, folate and manganese. The fruit is also rich omega-6 fatty acids.
The arils along with rind have many medicinal benefits due to the presence of antioxidants like anthocyanins, polyphenols, tannins and flavonoids.
Pomegranate’s antiviral, anti-inflammatory and antitumor properties helps in treating inflammation, viral infections and several cancers. This fruit can be enjoyed by anyone watching their weight, due to its low caloric values.
The seed pods or arils can be eaten raw as well as made into juice. The juice has a tart flavor. The arils can also be added to savory dishes, soups, smoothies as well as desserts. The seeds of pomegranate are also used to make oil, which has many health and cosmetic benefits.
- Pomegranates are wonderful for your heart. Pomegranate juice helps in improving the blood flow to the heart and also helps in clearing the clogged arteries. Its anti-atherogenic benefits helps in reduction of the growth of plaque formation. It is rich in polyphenol content.
- A study conducted in 2005 at the University of Naples in Italy, it was found that the juice of dark pomegranate is very beneficial in the prevention and treatment of atherosclerosis which is the most serious condition nowadays.
- According to another study it is found that intake of 800 mg of pomegranate seed oil lowers the levels of triglycerides and also improves the high density lipoprotein (HDL) ratio.
- Drink 1 glass of freshly extracted pomegranate juice daily, so as to boost the health of heart. Another option, you can also eat 1-2 cups of pomegranate seeds.
- Pomegranates are wonderful for people who are dealing with high blood pressure or hypertension. The high antioxidants, polyphenols and vitamin C stimulates the nitric oxide production, which helps the blood to flow easily and prevents arteries from blocking.
- They even lower existing plaque formations in the arteries resulting in the reduction of risk of strokes as well as heart attacks.
- According to some studies it is believed that consumption of pomegranate juice inhibits the activity of serum angiotensin converting enzyme and reduces systolic blood pressure.
- According to another study, it was found that pomegranate juice consumption could be considered in the context of both pharmacological as well as dietary interventions for hypertension
- Intake of at least a glass of freshly extracted pomegranate juice on the daily basis for better results.
- Another option is to make fruit salads and smoothies with pomegranates.
- Always keep monitoring your levels of blood pressure when taking pomegranates to lower blood pressure, especially if you are taking blood pressure medication.
- Arthritis pain and joint pain is a major problem among old people, especially women. Include pomegranate juice in your diet so as to treat osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and overall joint pain. Pomegranates juice has anti-inflammatory as well as antioxidant properties which helps in blocking the enzymes known to damage joints and cause pain as well as stiffness.
- According to a study carried out, it is found that pomegranate fruit extract contains certain compounds which blocks the enzymes that can lead to joint damage.
- Another study was carried out in 2011 and it was concluded that daily intake of pomegranates lowers the serum oxidative stress and lowers the disease activity in the patients with active rheumatoid arthritis. More research is still going on.
- Have at least a glass of pomegranate juice regularly for better results and if you are taking medicines, always consult your doctor first before using it.
- Make a mixture of equal quantities of pomegranate seed oil with a carrier oil. Then massage it on the affected painful joint. This can be done once or twice a day.
- This superfood is even beneficial for the people who are suffering from iron-deficient type of anemia. The iron present in pomegranates increases red blood cell count which ultimately cures anemia.
- This results in an increase in the concentration of hemoglobin in the blood and even induces healthy blood flow. It helps the body in absorption of iron, due to the presence of high amount of vitamin C.
- Drink a cup of pomegranate juice daily with your breakfast, if you are suffering from anemia.
- Have this juice for at least a month or more so as to treat various types of anemia.
- Another wonderful benefit of pomegranate juice includes protection against cancer. It helps in treating and preventing cancer due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Pomegranate juice induces antitumor effects on various types of cancer cells such as prostate, lung, breast and skin cancer.
- According to some researches, it was concluded that cytotoxic activities of pomegranate extract or pomegranate juice is likely to be valuable for the treatment of prostate cell line [by induction of apoptosis].
- According to a study carried out in 2014 study, it is believed that pomegranate juice is best for the treatment of cancer. Molecular Carcinogenesis focuses on the anti-proliferative effects of pomegranate juice in breast cancer cells.
- Pomegranate juice is also beneficial in improving the memory as well as helps in prevention and treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. The polyphenols present in the pomegranate juice are thought to provide positive cognitive benefits.
- According to a study carried out in 2011, it was concluded that daily intake of pomegranate juice helps in improving the memory and functional brain activity in middle-aged as well as older adults with mild memory complaints and issues.
- According to another study which was carried out in 2006, it was concluded that pomegranate juice decreases the accumulation and deposition of amyloid in the brain by 50 percent from Alzheimer’s disease.